Skip to main content

Tanker accident Mona Vale

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127707 by atkipete
Just reading up on this dreadful accident in Sydney that has claimed two lives. www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-02/mechanica...er-explosion/4994502
It is early days but investigators are looking at mechanical ( presumably brake) failure.
This has got me thinking, is it possible to lose the brakes altogether on a modern semi ? Was under the impression that, in a worse case situation, putting it in "emergency" would apply the trailer maxis and stop you. ?
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by atkipete.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127708 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tanker accident Mona Vale
AFAIK, the ''emergency'' part of the braking system on a full air set-up is for the release of the maxi brakes, to enable the vehicle to be moved when the ''normal'' air component has been exhausted causing the maxi's to apply...this can be a situation whereby a truck has broken down for a period of time and needs to be shifted...

...a ''worse case'' scenario has a semi trailer under long, sustained braking with all the brakes not fully adjusted, or not adjusted correctly..... heat builds up in the drums causing them to grow or expand, making the contact area even less effective.....that is where a runaway situation can occur if gearing down, engine braking and other preventative actions haven't been implemented prior to the descent

More
10 years 7 months ago #127709 by Cunning Stunt
Early days to be making any type of judgement. I know the road very well. Truck was most likely an autoshift so jumping out of gear is unlikely but even if the driver missed a gear, if the brakes were not hot he would've been able to stop it. I hope for his sake that its mechanical failure but I'm waiting for the verdict, I have my theory's...........

Terribly sad regardless :'( :'( :'(

Some play hard to get

More
10 years 7 months ago #127710 by Roderick Smith
There has been a lengthy thread elsewhere that modern trucks must have spring brakes, with the air keeping them off. Any air failure results in brake application.
Any loss of air through misapplication, or air failure, should not be catastrophic.
That now hints at spring failure, or severe brake fade: it doesn't matter what the application is, the brakes will do nothing. Would these be drum brakes or disc brakes in the modern era?

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127711 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tanker accident Mona Vale
....it's interesting how two different approaches to heavy vehicle braking can have altogether different consequences.... with train wheels the brake fade situation could never occur, as the wheels will only ''grow'' with heat, and put more pressure on the external brake linings....

More
10 years 7 months ago #127712 by atkipete
Well I think the spring brakes would work, unless the brakes were really worn or red hot from overuse. There are ten maxi brakes on a 6 axle semi so one or two broken springs should not be catastrophic,
RMS has come down hard on Cootes since www.smh.com.au/nsw/fireball-crash-truck-...-20131003-2uv44.html

More
10 years 7 months ago #127713 by greenie
While watching the news tonight, the TV camera footage showed a Volvo going in a gate to the Cootes depot in Sydney.

Now this Volvo had the name of Cootes on the drivers door, along with another name under that, the extra name on the door was McAleese, so, did a bit of research and came up with this lot.

blogs.wsj.com/dealjournalaustralia/2012/...-mcaleese-transport/

Looks like the extremely high standards of drivers and vehicles of Cootes vehicles, has taken the slippery slope downwards, after the acquisition by McAleese.

Cootes had the best name all over Australia for safety, when it was run by Ian Cootes, so maybe there might be something about the vehicle being unroadworthy.
From what was mentioned on the news, the MRD checked one truck and trailer, the prime mover had NO brakes actually working at all, and only one was operational on the trailer.

Now this might come as a surprise to those that said the driver should not touch the brakes by adjusting them, well, look real hard at yourselves now, as this is the outcome when "fools" start to preach the wrong word.

Two persons are now dead, when the driver could have easily slid under and done the deed, what says you lot now, that were saying "no touchy" ?

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

ps---this will be a very contentious point, but I hope the moderators don't slam this lot and just leave it up.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127714 by werkhorse
It may not be the spring brakes at all .... It looks like a Sterling and being the next generation of Ford they have a tredle valve that is bolted together through the firewall with a few o rings. Maybe ... Just maybe .... It may have been a lack of air to the foot brake side of the boosters and he didn't have time to hit the park brake. It would have happened very quick and he was probably standing on the pedal with no results.
Another possible is one of the many airline from the tredle valve ... Or any other along the system ... To the relay valves may have had a leak or been rubbed right through.

Just to clarify my thoughts ... I did my Diesel apprenticeship on Ford's ranging from the 70's right through to the Sterlings at a Ford/Sterling agency.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by werkhorse.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127715 by Bobsboy
Awh,
Here we go again.
Brakes.

On and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and on about brakes.
STOP

Start a separate topic.

This is Re: Tanker accident Mona Vale.

-b
>:( :-[ :-X

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127716 by binder
I like cunning no this piece of road very well. there has been several fatals here over the years!!!!
and I have my own theory also?

I do know the head of maintenance for this company in nsw and there is no expense spared or short cuts in
repairs and all well documented!!!
the news today stated they had inspected several trucks in the fleet and issued several defects
but as we all no you could take a brand new kw over the pits and end up with a defect notice
I no of at least one bloke that got pinged at marulan on the maiden voyage in his brand new gadjet

werk those sterling foot vales are a bunch of fun!!!!
ill start sendin em down to Tassie!!!

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds