Skip to main content

Old Race Trucks

More
8 years 10 months ago #32908 by TSM
Replied by TSM on topic Re: Old Race Trucks
Hi guys. Im new on this forum and I stumbled on the chat about the old b mack "mean machine". I tried to look at the video link but it seems to have disappeared. Im building a model of the old girl and have a couple side on pictures but none of the inside or the rear. Can anyone help me on this please? Thanks guys. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #32909 by John Whale
Replied by John Whale on topic Re: Old Race Trucks
hello all there has been a 190 i think for sale in wallan(vic) it was an old race/drag truck by the look of it

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #32910 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Old Race Trucks
TSM, Is this the one

Or this one or are the same one

www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc...nMG_LnMAiBQ4Rse82BvQ

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
8 years 10 months ago #32911 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Old Race Trucks
here's thread about this (& a couple of other) race truck..

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1397390525/0

But TSM no pics of what you're looking for :-/

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 10 months ago #32912 by Fred in Geelong
Replied by Fred in Geelong on topic Re: Old Race Trucks
G'day fellas, one of the groups l'm in on Facebook, someone commented about this B model one night and a couple of blokes that ran with Billy Gordon in the 70's reckoned that you could always pick him coming towards you cos he had the 871 wound right up and was going like the clappers, so you just pulled over and waited till he went by. It was safer, as he had a real sway going. But they reckoned he only had two speeds, flat knacker and stopped. With regards the race trucks, one day a fair few years ago, l was going east on Queensberry street in North Melbourne and Paul Freestone's black Mobil Delvac W model crossed in front of me heading North. Back when the race trucks were still bread winners during the week

More
8 years 10 months ago #32913 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Old Race Trucks
Hi all,
It's not all doom and gloom, truck racing is still alive and well, and believe it or not is on the growth again.
Legendary driver Charlie Zammit is now looking after the sport in Australia while young Steve Zammit now builds and maintains the trucks as well as drives one of them. Have a look at the Australian Truck Racing website on Google to be found.
There is 4 rounds this year, two in Winton Vic. and two at Wakefield Park NSW.
The first round is this coming weekend July 4&5, followed by August 8&9 at Wakefield.
If you have never been, or want to relive the great days of truck racing years ago, it's a great spectacle so get along and have a look at 9 ton with 1200hp on board trying to stop from 100mph (the limited speed) for a corner with 15 other lunatics also trying to do the same thing [ch128514][ch128514][ch128514].
Another legend, Frank Amaroso from Victoria, finally won his first ever championship last year after trying for 25 years.
There is a few still racing from the early days including Ol mate with his 8v92 in a Transtar, not the fastest thing by today's standards but bloody entertaining to watch him muscle it about the track and shift cogs with the other hand.
The kiwis are now part of the action and they also have a pretty flash KW here for the season with ace Shane Gray as steering wheel attendant.
It will never be like Oran Park was, but it is still brilliant entertainment with lots of fantastic people still involved.
Cheers
Bretto

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
8 years 10 months ago #32914 by newto
Replied by newto on topic Re: Old Race Trucks

Hi all,
It's not all doom and gloom, truck racing is still alive.

have a look at 9 ton with 1200hp on board trying to stop from 100mph (the limited speed) for a corner with 15 other lunatics also trying to do the same thing [ch128514][ch128514][ch128514].

It will never be like Oran Park was, but it is still brilliant entertainment with lots of fantastic people still involved.
Cheers
Bretto

Sorry to pull you up RoadBossman but A class trucks (the fast ones) are only 5 1/2 tonne in total....with 3 tonne having to be over the front axle....

newto

More
8 years 9 months ago #32915 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Re: Old Race Trucks

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
8 years 9 months ago #32916 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Old Race Trucks
have a look at 9 ton with 1200hp on board trying to stop from 100mph (the limited speed) for a corner with 15 other lunatics also trying to do the same thing [ch128514][ch128514][ch128514].

Heck! You didn't have to pay good money to see that sort of thing at some raceway! Maybe the horsepower differed, but you could see that crap every night on the old Hume Highway anywhere between Syd and Albury!
And that was only to grab a parking space at the "Crazy House" or some similar 'pat-me-on-the-back-and-tell-me-how-good-I-am' greasy spoon!

Good old days? Legends? I'd query that. About the only legend going around was the B-model Mack,and that sure as hell wasn't on no circuit! It was out on the job!

Dave_64 with tongue in cheek.

More
8 years 9 months ago #32917 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Old Race Trucks
Yep, new to is right, the regulations now say minimum 5500kg. Knowing a few of the entrants, some quite well, I think there is still quite a number of trucks that are way over the minimum.
But thanks for the correction Newto.

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Time to create page: 0.551 seconds