Skip to main content

More
10 years 1 month ago #139974 by truckit
3070 was created by truckit
Hi, All you inter guys out there, Always wanted a 3070 as a toy, If I was to look at a 3070 for historical club rego, and get it mechanically roadworthy, but keep it in it work clothes, tidy up any rust in cab, (small budget).
1)What is the main difference between a 3070A & a 3074B.
2) The cummins 903T, what to look for (problems) only want it as a historical club rego truck.
3) !5 speed RR, I presume for a historical non working truck should be alright.
4) Diffs and suspension, should I keep away from any particular brand or style.

What are your thoughts. I know there quite a few of you out there getting ready for the Crawling the Hume and busy with work, but I would appreciate any comments

Charlie :-/

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #139975 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 3070
Great truck Charlie, I had a couple of them years ago.
Not much difference between an A and a B, mostly the year it was built.
All the B's had the aluminium grill that went pretty much right across the front of the cab, the later A had the same grill I think, at least mine did. I had an A and a B.
Standard spec has 903 natural, 9 speed and SQHD 38,000 lb diffs with wedge brakes. 15 speed was an option.
The Eagles had 903 natural, 15 speed and Jakes as well as the red/white paint scheme and 38,000lb diffs.
The 3074 was the same except it had 44,000lb diffs either Rockwell or Eaton.
As far as I know, all the bogie's were on Hendrickson walking beam suspension which rides terribly.
The 3072 was the 8 wheeler.
Any with a VT 903 in them will have been retro fitted.
The 903's are a great motor, make sure it has the right inhibitor in it though otherwise electrolysis will set in very quick. The camshafts were a bit susceptible especially with Jakes fitted, but if it is running clean and not blowing white smoke there won't be anything to worry about.
Biggest problem with them is rust. Rust in the cabs, and because they are all double chassis rail, between the chassis rails.

Hope you get one mate, I love them.

More
10 years 1 month ago #139976 by truckit
Replied by truckit on topic Re: 3070
Hi Big Cam,

Thanks for the reply, your are a wealth of knowledge, your comments are much appreciated, like a lot of 4m guys, it helps when something comes up that I can afford, any 3070 will be nice, it a matter of them coming up for sale in reasonable fair condition, hopefully one with minimal rust in the chassis rails, give myself a couple of years to get it roadworthy as I will need to do it up in my spare time.

Many thanks
Charlie

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

More
10 years 1 month ago #139977 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: 3070
I reckon a great choice of truck and should cost a lot
Good luck

More
10 years 1 month ago #139978 by indianman
Replied by indianman on topic Re: 3070
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationG'day Charlie is this wat ur chasin?

Jon

More
10 years 1 month ago #139979 by andy950
Replied by andy950 on topic Re: 3070
SHHHHH Indianman, I got me eye on this one lol ;D

More
10 years 1 month ago #139980 by truckit
Hi Jon,

Yes something like that, but it's too far away for me to look at, looks good in photo and has the goods listed, cab rust doe's not look drastic, if any one look's at it or buy's it give us some feed back. I like the wooden go peddle.
Andy, your closer to it, go do an inspection and save it.

Thanks
Charlie

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

10 years 1 month ago #139981 by
Replied by on topic Re: 3070
That 3070 was not a bad truck
I worked with it on the harvest 3 or 4 years ago
I don't think it has done a real lot of work since

[IMG

More
10 years 1 month ago #139982 by truckit
Hi, old dog,

Well sounds like you know the history and condition, send me a PM if you don't mind. Good looking truck in it's days.

Regards
Charlie

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #139983 by andy950
Replied by andy950 on topic Re: 3070
Hey Charlie
Would like to save it im lookin at a couple at the moment, this one seems pretty good, another im looked at was a 3074, but it has white ants(rust) in the cab big time, the only option I think would be a donor cab,running gear wasn't bad though, all comes down to price really.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by andy950.

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds