Skip to main content

Anyone heard of reversed gearbox fitted behind normal gearbox?

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #183039 by JOHN.K.
Cliffo,your AS has a one piece housing for the SD and the 4sp.There is a one piece housing to mate up a Perk to a 5 speed,fitted to the AS172.Rarer than RHS,but I have one.However,you can fit the Perk and 5sp to your truck by swapping the crossmember from the AACO into your chassis.You will have to fabricate sideplates,but you can do this with just a welder grinder and drill.Knock out the rivets holding the existing crossmember ,and make your new pieces to fit these holes and use HT bolts.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JOHN.K..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183049 by 600Dodge
The joey is under, direct, over but its stuck in direct, another job I'm yet to get to.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183054 by cliffo
Thanks John K I want to fit the 5 speed box out of a perkins AACO into Inter AR160.....Is this possible?

More
6 years 11 months ago #183058 by farmershaun
John are you saying Cliffo can achieve this and by either of two ways?
On another note, how much do you want for your Joey box? I think a backward facing Joey is my only simple (sort of) way to get the taller ratios I'm after.
It could give me more than a diff and overdrive box combined, for the price of only one (presumably).
I could visit you and be home in the same day. I'm half way between Sydney and Brisbane.

International D1610 V8
Leyland tractors:

More
6 years 11 months ago #183062 by 180wannabe
Cliffo, I had a similar idea as you a few years ago. I haven't gone ahead with it though, because technically the truck would then not comply with the criteria for Sth Aust conditional (club) rego. Maybe things will be different after July 1st?
Anyhow, i was going to use a direct 5 speed box from a petrol AACO 182 and put it in my AS162. I was going to have to use the bell housing from the AACO (and i think the flywheel and clutch from the 6-282) as well as the gearbox cross member, as the 5 speed is a bigger box and requires a lower cross member. John K is right about having to fabricate new cross member side plates, although i removed the side plates from the chassis of the donor truck. With the AACO cross member you have different rear engine mounts and at least these are available new (reproduction). I don't know if the bolt pattern for the Perk is different from the petrol sixes, if so you would also be looking for a bell housing from a petrol, to mate it up to your engine. The L,R&S 182's are different again.
I had no desire for more speed, just an extra gear for poking around, which is what a lot of club runs are.
So to answer your question, at the time I thought it would be possible to fit a 5 speed with a reasonable amount of work, after you have gathered all the parts required, bearing in mind my plan was to do it while the cab was off.
Tailshaft modifications will be likely and cost should be factored in.
And if you fit an overdrive for more speed, just remember you still have to be able to stop the thing.
Just a thought re actual speed, is your speedometer 2-speed compensator working?

More
6 years 11 months ago #183068 by Blackduck59
I have a joey out of a Dodge.
Pic's look the same as 600's, 4 bolt in the input, 12 bolt out. Model 7231-D 2.14 under, direct and .85 over drive.
Leading edges of the teeth are in very good condition which would say a good operator or was not used much.
Was offered the 5 speed out of it as well and stupidly past it up, only $200. Did not fit with my plans at the time.
Still undecided about using the joey as I have since scored a couple of RT 610's

More
6 years 11 months ago #183071 by farmershaun
A Joey that has an under drive of 1.8 mounted backwards would give .55 overdrive.
That's what I'm talking about :-)
But a taller overdrive would work with a slow 2 speed diff :-)

International D1610 V8
Leyland tractors:

More
6 years 11 months ago #183072 by cliffo
Thanks 180 Wannabe I do not want to go faster but lower the revs while travelling at normal speeds. It certainly looks like fitting the 5 speed is not as straight forward as I had thought. Maybe a joey box will be simpler

More
6 years 11 months ago #183073 by cliffo
Hi Blackduck Do you want to sell the joey box you have? If so let me know as it may be the simplest way to go.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183075 by Blackduck59
cliffo,
Sorry at this point I am still not sure if I will be using it. Need to get my project on the road and check it's performance.
Add in I am in Western Australia.
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds