Skip to main content

Teaching model

More
4 years 6 months ago #203711 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Teaching model

cobbadog wrote: Where abouts is the bus museum in Shitme?

Leichardt, Open third Sunday of every month. here's a link.....

www.sydneybusmuseum.info/

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #203904 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Teaching model
Some pics of the steering and rear axle of the model

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, roKWiz

More
4 years 6 months ago #203908 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Teaching model
Those models are absolutely amazing! No doubt each part had to be designed, drafted up and made! I doubt that any of the braking, steering, or gear etc. components could be bought "off the shelf"

Last night I watched an episode of Pawn Stars, where a seller bought in a salesman's? working model of a Hit and Miss engine. He started it with a battery powered motor but it ran beautifully on petrol and was in as new condition.

A mate of mine inherited his Grandfather's well drilling business and has the salesman's model of a drilling rig that he was given for his 8th or 10th birthday. He told me he drilled down to 60 feet with it.

I have a leather briefcase containing salesman's samples and technical data of an anti-corrosion treatment for boilers, that my Wife's Uncle invented in the very early 20th Century. I want to display it but will have to keep a close eye on it as the samples are labelled "Take a free sample" and there are only a few left.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, roKWiz

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 6 months ago #203913 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Teaching model
gr8 info grandad

Me thinx Grandad cood all teach us a thing or 2

me sthil dunno why a 2 stroke motor hazn't got twice the power of a 4 stroker
as it fires on each down stroke

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #203917 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Teaching model
This is for simple small engines. Larger and modern sophisticated 2 strokes have separate oil system for both crank and cylinder lubrication.

Pros of a 2-Stroke Engine:

No valves, simpler construction
Fire once per revolution which means that I has a higher power output than a 4-stroke engine
It is lighter, thus making it cheaper to manufacture
They have potential for twice the power than a 4 stroke engine of the same size
Less maintenance

Cons of a 2-Stroke Engine:

Don’t live as long as a 4-stroke engine because of not having a specified lubrication system
Having to mix fuel and oil to lubricate engine, can get expensive
They are not fuel efficient engines
They produce more pollution
They are very smoky engines
The air/fuel mix leaks out through the exhaust port

Pros of a 4-stroke engine:

More torque, the engine is quieter and more reliable
Last longer than a 2 stroke engine
You don’t have to mix the oil and fuel
Runs cleaner than a 2 stroke, less pollution
Much more fuel efficient

Cons of a 4-stroke engine:

More complicated design
Valves, complex design, harder to repair/troubleshoot
Half as powerful as a 2-stroke engine of the same size
4-stroke fires 1 time per 2 revolutions
2-stroke fires every revolution
More expensive than a 2-stroke engine
More parts, more expensive to manufacture, more expensive to repair
Because of the more complex design, these engines are much heavier
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 6 months ago #203930 by grandad
The engine that this fits turns out 109,000hp and it's a two-stroke
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #203940 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Teaching model
Wow thats a fare size hair dryer there

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 6 months ago #203961 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Teaching model
I much prefer a 2 stroke engine on my mowers. The only time they blow smoke is when the engine is cold. Once slightly warm it stops. It will blow smoke if you over mix your oil ratio but I once put 25:1 fuel in a 50:1 engine and again once warmed no more smoke.
Recently I resurected a Rover mower with a Suzuki 2 stroke on it. Belonged to my Dad and once I found the reason for it playing up I find myself wanting to only use this one. It is very quiet and I run it at around 1/4 throttle and uses half the fuel of my old Victa Model 1 mower. I have not used a grass catcher when mowing for over 40 years so mowing now is cheap. I do have a Big Bob mower with a 4.5hp B&S engine. I did like to use this one as the large diamter wheels and wider 22" cut did the job well but these 4 strokes do take some maintenance.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204123 by grandad
Here's a bit of info about the model, it's a translation so bear with me......
Developments....
An essential part of teaching at the former chauffeur schools related to the assessment of the technology of the vehicle. It was believed that anyone who had gained insight into the operation of power transmission and steering could learn to handle it gently. As a driving pupil, therefore, it was not unusual to find oneself lying under the car in technical lessons. The problem of this kind of knowledge transfer (it was uncomfortable and in the true sense not always completely clean) recognized Werner Degener, since 1934 owner of a driving school Lehrmittel publishing house, which was aimed at Kraftfahrausbildung and traffic education. On the occasion of a small exhibition, Degener became aware of Emil Höhm, who had become self-employed with an Opel car dealership in Letmathe / Iserlohn. Together they soon developed a model demonstrating the technical features of the motor car.
They benefited from Höhm's experience gained years earlier in Friedrichshafen in airship construction. His first models were aircraft engines, including for the Focke helicopter. Since Höhm as a dealer had technical documentation from Opel, the Opel Admiral, built at that time, served as a model for a chassis model. But the money was scarce and many a driving instructor still tried by self-made teaching materials to avoid costly expenses.

For example, a Mannheim driving instructor even equipped an original chassis with a remote control that could be used to transfer all the functions performed from the right cockpit to a small model car. For such a chassis of Höhm one would have to create in 1954 about 600 DM, about twice the average monthly earnings. In 1959 it was already 910 DM, which increased to 1991 to more than 4,000 DM.

More than 7,000 of these masterpieces were sold by the company Degener (of which about 1000 before the war). While only three to six employees were initially involved in the production of the models, around 35 employees later worked on it. Even in apprenticeship occupations of the automotive trade one liked to use the functional models.

The official presentation of the first prototypes took place in 1939 at the IAA in Berlin. They were well received and with only six employees began production.

The then government quickly recognized the importance of these models for the technical training of drivers who served the army. For this reason, Höhm was commissioned with the manufacture and delivery of the chassis models to the Wehrmacht in 1939, following the outbreak of the war.

Soon after the war, the citizens' hope grew for a car of their own, with new driving schools emerging everywhere. In addition to various teaching materials, the functional models soon belonged to the basic technical equipment.
The teaching model "chassis", which is mounted on a wooden console, was retained in its basics for decades, but was repeatedly made some improvements and especially technical modernization measures.Such changed the front mask, there was the glass engine, and the front Rigid axle with leaf springs had to give way to a single wheel suspension with coil springs.

It clearly shows that the Opel Admiral or after the war the Opel Kapitän must have been the godfather of the early Höhm teaching model. Clearly the radiator grille with the Zeppelin radiator figure, bumpers and even the 6-cylinder engine are modeled on the big Opel. The lighting system was built by Höhm himself using parts of the company "JOSEPH MÜLLER - NÜRNBERG", which produced bicycle lamps. As with the right car, the stance, dipped and main beam can be switched. The technical parts of the drive can be set in motion manually by means of a "starter crank" or by an electric motor (at an extra charge) .The cut-open bell makes it possible to catch a glimpse of the pedal operated clutch.
Even the visible gear can be switched and gives the force to the cardan shaft, which in turn is flanged to the cut-open differential. Of course, the drum brakes, brake pedal and cables are functional including the handbrake, which is like the VW Beetle about a button to unlock again. The starter applies pressure to the flywheel. The operation of the steering can be considered when operating on the basis of an open steering gear. Even thought of a pull-out dipstick. Another loving detail: the claw-shaped exhaust system. The hood of the "captain" was still made of solid cast aluminum, the front of the later model is made of polyester and adapted to modern times with integrated headlamps with fine chrome ring.The radiator grille is now more like a Peugeot 403 than an Opel The center of the radiator grille the Höhm coat of arms adorns this indicated pontoon body.

Plastic is the new material of the 50s and is also used in the functional models. In the glass engine - the size of only a four-cylinder engine - you can see rocker arms, valves, piston rings and crankshaft. If all this is set in motion by the (hidden) electric motor by means of (wedge) belts, red lights in the engine even indicate the respective igniting candle. Particularly interesting and rare to find are those models, (models of the company VVR) which were not built for civilian purposes (VVR160), but they have headlights and switchable four-wheel drive on basis was the civilian model (VVR 140), which was extended only to the mentioned parts including a NATO light switch.The front mask in red paint remained untouched.
In order for the wheels of the teaching chassis to rotate freely, it stands on supports that are bolted to a wooden platform. Depending on the type and design, the mechanical functions can be set in motion by means of a crank, or this work is left to the electric drive, which was once available for a surcharge.
From the movement of the pistons in the engine and the power transmission via the clutch to the cardan shaft, the learner can track every single function up to the sprung rear axle.

Since all units are cut open, they allow insights into the inside, even with the brake drum. In this way, the technology of the automobile can be clearly understood in the simplest possible way - and that is to be taken literally, because the student can lend a hand himself.

A couple more pics.....
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, Lang, PaulFH, roKWiz

More
4 years 5 months ago #204493 by grandad
Here's some pics of a later teaching model, they were updated at times to keep up with developments of the car. This one has coil springs, plus a bit more modern front styling.
The see-through engine appeared around 1948, and the independent front suspension in the fifties.
This one has an electric motor to slowly turn the engine to enable all the moving parts to be viewed.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, cobbadog, wouldyou, Morris, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, V8Ian, Dodgeydude

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds