Skip to main content

ud5 engine

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121385 by RocksnRoses
Replied by RocksnRoses on topic Re: ud5 engine
I bought a generator three or four years ago, with a UD on it, I didn't realise it was a two stroke until I went to pick it up, I knew UD had them, but never gave it a thought. I had to have a second look to see that it was a UD6 and not a GM. They are very similar in design, except the UD runs twin blowers whereas I think the 6 cylinder GM's only ran one.

Tacho may even know it, because I bought it off his next door neighbour, it had been a backup in the Snowtown Hospital. I bought it as a backup for our crusher generator.

I have been servicing it recently because we want to use it. It has only done 526 hours and runs as sweet as ninepence.

Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by RocksnRoses.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121386 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic Re: ud5 engine
Did UD also design the oil leaks as per GM ???

More
10 years 9 months ago #121387 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: ud5 engine

Did UD also design the oil leaks as per GM ???

No they didn't Grumpy... At least the couple I've had a bit to do with didn't......

RnR, Mate, make sure the Cooling system's SPOT ON
they're renowned for cracking heads...... & were heads made from 'unobtainium' back in the '80s.
Be a lot worse now I'd think..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
10 years 9 months ago #121388 by dodge truck
Replied by dodge truck on topic Re: ud5 engine
when you service the motor make sure you check oil in pump and govenor housing as they are not engine oil feed, and parts are getting hard to get for them as well

More
10 years 9 months ago #121389 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: ud5 engine
Rockin-roses

a video would be nice ;) ;) ;)

SEED this one of Roses should be ok ,it has a full water manifold along the top side of the head , early UD,s never had it , only having the water exiting the head via the front thermostat housing , if the water only exits the front it creates hot area at the back of the head which leads to cracking , the head we pulled off the ole UD4 in my old R200 had over 20 cracks in it and 1 really big old rusty one... any body running a UD these days I would strongly suggest getting the biggest radiator possible into your truck or doing something to increase the cooling system for the engine

More
10 years 9 months ago #121390 by binder
Replied by binder on topic Re: ud5 engine
g/day new here, saw the light on and thought id pop in?
as far as I no there were no new trucks sold here with Nissan 2 stroke diesels ?
but there were many repowers a most were due to a bloke named ken Hamilton . ken was the manager of diesel parts Sydney now mc quarrie group and he was a real wheeler dealer , in the mid 70,s he discovered a endless supply of used 2 stroke u.ds in japan. these engines were going to scrap because of japans pollution laws so not only were there plenty of used engines but swags of new parts all at scrap prices ! ken bought all he could get and the timing was perfect as petrol prices here were going up! . they were rebuilt and fitted to kt bedfords commers and p series diamond t,s to name a few and the cost was nearly halve of the price of a 4/71 at cleas but in the end the new parts ran out around 1980 so good luck on that search and ironically all those engines 3,4 and 5 cyclinder came from jap transit buses
the last I heard of ken was he spent a bit of time in the wrought iron motel for some sloppy book keeping
but that may have just been a rumour???
he was a great bloke and is part of trucking history in Australia bye for now

More
10 years 9 months ago #121391 by melonreo

they must be well muffled , not like I remember 25years ago :-?

More
10 years 9 months ago #121392 by melonreo
here is a few youtube comments

Detroit8V92tta

Detroit8V92tta 3 months ago

Damn Youtube and their limited characters! My Dad drove an old R190 Inter with a 5UD with a side pipe and sports muffler. One night pulling up Pretty Sally, she blew the fibreglass stuffing out of[ch65279] the muffler......hisssss.....boom! Then according to him ROARRR! Then and I quote him saying "she really went then!!" I would have loved to have seen it :)

10 years 9 months ago #121393 by
Replied by on topic Re: ud5 engine
....pretty sure John Huitt at Victoria Truck Wreckers in Somerton (Vic) still has an old UD 2 stroke inline for sale.....

More
Time to create page: 0.598 seconds