Skip to main content

Anyone heard of reversed gearbox fitted behind normal gearbox?

More
6 years 11 months ago #183076 by atkipete
Have heard that running a gearbox reversed causes the oil seals to leak - not sure why.
Have similar issues with my old Dodge - lack of roadspeed, over revving engine and a big gap between 3rd and 4th ( four speed box) The latter would obviously get worse if I up the gearing. What about one of these six speed Jap boxes ( Hino or Isuzu ) with direct in fifth and overdrive top? Anyone done this, or even looked into it ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183088 by Mrsmackpaul
a lot of the input shaft seals have like a small mark molded into them like thread to throw the oild back away from the seal
I cant think of what these are called
Dont disregard transfer cases out of old 4x4 tractors and loaders as a lot of these have a high and low range
You can also get bolt on to the PTO shaft of a tractor different step up gear boxes like from 1 1/2 - 1 , 3 - 1
I wouldnt just like at joey boxes because everyone wants them so maybe think out side the square

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 11 months ago #183094 by asw120

Mrsmackpaul wrote: a lot of the input shaft seals have like a small mark molded into them like thread to throw the oild back away from the seal

Paul

Labyrinth.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 11 months ago #183101 by JOHN.K.
I have a Fuller 3A62,ratios as quoted.if you use it back to front,this will more than double your tailshaft speed .In other words /engine revs 2000/tailshaft revs 4280.This is a big jump,and the tailshaft will have to be short as possible.The box has 1600 series round flanges which are easy to mate up to smaller unis by making flat adaptor plates.The tailshaft mods you can do yourself if you have a fair size lathe and are a good welder.The big advantage of flat flanges is if this turns out ratshit,you can turn the joey box around the right way,and have a normal overdrive,and be able to split your shifts.Box is $400 pick up.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183107 by farmershaun
Sold! See you Sunday week!
I'm flat strap at work and on the farm til then :-(

International D1610 V8
Leyland tractors:

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #183108 by Mrsmackpaul

asw120 wrote:

Mrsmackpaul wrote: a lot of the input shaft seals have like a small mark molded into them like thread to throw the oild back away from the seal

Paul

Labyrinth.

Jarrod.

no thats not it dunno the old brain is busy thinking of other farm stuff at the moment and it will become clear as day at 2 in the morning ;)

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183109 by JOHN.K.
Cliffo,your old motor(240 ABD?) will bolt to the flywheel housing and flywheel of a C1600(281 /282),and also the similar housing from the Army acco.The army acco has the 5speed bellhousing you want,as well.And the crossmember.You also need the flywheel and starter.This will not fit a Perkins of any type.If you are going for originality,the ASD 160 had a P6 Perkins and a 1 piece housing.I cant remember ever having one of these housings.The ASD 172 had a R6 perkins,a rare motor ony out for 1 year,as they had serious problems with the timing chain.The R6 housing and flywheel fit the 6/354 Perkins. I do have one of these housings.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183110 by JOHN.K.
Atkipete,simple ,dont just fit the gearbox,fit a motor and gearbox.A fellow was round a few days ago with a C line Inter with a 6BB1 and box fitted.said it purred like a kitten and went like a rocket.Which is precisely why the SBR422 killed Inter and Dodge petrols stone dead.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183117 by ray
Paul, maybe the word your after is scroll.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183122 by PaulFH
Yes, Ray & Paul, have heard them called slingers too.
Good luck,, Paul.

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds