Skip to main content

1940 Chev - Looking for knowledge

More
7 years 5 months ago #176257 by Lang
Brocky

While bigger horsepower is always nice to have there is no reason to change the engine because of the oiling system - the splash feed works fine. Millions of those 216 engines were made over a 15 year period and they were as reliable (and probably more) than the flat 6 Dodges and certainly the side valve Ford V8's .

I think replacing a good running 216 with a 235/Blue Flame or whatever - if you were not after more power - would be pretty low on the list of to-do jobs if the truck was being kept fairly standard. If you wanted the power a 350 V8 would probably make the effort more worthwhile.

Just my opinion having driven high mileage 216 Chevs at high cruising revs for lots of km without problems.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176263 by Gadget1382
Is that something that can be added to the engine if it were pulled down? or would you need a different block?

More
7 years 5 months ago #176264 by Gadget1382
Yeah, if I couldn't efficiently keep the original block running, I'd be more inclined to drop a Carby V8 in it.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176266 by Gadget1382

Lang wrote: Here you go for likely original colours.
anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/othervehicles/aussiecamlw_1.htm
I have the 1940 GMH NASCO parts book . The front cover of the book states "SPECIALLY COMPILED FOR THE AUSTRALIAN COMMONWEALTH MILITARY FORCES" . The book is for sedans and trucks
The 1940 Chevrolet truck was series 13, 14, 15.
1940 Maple Leaf was series 16 - diff ratio was 7.16 to 1
1940 CHEVROLET
Basically, the model 14 had a 133" wheelbase
The model 15 was 158 1/2" wheelbase ( yours ? )
15-40 ES Chassis and cab with special 12 X 7 GS Wagon with canopy top - Standard truck chassis fitted single rear wheels 5.20 X 6 pierced disc wheels . rear axle ratio 6.166 to 1
15-40 E2 Chassis and cab with special 10ft. 6ins x 7ft GS Wagon with canopy top- Standard truck chassis Dual wheel with 7.20 X 6 pierced disc wheels rear axle ratio 6.166 to 1

Look under the screw head on your plate to see if it is 15=40 ES or E2

Effective with overseas 18 x 8 wheels , the wheel equipment for these units will be changed to 5.18 X 8 3/4 offset

1940 MAPLE LEAF
The Maple leaf model 16-40/E12 Chassis cab 157 3/4" wheelbase with special Office Lorry body
16-40/E8 - with special stores lorry body
16-40 /E6 - with special breakdown vehicle body

Firstly, colour: I don't actually know the original colour, it seems to have a cream undercoat in sections, but not over the lot. It had a brush paint of brown for some portion of it's life. Could have been ex-military, it doesn't look like it received the extra bracing that some of them did get. But will be able to see more once she's over from WA.

It didn't have the "maple leaf" label on the side, that doesn't mean it wasn't one. The wheel base was estimated at 156"... so could have been longer and mate up to either 158 1/2" or 157 3/4".

It has 20x7" Tyres on it now, which look the standard fitment, so it doesn't have 18" rims. It does have different bolt patterns from to rear. 5 bolts at the front, but can't remember the rear... I think it was 8 bolt, but could be 10.

As for the Plate ES or E2... I'm guessing that's the last item on the "MODEL:" line. I will have to see once she's here. That's the only pic I have of the plates currently.

Thanks again all :) I'm liking the history lesson / hunt.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176273 by Lang
You can't just modify easily a 216 motor to full pressure feed. As I said it is not necessary and I would be willing to bet a 216 would last just as long as a 235 with the oil system having no influence on it wearing out.

The pressure feed system was introduced:

a. Far fewer parts and less intricate construction (oil is already at pressure in the crank to oil the mains, just drill web galleries to the big ends - job done!) The 216 runs at 14psi new and 10psi or less after a bit of use. Once you start letting the oil out of extra holes drilled in the crank to oil the big ends you need bigger pumps and more pressure - around 30psi.

b. The bigger horsepower engines created greater forces on all bearing and friction faces, reducing the oil film thickness, requiring oil pressure to keep the film adequate.

One of the great myths about Chevrolet splash feed, perpetuated by people who should know better, is they will ruin the front big end bearing because on hills the oil goes to the back of the sump and it does not get splashed. This supposes the crankshaft smashes into the sump oil every turn - a situation that would shake the engine to bits. The individual sprayers under constant pump pressure point at each crank and squirt equal amounts of oil in a continuous stream. Every rod bearing gets exactly the same oil regardless of whether the engine is up, down or sideways.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget1382

More
7 years 5 months ago #176274 by defective
...great, practical info Lang .. keep it all coming mate B)

More
7 years 5 months ago #176276 by wombat 46
Thats a sweet looking truck,
looking forward to the story unfold!
Jim

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176285 by Lang
Just had an ID from a mate who is a serial number navel gazer.

Your truck is January 1940.

The DLX PTKN on the colour code is DULUX Peterkin Grey which was a Holden's colour for 1938 Vauxhalls. and 39/40 Chevrolet trucks.

He believes the trucks got a standard colour coming down the line and then were repainted after manufacturer to the Army requirement. This was Light Stone (creamy yellow) for trucks heading to the Middle East and Khaki for those staying in Australia.

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176288 by Gadget1382

Lang wrote: Just had an ID from a mate who is a serial number navel gazer.

Your truck is January 1940.
The DLX PTKN on the colour code is DULUX Peterkin Grey which was a Holden's colour for Vauxhalls. He believes the trucks got a standard colour coming down the line and then was repainted after manufacturer to the Army requirement. This was Light Stone (creamy yellow) for trucks heading to the Middle East and Khaki for those staying in Australia.
Lang

Amazing HUGE Thanks! I'm guessing it then resembled the image attached...

Now to choose if going the Grey or Cream!

I realised it was #037 off the line in Jan 1940 from some of the other numbers. Nice old bird! :D

Thanks again!

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by hayseed. Reason: insert Pic.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176290 by Lang
Here are some colours on bigger trucks like yours plus a Victorian light one.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget1382

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds