Skip to main content

LTL research

More
8 years 1 month ago #168210 by markV
LTL research was created by markV
Hi All.
Always had/have a liking for Ford LTLs and the time has come to go fishing. I've never had anything to do with Louis' so need some help from the deep well of knowledge in this forum. I understand how to assess the mechanical side of things but was wondering about assessing body work. What/ where do you look for. Cab rust and bonnet cracks obviously, but where are either the hidden places or the places that make it too far gone. What are the weak points.
There are lots of examples to look at, just need to know What I'm Looking At!!
There was a lovely example of a Kentucky in Vic on Gumtree last week and that's all it lasted - a week! Was thinking more of a day cab myself.
Let the correspondence begin!
Cheers Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168221 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic LTL research
MarkV,The cabs are prone to rust badly..
usually in the Gutters, A Pillars,The Plenum Chamber, & the bottoms of the Doors are the Most common spots..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 1 month ago #168231 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic LTL research
Having worked on many LNTs and LTLs ... all of what Seed said and depending on age/use/abuse ... around the front cab mounts can get pretty rough too ..... cracking mainly

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
8 years 1 month ago #168235 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic LTL research
I think the bonnet hinges used to break also, probably an easy enough fix.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168237 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic LTL research
I probably should have also said that most of them I worked on were log trucks so took a bit of a beating

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
8 years 1 month ago #168247 by markV
Replied by markV on topic LTL research
Thanks fellas for the feedback
I've been waiting for someone to reply the weakness of the Louis cab was the cab when it comes to rust! Which you could almost say that's what Hayseed said!.
Is there an oracle or bible on Louisvilles in Australia , especially the LTLs. Years built, chassis numbers, production changes? Things like, from what I see on the net all the American ones have the square head lights where as our early ones had round. What year did they change to square in Aus. Would there be a chassis number for the change etc. Is that kind of information available? I'm not interested in the Aero models. Thanks again Mark

More
8 years 1 month ago #168266 by hayseed
Mark, there is a Book called "Louisville to Sterling" That was published back in 2012 by Daimler Australia (or whatever they were calling themselves then).Was supposed to be for Staff & Dealers only.
But a few have fallen through the cracks..
here's a scan from It, that may answer some of your questions..

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Attachments:

More
8 years 1 month ago #168377 by markV
Replied by markV on topic LTL research
Thanks Hayseed, that is interesting reading. Do you know where I could get a copy of that book? Did a quick online search and couldn't find much information but I did see that the State library has a copy so if I get desperate I can go and look at theirs.
If anyone out there has or knows of a copy that is available let me know,

More
8 years 1 month ago #168418 by hayseed
Mark Like i said, It was Published as an "Inhouse" publication.& were not for retail sale..
There was one on Ebay about 18 Months (or so) ago, & It went for over $350.(& I think It was Closer to $400)

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #168794 by Wrongway
Replied by Wrongway on topic LTL research
G'day Mark, I drove this old girl on and off for a couple of years pullin a fridge van to Brissy or teh chippy tippy I'm easy like that, was a RR 15 direct, 425 CAT, 4.11's, out of 6 lorrys to choose from this was my fave i even turned mah nose up at the airbagged T650 in favour of her, came up noice with a tub which wasn't very often, good luck with finding one i dun think ya will be disappointed, someone arksed me once wether it was a Kentucky to tell the truth I dunno.

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Wrongway.

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds