Skip to main content

Hot Rod or HCV?

More
10 years 9 months ago #121211 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
This topic comes up time and time again on forums everywhere and is a bit stale. All it does is stir everyone up. Firstly, the question was not about rego and historic rego - it was about our opinion on whats deemed as modified and what's not.

I think that if its highly modified with a late model motor and on a late model chassis, thats modified. Other than that, it aint :)

The thing that gets up everyones nose on here is when someone shows a cherry bodied one owner rare as rocking horse poo straight as a die barn find (is that everything?) and offers the chassis and running gear to us for a price. Thats what tends to stir the pot.

But as has been stated, near every truck thats been done up has been modified to a point at some stage in its life. Its been pointed out to me plenty of times how nicely restored my Commer is BUT........Mr Chocs..... ;), it has been re-cabbed, re-engined and re-gearboxed, re-ratioed and even has the wrong wheels. I still consider it a restored vehicle and if it was repowered with a little Detroit, still would. But if it had Alcoa rims, a big block Chev and a Powerglide................probably wouldn't be quite so.

I once put up a heap of photos of trucks at a show (no cars or planes this time :P) and made a comment about one being one of the nicest restored kenworths I'd seen and that I'd known it since I was a younger guy. I received a message from a ............fellow enthusiast............. commenting that it WASN'T a restored vehicle cause it had a late model engine, and that my truck and his were examples of what a restored truck was. However, if mine or his were still working fulltime, they'd have both probably been using the same running gear as my all time favourite. It didn't stack up :-/ :-/ :-/

At the end of it, and this was pointed out by the heads of the ATHS while over in the States, if we don't embrace the younger guys getting involved with the hobby by allowing the modifications on the trucks they will simply wait for our clearance sales and chop them up later on. Those younger guys will hopefully recognise the heritage and will soon love to see marker lights with festoons rather than LED's, Strombergs rather than fuel injection and rusty springs instead of airbags.

That's the future and its inevitable and lets face it, it's better to see them done up albeit modified rather than crushed and heading to Korea. ::)

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121212 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Ya,
ADR's

That's been a BIG concideration on my "modified" parameter/ thinking too.

If it was manufactured in say 1995, it still and always has to comply with the ADR of that year.

But every vehicle on the road has to be roadwothy and sound in the engineering sence. (no daggy cut and shunts, dangerous protrusions or dodgy fuel tanks and such).

If it had air bags and anti-polution gear when "it" was first built, then its gotta have it now.

Modifyers take note.
It always has to comply with ADR.

Unless you go down the (in SA) "Individualy Constructed Vehicles" path.
That requires engineering certificates for almost every nut and bolt and where and how it's placed.

Unregisterable showcars/ trucks do what you want.
That's someones vision of automotive "Art".

BIDSTBC

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121213 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
The NSW rules relating to being original, apart from safety mods are a bit tricky.
My 1969 Ford Fairlane ZC sedan, was converted to an ambulance by Grice Motor Bodies, before being delivered to the Bathurst Ambulance Station (an therefore a commercial vehicle). Some people say that under NSW RMS rules it cannot be on Historic Rego as it was modified. Many trucks were deliverd as cab chassis originally.

My XJ-S Jaguar, is on NSW Historic rego, it was available as a four speed manual, but very rare, mine was an auto, but has been converted to a manual, using all jag parts apart from the Supra box, some people critcise it, some approve.

One of the clubs of which I am a member is a motor sport oriented club, they see roll cages, modified brakes, suspension, wheel tyres etc as safety improvements, also engine mods of the era can improve safety in motor sport.

I think it is one of those areas where we should satisfy ourselves that we comply with the rules and not complain, or raise it with the RMS about other's interpretation of the rules.

Paul

More
10 years 9 months ago #121214 by intermania
Replied by intermania on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
I wanted a stock looking 1954 model AR130 that drives like a more modern one. On the outside it is pretty stock.
[IMG

Under the bonnet is a 202 holden backed by a 5 speed overdrive box. Drives good,sits on 100kph all day & good on fuel.
[IMG

I took it to the first Penrith show & did not hear one negative coment. There is no way you would call this a hot rod, or is there something im missing? Cheers
Daniel.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121215 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Shes a bewdy Daniel..
Very tidy unit..

I don't care what they call it..
Its clean and tidy, does the job and most important,you are happy with it..

Thanks for posting the pictures

chocs 8-)

More
10 years 9 months ago #121216 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Very nice Daniel, looks like a sensible conversion.

In Queensland we don't have to worry about all this "must be original mularky", as long as it is over 30 years old it is cool, if it is modified you just need a Queensland Transport modification plate and certificate.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121217 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Sounds like you blokes have got a good system there too Camsta..

If everyone tries to do the right thing and keep things in perspective....Its all good [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

chocs 8-)

More
10 years 9 months ago #121218 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?

Very nice Daniel, looks like a sensible conversion.

In Queensland we don't have to worry about all this "must be original mularky", as long as it is over 30 years old it is cool, if it is modified you just need a Queensland Transport modification plate and certificate.

Yep, same in the NT. Over 30 years old and roadworthy and you can get club rego.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121219 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
First impression?

Bewdy.
And I do love a good enging bay.

From the outside,
It looks great.

It looks and stands straight, stock and period.

Why shouldn't something like this be on the road?

Full Rego no worries.
Historic Rego if it's not a daily driver.
It means you afford to have more than one in the shed, ready to roll, show or participate in a club or private run.
And, enjoy.

(The FJ Toyota pictured on page 1 is certainly a hotrod, because it looks like a hotrod.)

Well done Daniel.

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121220 by wayne69
Replied by wayne69 on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Isn't the idea of have a part of Australian history being able to drive them when you feel like it and sharing your classic or vintage vehicle enthusiasm with others not just having it sit in a dark and dingy shed where no one can see them or only yourself and a select few. I personally will not be spending 10's of thousands of dollars on a vehicle to only get down to the last few things that i can not find and have it sit there to rot once again. Sure everything is available but not NOS, reproduction these days are as good and sometimes better and those parts you just can't find and need to make as a one-off or maybe you would prefer to add some creature comforts. Does everyone use the same period bolts and nuts, wiring harness, what about hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel, that wasn't standard or even an option, the same paint brand etc as use in the day the vehicle was produced or in Henry Fords(1914-aprox 1930) case painted with a brush where does it end.
I say everyone to themselves as there is no point having something you are not happy with and can't share.
Well that's my 2 bobs worth.

Everything is fixable even if it ain't broken!

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds