Skip to main content

Tanker accident Mona Vale

More
10 years 7 months ago #127777 by atkipete
That certainly does Chocs, I am a bit wiser now than when I started this topic.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127778 by jimbo51
Separate topic started for Braking Systems in Restoration Chat....

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1381485103

More
10 years 7 months ago #127779 by Mrsmackpaul

At the end of the day the coroner will have the answer of the accident.
Living and working on Mt Ousley in 37 years I have seen it all. I was working on the day the truck ran away and killed the five people on the mountain, and what came out of that was the start of the 40 kmh speed limit and the annual inspections. The owner and the driver went to jail for that.

You only need a few things to compound then you have a not good situation.
Ever wondered why brake boosters are still around $80 bucks?. I was talking to a rep a while ago about crap boosters he said simply competition from over seas keeps the made to a price these days. I was telling him that a booster was only 2 years old and failed on a rego check with a broken spring, when the spring brakes should last for years longer.. How dose the average bloke check for a broken spring in a spring brake?
Mostly when the spring brakes inside it still works but not 100%. Like I said it only takes a few things to go wrong on the day and we all know the results....

old dog I reckon your onto what ever has gone on most times when something really goes wrong its not just one thing that has caused the problem like watching the aeroplane crash shows most times its a whole heap of small things in a certian order that cause the plane to bugger up seeya
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 7 months ago #127780 by atkipete
Another development mentioned in the media www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-08/fuel-supp...safety-audit/5010048 where Cootes are pulling out of the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme is interesting. Clearly Cootes need to retain accreditation but I thought the National scheme was to replace the various State ones. ?

10 years 7 months ago #127781 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tanker accident Mona Vale
Clearly Coots are pulling out of the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme maintenance management because they got caught out with the amount of defects on their fleet. It's going to bong right down the line

did the drivers report the faults?
Did the company repair the faults?
Who signed off on the vehicles?

It's a messy situation no doubt.

We have RMS annual inpections and have had for years no big deal. I get dragged into a checking station now and then and the shaker at some inspection bays it makes you keep your gear in good nic. Shure they pick on some really stupid stuff sometimes but that's the way it works. I notice a awfull lot of vic rego trucks grounded at Marulan after a go on the shaker. FACT

If vic dose not have annual inpections by a dedicated gov body they should have. We have and it seems to work. That's the way I see it.........

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127782 by Bobsboy
In regards to the regulatory systems within our society that are supposed to be self regulatory, with no 'outside' audits or inspections, . . . (also edited just a tad)

That really pushes my personal political POV button.

While NOT being a supporter of the nanny state mentality that decrees and proscribes when and where we can pass wind or what where and when we can pursue our own interests. . .

"self-regulation" seems, time and again to be a complete failure without accountability and review by subjective outside authorities.

And here's where I go off topic (gasp).

Corrupt Capitalism.
We (modern society) have been sucked into the rampant, laze fare, anything goes, unregulated, free market capitalist economy way of thinking.
Everything for the "economy".

We (the people) have been tricked into thinking we have a real stake in "The Economy". Superanuation and real estate investment being but two examples.

The economist and funds managers (for example) take their fees and charges during the good times and when the market fails, its all whoops and sorry and promises of future recovery. Meanwhile, (our?) government sticks its hand into our pocket and gives them bucket loads of cash to bail them out on the grounds that they are to big to fail and that it is in the best long term interest of the economy! There is that word again, "economy", oh yah we collectively think, that's important. I too have a stake in the "economy" we mistakenly imagine.

So, trucks (for example) what crash and burn, that have been designed and then built built useing bits obtained through the competitive tendering process and sourced globally with the cheapest possible labour and materials cost. . .
And then operated under self regulateing industry standards. . .

Anyway, you can see where I'm heading.

It's a failure of Government to protect us from our own excesses, but all we have is a Government that has been systematically perverted into supporting the aims and goals of corrupt, out of control Capitalist puppet masters.

Why do we give money to General Motors Holden? Why do we allow non-Australian companys to own our grain distribution? Why do Australian farmers find it attractive to sell their land to overseas consortiums and investment houses? Why can't Australia manufacture it's own machine tools to construct superiour Australian products for rest of the world to use and benefit from?

Because it CHEAPER to import.
'Down Down Prices are down". F the dairy farmers. Cheap cheap cheap. Consume consume consume.

Global corporate profits are up up up,
and corporate managers and major share holders are socking away billions into their own pockets.

Wake up Australia, make no mistake about it, your being sold a pup.

Whew, sorry Forum Administrators for makeing you extra work in taking this post down. I fully understand. It's well off topic from many angles, especially a truck forum about a crashed truck in Mona Vale.
But, i got my little moment in the sun, even if only for a few minutes before you sprung me.

"Keep the Red Flag flying."
lol

:( :'( :-X
-b

(and now, just for the moment, a tiny bit >:( )

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127783 by werkhorse
Bobsboy for PM .... ;D ;D ;D ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
10 years 7 months ago #127784 by Mrsmackpaul
well bobs boy I take it all back you can write SO MUCH MORE good onya mate keeping the dream alive [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]seeya
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127785 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Tanker accident Mona Vale
I reckon we need two new subject folders on this forum ... 'The Soapbox', and 'The Sin Bin'! ;D ;D ;D

Edited just a tad

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Bugly.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127786 by grumpy
BOBSBOY for PM ????
Nah, still stick with Chocs for PM but Bobsboy can be his deputy.

I have been following the Mona Vale Accident topic here with great interest.
I wonder if the outcome will be safer and stricter regulations for all vehicles carrying dangerous goods or will it just be a knee-jerk reaction by the State Authorities.

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds