Skip to main content

Isuzu gearbox wanted

More
11 years 2 months ago #106135 by invested energy
G'day blokes,

I've decided to bite the bullet and convert my truck so I'm looking for a 6 speed gearbox from an Isuzu FSR. I'm told the Q series box has broadest spread of ratios & tallest overdrive.

I've been given the good oil on making the thing fit behind a turbo Perkins 6354 (thanks Andrew) but I need a box to start with or even just a good idea on what to pay for one.

Cheers

Anthony

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #106136 by JBran
Replied by JBran on topic Re: Isuzu gearbox wanted
Pretty sure you might be able to check out some of the truck wreckers, or other truck places, or even the Isuzu place on Pt Wakefield Road. Let us know how you go too, I will be looking for a similar thing later ;) :D :)

More
11 years 2 months ago #106137 by beestings62
i put a isuzu motor 6bd1 & 6 speed gear box in a leyland terrier years ago i used the gear stick out of a isuzu as was easy to get gear shift working a chap up ask me yesterday if i wanted a motor

More
11 years 2 months ago #106138 by invested energy
Bloke at North East Isuzu has a brand new 5 speed for $3.5k, but couldn't say if that was an overdrive unit or not... methinks he's in knowledge is sales not trucks? I'll wait to see what else he turns up.

Is it only the six speeds that have overdrive?

Otherwise the response ha been patchy. One bloke has a BG6 "U" series that he says has "ratios nearly the same" as a Q series. Any idea on how I can check that?

Another reckons I'm looking for a MLD6Q but he only has recond units at $6k outright.

Any further ideas?

Cheers

A

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #106139 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Isuzu gearbox wanted
To the best of my knowledge, only the very early ('78 ish) 5 speeds were overdrive and they were pritty tall.
Very noisy shortly after new.. soon replaced with direct boxes in the next models.
They do vary quite a bit within the models.
A reputable Isuzu parts supplier should be able to give you the ratios in accordance with the letters on the box.
Our bloke here in Geelong was very helpful when we were swapping a few around.
About 1500 was the going rate for a s/h unit in as is condition. (that was around 12mths ago.

chocs 8-)

More
11 years 2 months ago #106140 by kenny-mopar
i dont know the ratios in the 6 speeds but back in the late 80s early 90s they used to top out at 140kmh :-X if your deadset on keeping the perkins go for it or the other option would be a isuzu 6BD1T with the 6 speed box ;)

More
11 years 2 months ago #106141 by dirty wheels
I deal with Japtruck Dismantlers at BerekleyVale on the NSW Central Coast (mr Google will give you his details) Peter, Boss man there, I have found him fair and knowledgeable (so far).

They have pretty big stocks of most things and freight anywhere you need it.

Spotted my uncles old UD cab / engine cut there the otherday. Chassis rails had blown out due to carrying a slurry in a tipper body for the last 3 years. Peter told me they had sold it to a punter in Pakistan. He said they will put new chassis rails in it and away it will go! Must have a lot of time on their hands.
DW :o

And remember

More
11 years 2 months ago #106142 by beestings62
i would use a 6 speed box if i was repowing a truck again i would go a 6bg1 or 6bg1t &box you have to watch your diff as i suffed the leyland one & i put a eaton no 3 in as well i got a top speed out of the leyland 130 km ph 100 loaded with 300 bales of hay cheers mate :D

11 years 2 months ago #106143 by
Replied by on topic Re: Isuzu gearbox wanted
Invested energy

I have used this place for bits for a long time now and they are really helpful and ship all over OZ.
New,Reco & second-hand parts for Hino, Isuzu, Mitsubishi and UD trucks.

Nippon Truck Salvage
2 Justin Road
Brooklyn
Victoria
03 9314 6796
sales@nippontrucks.com.au

Trevor

More
11 years 2 months ago #106144 by swamprat
Replied by swamprat on topic Re: Isuzu gearbox wanted
the isuzu 6 speed that is behind my 6bt cummins has a fairly high overdrive in 6th , one dealer suggested it may have been out of a bus , dont know if this is fact or not , can supply the numbers off the box if that helps you track one down , only odd thing is 6th gear position is around the corner so to speak , as in next to 5th instead of across & up but you soon get used to that

D1510 International 4wd 6BT cummins power steer

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds