Skip to main content

WheremEye

More
7 years 2 months ago #180431 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic WheremEye
Supremely fast, and its back to Swishy. I was trying to keep clear of Victoria.
The railway here has been closed: the container transfer is now at Brighton, further north. One plan has been to replace this bridge with a high-level road-only one.
Next time I'm ahead, I'll go for mean level. I'm also scanning a few more (as I find them) to have a better choice.
I'll try and pm Morris with the simple steps for mounting a photo on the group. He doesn't have to miss the joy.

Roderick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 2 months ago #180436 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic WheremEye
OK then

WheremEye

http://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/560http://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/560

cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 2 months ago #180438 by dno
Replied by dno on topic WheremEye
Barham koondrook bridge ?

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
7 years 2 months ago #180443 by Roderick Smith
Even if I hadn't had a break for dinner, I would have held off until morning. There are subtle differences over all of those bridges: the counterweights, the approach span trusses, the scenery on the far side. I agree that this one is looking from the Barham (NSW) bank to the Koondrook (Vic.) bank. During one lot of bridge maintenance, road traffic had to divert via Murrabit or via Echuca; local passengers were provided with a ferry service. In 2016, a temporary pontoon bridge was to be positioned, and vessels from downriver were advised not to voyage to Echuca for the celebrations for PS Adelaide's 150th anniversary, and didn't: the bridge had not yet been placed. As at Feb.17, it still wasn't in position, and it will close the river for 12 months.
< www.rms.nsw.gov.au/projects/south-wester...am-bridge/index.html >

Roderick

More
7 years 2 months ago #180466 by Roderick Smith
030924W Murray River at Koondrook/Barham: Randell & Cadell 150th-anniversary fleet voyage, QWPV Tamara Rae. (Roderick Smith)
This was a river rally on the scale of the famous 'Back to the track' truck & military-vehicle rally.
In 1853, the first commercial steam boats voyaged from Goolwa (SA) up the Murray. William Randell (in PS Mary Ann) and Frances Cadell (in PS Lady Augusta). Cadell reached Swan Hill first, but Randell got further (to the future site of Echuca).
This rally had a core fleet from Goolwa to Echuca, including replicas of the two originals. A variety of private boats made the whole distance; others joined the fleet for a part journey.
I followed in many places, and was aboard for the final two nights into Echuca.
Here the bridge at Koondrook/Barham has been raised for the fleet passage. Tamara Rae is a rare design: a quarterwheel paddleboat, with smaller wheels, set at the side, to the rear. It was based at Wemen (between Robinvale and Mildura), and was the largest and slowest boat into this reach. Reportedly it had a Cadillac engine, a real fuel guzzler. It also had rare facility: a carport on the main deck, with lifting gangplanks for access. For this major event, even the secondary school shut down and the teenagers assembled on the bridge. As the last boat passed, and the bridge was coming down, even they offered a spontaneous three cheers. These bridges are now raised & lowered hydraulically, with five council employees: one to run the pump (on a tuck); four to undo the retaining clamps, and control traffic. I have cruised my boat under this one, and have been present when it was raised for its centenary, and again for the passage of PS Adelaide (voyaging from Echuca to Mildura).

Roderick

More
7 years 2 months ago #180478 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic WheremEye
Thanks for taking the time to post all of these pics from your travels Roderick, clearly you get around a lot. B)

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
7 years 2 months ago #180540 by dno
No reply from the swish meister but I'm pretty sure it's nailed, so here's another
easy one.

More
7 years 2 months ago #180569 by Roderick Smith
I'm going for the notorious Dandenong Rd / Springvale Rd / Police Rd / Clayton Rd intersection (Mulgrave, Melbourne, Vic.), although I can't recall seeing a Coles there.
This view would be looking north-west, towards the city.

Roderick

More
7 years 2 months ago #180570 by dno

Roderick Smith wrote: I'm going for the notorious Dandenong Rd / Springvale Rd / Police Rd / Clayton Rd intersection (Mulgrave, Melbourne, Vic.), although I can't recall seeing a Coles there.
This view would be looking north-west, towards the city.

Roderick

Spot on.

More
7 years 2 months ago #180571 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic WheremEye
Here's one to keep the Mexicans on their toes...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.986 seconds