Skip to main content

11 22.5 countersunk rims tubeless

More
5 years 6 months ago #196348 by Rod1418
Gday All,
I’m chasing 3 tubeless 11 22.5 countersunk rims to fit on my 1418 Benz. I need 2 for the steer and 1 for a spare. I have an Eaton diff so the rear wheels are already the bigger size.
I’m not in a screaming hurry but keen to track some down. I live in Gippsland Victoria
Cheers Rod

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196359 by JOHN.K.
I used standard ISO rims and countersunk the holes myself....Any original rims would be from the 70s ,and probably quite rusty...........I think the first of the euro buses bought by the BCC had c/sunk tubeless wheels...MANs and Volvos ......
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
5 years 6 months ago #196368 by steveb
DAF rims fit , have them on my 1418

More
5 years 6 months ago #196398 by bigcam
I think you might find on a 1418 the front axle has the tapers around the studs that just slide off and then you can use the flat nuts and later rims.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196405 by JOHN.K.
Nope...if you remove the cones,the wheels arent centered any more...............ISO hubs have a register that fits closely inside the hole in the rim to support the wheel...........never seen this in a coneseat wheel......The Benz studs might be metric,but would need to be 20x2 to suit the washer nuts.......English studs are 7/8 BSF....It would be possible to make an adaptor and replace the studs........but you are into territory that needs engineering approval,and professional drawings submitted to the RTA.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196414 by Zuffen
You could have hub-centric rings machined up for it to centre the wheel and then rely in the nuts to hold the wheel on.

Stacks of vehicles (cars, trucks and trailers) run with hub-centric rings on wheels.

I personally have 4 vehicles (no trucks) that do this.

Car sized rings are sold by wheel and tyre shops plus eBay.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196420 by JOHN.K.
Easier to cut a small bevel on each stud hole.......Ive done the bevel with a 45deg valve seat cutter in a slow speed hand drill,but the bulk ones I did with a big radial drill...........now sitting out in the weather...Even if not exact,they soon even up in service.............The only issue I had is to get all the same type wheels............otherwise the hand holes wont line up,making blowing up tyres difficult......I had wheels paired,but theyve been mixed up............front wont matter ,of course................If you re used to spiders ,handhole alignment is something to watch out for.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196423 by rex
Gentlemen
Have a very close look at the taper it is either concave or convex depending on it's origin being British or German it is not a straight angle. While the PCD is all but the same and can be interchanged the taper is not truly interchangeable because of the curvature.
But as Swishy says what would I know. Then if DAF have a tubeless wheel with tapered holes that don't require spigot mounting then it will probably work.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
5 years 6 months ago #196429 by JOHN.K.
Thats true ,Rex,in fact I think even some British wheels had two or three angle bevel...........however ,some owners of Army ACCOs are just bolting on late tubeless supersingle rims ,without any bevel at all,and relying on the taper nuts to hold.............which they may do,provided they are tightened every few miles until they seat in.....An ACCO owner told me he intends to use alloy rims,which is a definite no..........the alloy isnt strong enough to support the wheel on a taper seat.,they must be clamped up against a flat face.........A lot of Army Acco owners have never been associated with trucks,and dont have any mechanical experience either.

Time to create page: 0.498 seconds