Skip to main content

A compromise has been reached

More
8 years 10 months ago #159954 by rex
Hayseed, From my understanding there is some of the technology from the Detroit in the 6 cylinder Benz engine. to what extent I have no idea, Daimler own both so why not share some of the hard work. We have two Freightliners 112s at least I think that is the model, 450 Detroit's, the ones that keep the oil inside, so much so we get 40,000 Kms between changes and no top ups, great little Trucks.
To design an engine now and get every thing right is very expensive, as we move on more and more mergers / takeovers will occur, survival will be the dictator.
In my humble opinion we have reached a pinnacle in the power race, 700 HP engines might be nice for the driver, not so good for the owner. We need large power for the work we do, but I am starting to ask myself do we need 700 HP, well while I am not sure it is starting to look more likely no we do not.
The Mercedes are 600 HP 2800 nm Volvo's 700 HP 3300 nm, On the same work both with 295/80 22.5 Michelin multi D tyres, the difference in Tyre wear is significant, both Trucks finish the job with the same amount of man hours.
On the other hand sometimes we need 700 HP and it can be handy, however it probably explains why we have more Mercedes 600 HP than Volvo 700HP, just a matter of having the right balance.
The future Trucks, well at least within the next 25 Years in my opinion, will be small lightweight Diesel engines, possibly 250 HP driving a Generator, the wheels will be driven by Electric motors.
Just before you have your two bobs worth about my little bit of looking into the future, the Railways went from Steam to Diesel 60 odd years ago, the Diesel engines drove a Generator, the wheels turned because they had an Electric motor connected.
Trains hook up to Wagons, we prefer to say we hook up to Trailers, however you look at it we load them up and get the job done.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159955 by Giddy up Go
...Ha,ha, you just made my day 'Seed'...good one. That 'tin mine hill' one of the first sections my Dad gave me a 'steer' as a boy...com'in back relatively heavy,as you know only hill out there (that's why I was driving :D)...sweaty palm on the gear knob gett'in ready,revs dropping 'fairly' quickly....Wallenbeen was a good one...head out the window watch'in wheel nuts go round... ;D

"Gotta long way to go and a short time to get there....."

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 10 months ago #159956 by Swishy
SOON

bin bizzy

Watch n the paint dry

LOL

gotta dot 'T'z n cross me eyes

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 10 months ago #159957 by Cunning Stunt
That whole combination looks awesome Giddy, but that trailer!!! How straight is it!!! 8-) 8-)

Some play hard to get

• Swishy
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #159958 by Swishy
ReX
M8

bin bizzy ........ sauce n out paint
Look n fir sum GM/Detroit Alpine Green
the only way to inject sum life in the beast
iz wiff the dulux reco of donk
LOL

Feel sorry 4 U
az wen a beast fails 2 proceed U need all the words to deal wiff it

U may ..... or all ready have found all the cuz wordz
in German n Swedish 2 deal wiff U're lorriez

them beast listen n nose wot u're say n

LOL

@ the mo me box browny iz away get n nu points n plugz
Pix will B sum time off az me gotta sauce out a nu film from Kodak n C hoo can develop it

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOoEi0i4wcdWbyUZevSm129Kz05YP2sqN2Ei2yTZWLaE7sYckoU-9a_Q

We will C wot develops

LOL
cya

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Swishy.

More
8 years 10 months ago #159959 by rex
Swishy mate

Stop stalling, the World is waiting for the 2010 Mack.

I find it hard to understand why, just the right shade of Alpine Green is so important. Within a week after you paint it no one can see the Green, Engine smothered in greasy Black oil.

If the delay is due to Camera problems, I have a lovely little Leica you can borrow.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
8 years 10 months ago #159960 by geoffb

• Swishy
More
8 years 10 months ago #159961 by Swishy
YUP

Not only but all so rubd out

LOL

cya

More
8 years 10 months ago #159962 by geoffb

More
8 years 10 months ago #159963 by rex
Swishy mate
Have you been naughty ?
Rex

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds