Skip to main content

Tanker accident Mona Vale

10 years 7 months ago #127757 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tanker accident Mona Vale
...way back in the day with the Peterbilts and Kenworths the emergency spring brake release could only be effected by holding the button in...thereby releasing the maxi's so as to move the disabled vehicle, but it basically meant a two man set-up....one bloke to hold the button in and steer it, and the other to tow the jigger out of the way...

...in 1962-63 there wasn't the requirement for this set-up, but by 1965 the third air tank was mandated by registration authorities in America....and we basically followed their rules from there.....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127758 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Tanker accident Mona Vale
All the makings for a new thread on braking systems..

chocs 8-)

10 years 7 months ago #127759 by
...i think we're OK chocs and still on topic, as the thread opened up asking this very question, although the heading is a bit misplaced....cheers :) :)

More
10 years 7 months ago #127760 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Tanker accident Mona Vale
Exactly... ;)

chocs 8-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #127761 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Swishy.

10 years 7 months ago #127762 by
This thread indicates very strongly....
If you are not knowledgeable about brakes.... Don't Touch !

Its all matter of Stop and Go....?
If it 'Goes' thats fine.... but if it does not STOP !!

Lives and loads depend on Brakes !

Just a reminder....
The accident at Mona Vale is the subject of the thread.

Cheers
RS :)

10 years 7 months ago #127763 by
....the Mona Vale accident is why we should be discussing brakes no matter where the issue pops up....atkipete can decide if he's happy with this topic, as it was he who asked the question... 8-) 8-) 8-)

More
10 years 7 months ago #127764 by atkipete
Go for it, my initial question was " is it possible to lose the brakes altogether on a modern semi ? Was under the impression that, in a worse case situation, putting it in "emergency" would apply the trailer maxis and stop you. ?"
Regarding air tanks, I have mostly driven Japanese and euro trucks but was under the impression that the wet tank filled first, then your two seperate brake tanks ( with gauges ) and then the auxiliary tank which operates range change, air clutch and other stuff. Have had a few incidents where I have run out of air on the auxiliary circuit and got into strife. :-[ :-[

More
10 years 7 months ago #127765 by greenie
Hey Swishy, that manual sure has some vital information within it, thanks for sticking it up.

For those that haven't bothered to read it, better go to page 53 in the manual then.
Seems that the yanks are far more advanced in thinking, than most of the modern, soft, sooky steering wheel attendants and OH&S driven lot we got over here.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

yeh, I know, I'll get me coat and wont let the door hit me on the way out.

More
10 years 7 months ago #127766 by werkhorse
Well as I see it atkipete your way of thinking is correct as lack of air to the park brake means that the spring takes over and applies the brakes. But if lack of air to the foot brake side of the booster occurs then nothing happens as this side of the booster doesn't have a spring to apply them and only uses air to push the rod and apply the brakes. Now there could be many reasons for no air to the foot brake side of the boosters including a burst hose, malfunctioning relay valve, malfunctioning treadle valve .... Even something like excess dirt/crap/crude under the pedal to stop you applying them properly.

Now if your bombing down the road and some Bugga jumps out in front you jump on the skids ..... Sh#t I'm not slowing down .... Jump harder on them .... Sh#t ....still nothing ....

What happens next ??? Do you hit the horn? Reach for the park/emergency brake button?

Hell no ... I reckon I would be too busy trying to avoid the stupid bastard in front

Nek minit ..... Bang .... It's all over.

As we all know these things happen really quick so IF this is what has happened in this accident then no amount of adjusting the brakes will help. If there's no air they ain't Gunna slow ya down.

Just my thoughts and may possibly have no relation to the accident but I hope it helps you guys to understand just how truck air brakes work.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds