Skip to main content

Leader Challenger

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #186499 by Dave_64
Slightly off topic, but out and about with a mate earlier today, went and had a look at a Leader "Challenger". NOT for sale though!
6V92-13speed direct bushranger, DS series Eaton diffs, in VGC undergoing refurb/repower with 8V92. Bloke told us that to the best of his knowledge, only about 25 ever made.
Good solid unit. Wasn't all that familiar with the bonnetted version, had seen plenty about with plastic Mack cabs with Cat engines in 6 & 8 wheeler versions.
Assembled in Brisbane area?? Who actually made them, and any knowledge of what became of them? Interesting looking jigger.
AND, of course, stupid here never thought to get any pics of it.
Dave
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Dave_64.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186506 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Drive About Truck Pics
leader was owned by Cyril Anderson,and was his thing,when he died the family closed it down.The Leaders were made in Toowoomba,in a shed beside watson?Wilson? Engineering also owned by Anderson.The strange thing was while Cyril(Curly) was a billionaire,his brother "Snowy",lived up the road from me in a tin shed,surrounded by Norton 16Hs and Big Fours.Does Western Transport,Westco Mazda,GWA, ? ring a bell.All Anderson companies.Not to mention half share in MTA.,which he started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
6 years 8 months ago #186510 by JOHN.K.
The Challenger is supposed to use a C line IH cab.I remember Deen Brothers had a couple of them,with 3406B Cats.And the Deen signature of BLACK smoke.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186512 by Tired Iron
Replied by Tired Iron on topic Drive About Truck Pics
Dave
Google Western Transport.
These pics taken at Beenleigh 2011 I think. The cab over I last saw at Gatton Museum, which also has a lot of Western Tpt history in it.
I think the bonneted one attached, also taken at Beenleigh, is a Leader. Look like the one you saw?
There was also a restored bonneted Leader at Gatton.
I think too there was Leader thread on here some time go too-BIDSTBC
Cheers

Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #186513 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Drive About Truck Pics
The Challeneger used a Nissan UD cab..
Dave, There's a Bloody good book about the Anderson family, & the WESTCO Leader & Mack Australia History...

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/11167-leader-challengers

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/truck_Chat/765-leader-truck

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/13966-leader-trucks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by hayseed. Reason: added an extra links

More
6 years 8 months ago #186514 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Drive About Truck Pics
Actually picked the book up today, here in Geelong, apparently only 14 copies left. A quick flick through, has lots of pics, info, specs etc. Checked with a windscreen mob, the Challenger has a windscreen that has a part number for a UD, one mob want $750, National windscreens want $350 fitted, both companies have to order it in, Hmmm.
Door handles for the cab, getting hard to get, look like Ford XF ones, have a couple of new ones in the cupboard from years ago when working on XF taxis, how good is that.
One good thing about the cab, No Rust to repair..

The only bit of info not listed I want, the gear shift pattern for a a Spicer SST 1214 box.
Gilly

More
6 years 8 months ago #186516 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Drive About Truck Pics
Back around 79 Oilmin setup an Oil rig at the Mereenie Field in the Northern Territory, they bought 2 Leader long bonnets setup as winch trucks.
Cat power, think RR main box and 4 speed RR auxiliary box. Last time I was out there was mid 90's and they were still there.
May have some pic's buried in boxes, will have to rummage through them
Cheers Steve

More
6 years 8 months ago #186527 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Drive About Truck Pics

gilly wrote: Actually picked the book up today, here in Geelong, apparently only 14 copies left. A quick flick through, has lots of pics, info, specs etc. Checked with a windscreen mob, the Challenger has a windscreen that has a part number for a UD, one mob want $750, National windscreens want $350 fitted, both companies have to order it in, Hmmm.
Door handles for the cab, getting hard to get, look like Ford XF ones, have a couple of new ones in the cupboard from years ago when working on XF taxis, how good is that.

One good thing about the cab, No Rust to repair..

The only bit of info not listed I want, the gear shift pattern for a a Spicer SST 1214 box.
Gilly

Hmmmm, Is there something you're Not telling us Gilly.. :unsure:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #186531 by JOHN.K.
Walsh Engineering? And is snowy anderson mentioned ?The family business was Anderson Agencies,and they were Panther agents,among other things.They are reputed to have fitted springs to all the Dowty forks they sold,due to the rough roads in the area.Went to the auction when the truck assy closed,the later forward F/G cabs went for peanuts,but the early Mack type cab over cabs went for thousands each.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
6 years 8 months ago #186545 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Drive About Truck Pics
BMG at Five Islands Rd Pt Kembla had this Leader in the early 70's. I think it was powered by a small V8 Cat engine. I regret not getting a picture of the ACCO beside it.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds