Skip to main content

International Farmall AMD

More
6 years 8 months ago #186571 by 180wannabe
If it's of any interest, the 554 operators manual says,

"Fuel pump is pre-lubricated at the factory and will need attention only when dismantled. It must then be filled with engine oil (SAE-20) to the level of the overflow.
The fuel pump governor oil level must be checked every 60 hours and filled up to the level of the drain plug." (but the accompanying picture calls it a level plug, and shows the plug on the back end of the pump, that faces the glass fuel bowl)

Brett.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186574 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic International Farmall AMD
Ah, good! I was wondering how to do that since the dipstick hole is not drilled. The governor weights pick up oil, but it's low.

Thanks.

Next, besides general assembly is to get water in it so I can run it for long periods. Bets on the water pump leaking ? :lol:

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 8 months ago #186576 by 180wannabe
I noticed a while ago that Waggatractor have water pumps for sale on ebay. Just had a quick check then and see they also list "seal gland packing" for these pumps. Hopefully you won't need either! If you end up working on the water pump, it is really worth spending some time cleaning the pulley thread so that it can be turned easily by hand. It makes belt replacements later on so much easier (actually possible). I'd even suggest replacing the locking bolt with something new and easy to get at like an allen head grub screw, all with plenty of never-seize.
The following user(s) said Thank You: melonreo

More
6 years 8 months ago #186588 by asw120
Yes, that is seized. Advice duly noted.

Thanks, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 8 months ago #186594 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic International Farmall AMD
Yep,the knob on top of the housing is for extra fuel,but the throttle controll has to be hard open so the rack can move the extra dist.Old fuel wont hurt,but dont leave the engine sitting for a long time or the plungers will freeze up again.My best advice is if you have an old diesel engine you want to lay up for years,(average project time),run the motor on clean,new hydraulic oil for five minutes.Saves a day of f/ing around getting plungers and rack free.Or like some characters I know,lost bits of the pump from an excavator,and had to get a $4000 rebuild.The pump should also have thick oil in the cam chamber.CAV said diesel was good for lube,but Leyland Buses said ,no,put thick oil in cambox once every six months.It gets diluted by diesel,and runs out the overflow.PS If you want to visit,just phone before you come,to avoid ....... Incidentally Farmer Shaun dropped in the other day,was unimpressed with the junk,as far as I could tell.

More
6 years 7 months ago #186686 by asw120
I managed to get water in it, sort of.
Then the beer gave me a silly idea. Next door came out to see what the noise was and snapped this.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #186773 by asw120
I now have it running on 4 cylinders. Quite warm today, fired up without glow, or tickle.

Now, the seat isn't real comfortable due to not being there.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Didn't think so. :silly: :silly: :silly:

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #186776 by asw120
It is done.

With musical accompaniment...

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by asw120. Reason: Drunk...

More
6 years 7 months ago #186778 by asw120
I tried the 3 point linkage.

It appears I need a new hose.
I may also have them connected backwards. Idiot here didn't mark them.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wouldyou

More
6 years 7 months ago #186812 by Southbound
Music quiz answer is Slade B)
Thanks for the great story Jarrod, lots of pics too!

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

Time to create page: 0.612 seconds