Skip to main content

Dodge / Inter 4wd Diesel Wanted

More
8 years 7 months ago #102960 by Old Yella
G'day mate, just out of curiosity, what became of the AA120 4x4 you were offered? Cheers, Paul.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #102961 by WoodrowPhathom
Thank You HCVC and 'Corresponding Members',

Reckon, each of us, seemingly 'kookty older truck types' likes to feel part of something like a community,
hcvc providing a wealth of help and community for me.

Paulc20:
Roger that, input / out put shaft aught be parallel,
looks and feels antagonistic to smooth and easy running.
I do worry about the 'crystal' / readily shattering rep of these front diff.

Yet, your reply / advise is consistent with Manufacturers specs, etc.

And whilst I am very grey of hair, I remain
ready, willing and able to take advice.

Thanks Paul.

MrsMackPaul:
Q1. Angle parallel, Roger that,

Q2. 6354 Perkins, yes this seems to be,
must be my choice,

Random catch up today with a fellow Dodge / Inter / Fargo / Plymouth truck (nut) enthusiast.

He, very much in the restore to 'original school' only.

Me, do anything to save them from the 'filthy scrappy',
encourage all / any enthusiast to simply plan to get em going, get em in rego and enjoy a cool ride,
and at best,
If able restore to original (plus, better).

We found 'common ground' today around the idea of a refreshed/modern version match of engine,
specifically for 'IKE' the 4wd Inter,
re; a contemporary Perkins 6354.

My wanting Ike to be my primary 'tow / tipping' vehicle.

Old Yella:
I have followed up on the one that 'got away',
the very cool AA120, 4wd.

It seems sold and for now lost to the ether.

I do hope it turns up, returned to purpose, is proudly driven.

Had the money in my back pocket, yet no space then to keep it, so no negotiation then thought worth entering in to.

Storage space for a few trucks is no longer an issue.

Going Forward, FYI:

The personal, if indulgent, inclination is to hold and operate a small fleet of 'serviceable / work ready' vintage truck, around my broad range of 'primary production' / farm enterprise.

Working them with respect, if comparatively limited, this whilst knowing they are reparable.

Recently got a 'knock back' offer on a rusted, every panel dented and chassis chopped up 'chrome cross' dodge LV.
It in a remote paddock,
Offer $200 cash plus,
'fire wood' cut, split and delivered toward a negotiated purchase settlement.

Mostly I wanted the panel section, behind the seat, straight and clear of any rust, for an existing 'B Series Cab' project.

Yeah, I know, we all know, the 'filthy scrape's' will most likely get the lot, the 'dodge wreck' for $20, may be.

Acknowledging the service 'commercial vehicles' have provided, and respecting the machinery with registration / restoration, seems very appropriate,
it is a supremely rewarding hobby,
cool even (per all the thumbs up and smiles given, when driving an old girl 'out and about').

Thanks HCVC

Woodie

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 7 months ago #102962 by Swishy
WoodRow
Gudday M8

RE: filthy scrappy
M80

Eye wouldn't go th@ far to say they B filthy scrappy
there R sum good scrappies th@ go all out to retreive ol rust & store it for the next owner

but like all businesses they B limited to room to store these treasures

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 7 months ago #102963 by Old Yella
Thanks Woodrow, hopefully it will be resurrected and have many more years of useful life. I have one more project(1959H.D Panhead) to finish before I can start on my AA120 4x4. Cheers, Paul.

More
8 years 7 months ago #102964 by WoodrowPhathom
Hello HCVC

Yeah, I have a warm local lead on suitable 'Inter Cab' , already parted from their chassis.

The lead acknowledged, swapped for a solid 'Ford' truck series contact and the locations of a few examples sighted in paddock, around the district.

This seemingly is a very 'country / regional' way of doing things, around the very broad community of local motor vehicle enthusiast.

Swishy:
Cheers and yes Tamworth / 'Tam Vegas' does have at least one 'scrappie' , who by reputation is not filthy, Reds.

Red, reputedly does set aside vehicle, items of possible value, worth to collectors and restorers, and negotiates a credible price per item.

Similarly an Associate in the Tweed Valley, Northern most Coast of NSW, North of Lismore, mate of a mate, sets aside stuff he can readily recognise as 'significant' to collectors or vehicle restorers etc.

Reportedly this is a tough gig. Suggested that there are laws against recycling by re using:
Re selling 'scrape', beyond an items scrap worth, W. E.

Invested energy worth, seemingly dis regarded in 'eco law and regulation calculation' : re use verses recycle.

Old Yella:
AA120, yes please an update on the project will be appreciated.

Regards

Woodie

More
8 years 7 months ago #102965 by defective
The old '48 Commer was purchased from a scrappie with a conscience. He'd owned it for a couple of years after cleaning up a farm, and said how most scrappies now acknowledge the collector market as something to be tapped in to...

...but when the price of scrap falls below $50.00 a ton, a man has to put food on the table... so some of the treasures have to go....

More
8 years 7 months ago #102966 by WoodrowPhathom
Replied by WoodrowPhathom on topic Scrappies et al
Hello HCVC and Correspondents,

defective,
Yes I would like to believe, think, hope 'scrappies' have switched on to a market, opportunity to gain even a few dollars more from what they have.

My limited network around TamVegas, of MR, HR collectors and restorers telling many tales of spiteful compactor operations by 'scrappies'.

If whilst working / traveling around the district I spot a vehicle, in paddock or shed, under a tree or tucked away, that I suspect may be of interest to some one, I let them know about it. EG. End of Upper X Creek Rd, behind a shed, not visible from the road, a yellow short WB Ford 500 series truck, duelies on a single axle.

There are also people who seem to be at or in fact a 'hub' , around which information flows for all brands and breeds of motor vehicle. I try to keep them posted.
Matt @ Old Skool, Taminda, spotted this , there, cheers.

Scrape price, I acknowledge the dollar does rule.
Seemingly there is a tussle between our being part of a 'Community or an Economy'.
APEC 2007(?), Sydney: Countries / Community could not meet, because they are 'too angry and upset with each other', yet as economies, all is good?

Suspect the 'dollar' can still be a dumb arsed decision maker.

old yella,
Cool and looking forward to images.

59' HD Pan head. Nice.

My call would be a repro 'knuckle head' Bobber with a Baker 6 speed, or , may be a 'Brough Superior Repro'.

Yeah, reproductions, sorry. I farm and am always time poor, does not mean I don't love the classic and original.
Cycles are a life long love, yet an indulgence for now.

Regards

Woodie

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #102967 by defective
...please excuse the off topic everyone...I s'pose that "great scrap roundup" put on by one of the major metal recyclers a couple of years back chasing scrap out there in the bush did nothing at all for the reputations of a local or small scale scrappie who knows when he sees a relic that should be saved ....from any old shit going straight into that bloody crusher...
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167039 by Kruizin
Interesting thread guys.
I bought a D1410 4x4 ex fire truck and put a Hiab on the back, and I've got a tipper frame sitting in the the paddock waiting for me to get my shit together.
Biggest problem I have is that the 281/4sp combination doesn't want to go faster than 85, even with 8.25-16's all round. I've got a three speed joey (over and under) in the shed, but I'm looking for that elusive T34 box to help it grow some legs. I figure the 281 may not want to go up hills with all that extra gearing, so I've got a couple of 345's in the shed too.
I'm interested to hear how your project is going. .

Cheers,
Col

'73 D1410 4x4 Tray
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Sarge.

More
8 years 2 months ago #167051 by bparo
don't forget when these were built the truck speed limit was 50mph/80kmh and stayed there well into the 1980's. Even some modern stuff such as Unimogs are limited to that speed by the manufacturer (although a boss I had once had the limiter moved to 110kmh and thereby voided his warranty. With full weed tanks on it was unstable as well as being a pain in the neck to drive (and even worse with a partially full tank).

A lot of the modern 4wd trucks still only do around the 80km/h mark (or at least 5 year old Hino and Isuzu's do).

If you can find an overdrive box with the same length that would be the easiest way as if the length is different then your looking at changing multiple tail shafts which is the problem your joey box would give you. Another way would be to go to 20 inch rims and tyres to give you a greater circumference meaning the wheel covers more road each turn. finding and changing both diff ratios would be a third but painful option.

of course all the options bar the overdrive or joey will effectively raise your first gear ratio so reduce your crawling up slopes ability. It may not be a problem depending what your plans are as 1st is very low anyway.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds