Skip to main content

International Farmall AMD

More
7 years 5 months ago #175936 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic International Farmall AMD
Luckily, all the internals seem to be free. The air hasn't got to them. Even though they had more water in them than diesel, no rust.
The nozzles, however, are a different story. They are all rusted into the holders and two of them have the needles rusted in. I thought I would blunt the tips of the needles trying to drive them out. I guess I'll have to remove the nozzles to clean them, anyway.

An upside - I now know what a pre combustion chamber looks like! (one is full of leaves???!)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175937 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic International Farmall AMD
Personally, I don't know anything about injectors but a friend who is a Mercedes Benz Diesel mechanic told me that when a little bit of compression starts to blow by the injector, a buildup of black tar-like stuff will glue the injector in. This is probably the dried out diesel remains that Mrsmackpaul mentioned. My friend says he alternately heats up the injector and then tries to move it with whatever he can grip it with. He says you have to heat it many times until the goo melts enough to let you get the injector loose.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
7 years 5 months ago #175938 by asw120
Hi Morris. I wish it was that. In this case, it's rust from underneath. All four pots were full of water. However, I will get it going!

Thanks, Jarrod.

PS: I know nothing about injectors, either! This is the first diesel I've pulled apart.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago #175939 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic International Farmall AMD
The best way to remove a stuck injector is in a press. Flogging them with a hammer and punch or leaning on them with a big pair of stilsons, more often than not, costs you more than the $30 nozzle that your going to replace anyway.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175969 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic International Farmall AMD
Good luck asw...you are a better man than me. i gave up on the inter 564, just left the injectors undone (Was still going) and hoped they would get blown out. Never did. Sold now. Hope to hear some good news from you after your holiday.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
7 years 5 months ago #175971 by asw120
You knew this was coming.....I learn by making mistakes. Two days in the freezer is not enough! I'm in the process of making a sleeve puller. I hope 1/2" Booker rod is strong enough, otherwise I have some old Acrow prop stands I can cut up..........

I hope to find some dry ice tomorrow, locally. I'm also going to ring a supplier of liquid nitrogen.

Wish me luck, Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago #175973 by Mrsmackpaul
did you have a doohicky built to pull it in ready and waiting just encase ????

depending on how far in the sleeve is you may be able to just wrap a chain around the block and stick a biggish bottle jack on top under the chain and on to of the sleeve and press it in the rest of the way, do I sound like a rough farmer LOL

Do not ask how I know these things but life throws us lessons every now and then LOL

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 5 months ago #175974 by asw120
Hey Paul;

1. of couse not! :silly:

2. That's a great idea. Half the problem is the steering shaft is in the way. It's an epic job to remove, as the two halves of the uni joint are rusted onto the shaft. Hopefully the shaft will come out of the box end. (the grille is still on at this point)

More food for thought.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #175988 by asw120
Last night I got thinking (I know I shouldn't do that).. It occurred to me that I have some Booker rod for undoing the front suspension on Studebakers. This comes with long nuts, really big washers and a thrust bearing from Dodge 200 kingpins.
I cut and turned up a piece of approximately 4mm flat steel, which already had a hole in the middle, into just under 4 1/2" diameter to pull the stuck sleeve out. Then I thought I could just as easily use it to pull the sleeve in.
Behold: Jed's patented sleeve un-F-U- erer / puller-in-erer!

Sent from my 'phone.....let's see how this goes. ...

Jarrod

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by bparo.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 5 months ago #175989 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic International Farmall AMD
ByTheJeezuz ........... U aint jist a pritty face

LOL

WellDun

we all like 2 C a problems outcum

nipt in the bud
orll ovr but the shout n