Skip to main content

Hot Rod or HCV?

More
10 years 9 months ago #121191 by Wilweld
Hot Rod or HCV? was created by Wilweld
Ok, here's one to stir up a bit of debate- at what point does a historic or classic vehicle become a hot rod?

Paint?
Engine swap?
Modern upgrades to running gear?

There is a wide range of restorations and build ups going on, from full nut-and-bolt period restorations to putting truck cabs on one tonner chassis with blown v8's, although most of us I would imagine just want our vehicles to be as original as possible but safe and able to handle modern driving conditions.

But with lots of parts becoming increasingly rare, and retrofitting modern parts looking like a easier or better alternative, at what point does the term "hod rod" apply?

Your thoughts please Ladies and Gents.

Grant.

'79 F100- 302c 4spd&&'81 F350- Isuzu 6BB1&&Chamberlain Industrial MK11  (6G)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121192 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Gday Grant.
Go up to the search button . (3rd from left)
Type in hot rod..select all posts and hit search.

Plenty of debate in there if you have a few spare hours.

chocs 8-)

More
10 years 9 months ago #121193 by toe truk Billy
Replied by toe truk Billy on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Doesn't the classification of a vehicle as a "Hot Rod" only come from the amount defect tickets you get?

More
10 years 9 months ago #121194 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Mate that's a very good question and one wich will have a lot of different points of view some purists would say that v8 inters truck isn't original others will say it is some will say to much Crome say will say its ok and I'm not picking on your truck v8 I reckon it's good and you have done a great job just using it as an example .then there is some people doing smaller ute types with different type engine diff gearbox types but then some say leave it original but for some reason if its a bigger truck it all seems to be ok to change diffs motors gearboxes me I just like seeing people with a smile. On there dile living the dream and must of trucks are properly hot rods any way just my thoughts
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121195 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Oh-h-h
You'll get some reaction with this one.

I'm a "planning to build one day" "all talk no action" looking for ideas, participant on this forum.

In my 12 - 18 months of observation, the range of vehicles restored, modified or preserved have included everything from rusty ute's to resently retired prime movers.

From clean 'em up and get 'em running bangers to the re-fabrication of major structural sub componants and museum quality restos.

It seems a broad and tollerant church, but
on the subject of hotrod vs HCV, it gets a bit firey when the wheels, tyres and stance of the vehicle change to much away from period correct or original.

You won't see many Centerline mags on display or talk of "tubbing" here.

Paint is usually conservative or period correct (candy or House of Color, uh, not so much.) ;)

Powerhouse donks? Keep it hidden.

Hot sleepers would probably slip in under the radar,
but by then you might want to to question what class of "motoring enthusiast" you really are.

My broad general opinion of the HCVC site?
Keep it simple, keep it straight and make it look like it can or has earned its way in life as a "proper working truck".

Hows that guys?
Pretty close?

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121196 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Not much is original Grant.

It is only a couple of forum members that kick up a stink when they see hot rods, the greater majority of us enjoy having a look.

The moderators are cool with someone putting up pictures of there project if it is truck related, hot rod or not.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121197 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Like one of these?

(Hey, Photobucket's working pretty good today)

::)

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121198 by Wilweld
Replied by Wilweld on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?

My broad general opinion of the HCVC site?
Keep it simple, keep it straight and make it look like it can or has earned its way in life as a "proper working truck".

Hows that guys?
Pretty close?

-b

Bobsboy, I think you nailed it. One thing I like about this forum is asking a question, and after getting some answers you realise exactly what the question you wanted to ask was ;D

The thing that got me thinking along this line was the thread on alternate engines for the Cummins 160.

I don't want to point fingers or question anyones taste, because while something might not be exactly the way I would have done it, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the time and effort put in to achieve the end result.

But because the very nature of historic vehicles means that as the parts we require become older they become rarer, and I was trying to gauge the opinions on leaving the truck in the shed waiting for that elusive part versus "hot rodding" it with a few modern bits to make it easier to finish, drive and maintain.

Would putting a modern engine- driveline combo in an old truck merely because the originals are no longer viable lessen everyones appreciation of the final product?

Grant.

'79 F100- 302c 4spd&&'81 F350- Isuzu 6BB1&&Chamberlain Industrial MK11  (6G)

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121199 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
I don't mind people doing what they want with their trucks, but I do get upset (and rather concerned for the movement) when I see trucks like that Chev on "Historic" plates.

Maybe the rules are different in Victoria, but that would be a no-no in NSW. But then again I am aware of some very non-original trucks here registered the same way, so some clubs are not complying with the rules.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Beaver.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121200 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?

But because the very nature of historic vehicles means that as the parts we require become older they become rarer, and I was trying to gauge the opinions on leaving the truck in the shed waiting for that elusive part versus "hot rodding" it with a few modern bits to make it easier to finish, drive and maintain

Its a pity that so many are left in the shed.
Where not many people will ever get to see them..

Looking back at the very history of many, many commercial vehicles, it is very often found that ol mate has modified the vehicle in some way shape or form, to keep the thing working in order to make a living.
Many times the modifications were made through necessity, other times made through choice.

The 'restorations' are many and varied, but they are being carried out to the owners 'requirements' at the time.

The reality of it is, no matter what the 'finished' article is, it carries that particular vehicle into the start of a new, usable life..
More often than not, their destiny would have been scrap metal, had ol mate not come along with a vision and a bag of loot.

Would putting a modern engine- driveline combo in an old truck merely because the originals are no longer viable lessen everyones appreciation of the final product?

I shouldn't think so Grant, with out a motor and box of any description in it, perhaps not many would get to see it, to appreciate it..

chocs 8-)

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds