Skip to main content

QUESTION TIME

More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #182443 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic QUESTION TIME

hayseed wrote:

Swishy wrote: #16
Why duz Mrs Fuller Not like U shift n from Low reverse into Hi reverse on the run in a Road Ranger

Sum of us need to ;) :P ;)

cya

§

Swish, # 17.. Why would you want/need to???

Coz sometimes ya gotta launch it backwads too .... LOL

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by hayseed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #182447 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic QUESTION TIME
#16....I remember once I went past a building site.....instead of going out of my way to turn around
I elected to use high reverse to back up a quarter k..........now it would not take off ......so low was used to get moving
then in to high ......the main problem was the large ratio gap...that left us chugging along till we picked up speed...
also the change to high was that rough .that I thought.. hhmmm... I am not going to do that again......but ...
there was a nice turn of speed when we did get going...........BUT when empty I did use high reverse quite a bit............
As for the secret gear bit.........I have only used an 18 speeder a few times....but the old 13 speeder....I thort that the
only reason you didn't use low gear in high range was that it duplicated another gear ratio....so ....I just assumed that was
the case with the 18 speeder..................BUT I cood b wrong..................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by BillyP.

More
7 years 1 week ago #182450 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic QUESTION TIME
I think low gear hi is about between 4 and 5 low direct, could mistaken tho.

More
7 years 1 week ago #182451 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic QUESTION TIME
Billy P, reckon you are pretty near spot on, if you pulled that low gear when in high range, was pretty near to identical, or too close to what would be 5th gear in low range. Unless my memory is completely shot, those old 13 speeds with the push-pull switch as well as the sideways button were labelled as Lo-Lo as in starting gear, next move up would be actually labelled as First gear as in normal 4 speed 'H' pattern. For those who don't know them you had 2 x normal H pattern shifts, 4 splits in the top range, plus the Lo-Lo which made a total of 13. Good old box once you got used to them. Also made them in an underdrive version, again from memory, heaviest one I had seen was 1213 lb, but IDSTBC. Dave

More
7 years 1 week ago #182452 by dno
Replied by dno on topic QUESTION TIME
Been awhile but the low to high reverse gear shift used to work not too bad if you got going in low shifted to the neutral position before selecting high then gently
back into the reverse possi.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 1 week ago #182454 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic QUESTION TIME
.dno............that sounds as though it might be ok.............with care...........
...............................Billy.......................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
7 years 1 week ago #182456 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic QUESTION TIME

werkhorse wrote: Coz apparently the bearings aren't strong enough in that gear for the loads imposed.... And I believe there is a lubrication problem in that gear too...

... Or so I've been told ;)

Not too sure about that Werk.. as there is only 4 bearings in the front 1/2 of a Roadranger (2 on each countershaft) I can't see how It would put anymore load on the bearings than being in any other gear. BISTBC

Silly low (As I call It) can be handy if your running out of Momentum at an intersection/roundabout & need to grab a "quick" gear.As you can do It a a bit smoother & quicker than a full compound shift...

Or so I've heard..LOL

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 1 week ago #182458 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic QUESTION TIME
@ times had to do long backups wen MT
nothing unusual 1k
lookn out back window wen MT n with a clear view (no ramps etc to blok the Vu)
long WB truck to trailer makes it easy not like a car trailer the thing th@ can make U wander is wen the front wheels hit a ruff bit
also if U back up thru a muddy section momentum can get U thru
If eyem in low reverse on a dusty yard the engine fan @ max revs makes a dust storm
Reason to change on the run cos the clutch shudders take n off in Hi Reverse MT weight 20t
Easy to change lo to hi
Flat out on the govonor in lo
preselect Hi .. in to neutral on jakes to kill revs
wen engine bout idle pull the cog selector in to hi reverse B 4 U loose to much momentum

Cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed

More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #182459 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic QUESTION TIME

Swishy wrote: #16
Why duz Mrs Fuller Not like U shift n from Low reverse into Hi reverse on the run in a Road Ranger

Sum of us need to ;) :P ;)

cya

§

Swish man I can answer you this for sure and be 100% correct after hauling 100's of 1000's of tons sugar cane were you spend as much time going backwards as you do going forwards in the paddock

The road ranger boxes that everybody loves except me are only any good for going forwards as the reverse is gear shaft is only supported on one end and can and does break right out the side of the box I have seen this happen a fare few times and the box is only good for parts then
When harvesting cane it quite often falls over when burnt and even on heavy plant cane crops when green it goes ass up and you have to harvest the cane the way it fell so you harvest down the drill then back up and do it again so we spend all day splitting into high range in reverse and it can be done smoothly with no noise but it takes practice

We need to split these trucks in reverse when they are grossing 25 ton or more and with practice they can handle this ok

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #182460 by dno
Replied by dno on topic QUESTION TIME
Are those older genuine low Klm trucks you see for sale being used
in hi reverseto keep the Ks down ? haha
Speedo goes in reverse when you back up.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by dno.

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds