Skip to main content

1940 Chev - Looking for knowledge

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176291 by Gadget1382
I have a few pic's I've been collecting of both US Chev's and AU Holden/Chev's, I've already added those to the collection.

Thanks.

Now utilising my contacts to get a sample of each Peterkin Grey and the Army Light Stone to see what we might follow through with.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Gadget1382.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176309 by Beaver
If you plan on upgrading the engine, beware of changes that might compromise Historic registration if you go down that path.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget1382

More
7 years 5 months ago #176332 by Lang
The colour code for Peterkin Grey is 7550

Others that year:

Wirraway Blue
Coolangatta Cream
Oodnadatta Beige
Bundaberg Beige

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget1382

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176333 by Gadget1382

Lang wrote: The colour code for Peterkin Grey is 7550

Others that year:

Wirraway Blue
Coolangatta Cream
Oodnadatta Beige
Bundaberg Beige
Lang

You have some pretty savvy sources! I've been searching away for anything on Peterkin Grey and come up with nothing... I guess it's too old school.
Do you have any indication of what those colours looked like? I have seen the colour range on the internet that Chevrolet offered for each of the years.
chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/paint3548.htm
But that isn't relevant due to Holden painting the cab once here in Aus.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176365 by Gadget1382

Happy Day.

Spray Samples for Peterkin Grey is 7550 and Light Stone (Army) colour

Kinda cool to see what she would have been like.

:D
Attachments:

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176366 by Lang
Great find.

It would be nice to have the truck in its old colour, whether the civilian grey or the army yellow. Black guards always set them off but I think by 1939 Chevrolet were doing all over colour. Even a variation on the base colour (add more black) would look nice for the guards.

Lang

PS When you download the photos wait for it to download on the attachment box like you do now then click on INSERT and it will come up properly in your post instead of just an attachment we must click on to see.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176369 by Gadget1382

Lang wrote: Great find.
It would be nice to have the truck in its old colour, whether the civilian grey or the army yellow. Black guards always set them off but I think by 1939 Chevrolet were doing all over colour. Even a variation on the base colour (add more black) would look nice for the guards.
Lang

Not exactly a find... more calling in a favour ;) Yeah, it would be great to restore to either as it rolled out of the factory, or in its life as an Army transporter. Jury is still out on that. But I agree the two tone really sets them off.
Then there's the decision to go acrylic or 2 pack paint.

Lang wrote: PS When you download the photos wait for it to download on the attachment box like you do now then click on INSERT and it will come up properly in your post instead of just an attachment we must click on to see.

Will do.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176390 by Lang
Nothing to do with me but I reckon you should go acrylic. Old trucks with a beautiful heated paint booth two pack job look over restored to me. Might be OK if you are doing a $100,000 resto job on a rare 70/80 period Kenworth but to my mind just does not look right on old trucks.

Its your truck so if you want the kids to brush on the old tin of house paint in the shed its your choice - at least the truck will be saved.

Lang

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #181722 by Gadget1382
Well, it's been a long time coming... or not... but just had confirmation that she'll be over 2nd week in May! :D

Currently rolling on tyres and tubes from 2017.

Space has been made in the the garage, will definitely need to give her a good clean.

Should turn up to the next meeting to quiz you experts!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds