Skip to main content

New owner of Ford Trader K500 1966 - new to forum

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #114397 by mjkohler
i. I'm new to the truck scene and need to learn to drive my new truck. It didnt come with a manual. I'm going to try and post an image of my dash board. If anyone knows what the switches for or can point me to somewhere online that can help me. It would be greatly appreciated. Some basic knowledge on braking would also be appreciated. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #114398 by
Hi MJK

is this the right one ?

If it is, ask away !... It's a 60 page original 1964 manual from my small stock. Wiring diags, and full spec etc.

Cheers
RS[ch128512]

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #114399 by mjkohler

Hi Roland, your reply is appreciated. I am not mechanical and will ask a heap of questions.

As you can see the layouts differ but I am sure the principals will be similar. The truck needs some TLC which I will provide. It would be nice to be able to drive it as well.

I guess todays question is what is the vacuum for? And what is yhe indicator showing?
Thanks again.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #114400 by old scrapman
mjk
I would say vacuum gage is for the brakes ,at very low or no vacuum brake pedal pressure to stop will be high and with older trucks always leave a lot more room to stop,front wheels in drain on other side of T junction is not a good look.
With older trucks unless you have a lot of money you will be the mechanic ,try to buy or scrounge manuals from Internet or old second hand book shops read the threads on forum about bedfords inters doges of similar age and if stuck post questions,it mite take a while to remember where we filed that bit of info but it is there some where.
Cab looks in good nick pictures of whole truck please.
Peter

11 years 3 weeks ago #114401 by
Hi MJK

Yes that looks like the truck in the book.
Here is the contents page.

Welcome to the forum MJK...
You will soon find that the members LOVE pictures ;)
So here's an offer for you :)

Get some good pics of your New toy and show us all, and if it looks as good as it appears to be ......

I will send you the manual !

Get your digicam clicking. ;)

Cheers
RS :)

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #114402 by mammoth
If you tell us where you are we might be able to find a mentor for you. Get yourself to old truck shows and don't stop asking questions. Get a few rides as passenger around the parades.
The 1st pic looks like you might have a 2 speed diff, so you must have one of the bigger versions of Trader ?. petrol or diesel?
Low mileage and clean cab, wow.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #114403 by mjkohler
Lol. Im going to have to get out my scrubbing brush first. The inside is definitely in better condition than the outside.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #114404 by old scrapman
mjk
We like em as thay come.
Peter

11 years 3 weeks ago #114405 by
Hi MJK

It will be easier for you with the manual, as it even gives advice on driving.
It looks like you have an Eaton 2 Speed axle, and its a diesel because of the vac gauge.
The book says the petrol ones had air/hydraulic brakes ?

Pictures please !

Cheers
RS :)

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #114406 by mjkohler
es it is diesel. And the Eaton two speed axle (whatever that is :-) ) is probably what the gentleman who was telling me it had two diffs meant. I look after a tetraplegic who used to teach truckies to drive. Even taught the teachers. He is stone deaf and hard to communicate with. However he was at pains to tell me the other day that a truck does not have two diffs. :-)

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds