Skip to main content

Hot Rod or HCV?

More
10 years 9 months ago #121201 by JBran
Replied by JBran on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
So would fitting out an old british truck like a Commer or Beddy with modern jap truck parts, like Isuzu/Hino axles/diff/engine/trans etc 'Rodding'??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago #121202 by
Replied by on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
My belief is if it looks original from the outside. And at least 90% of the main components are either original spec or where available in the same era or a known in use upgrade then yes it is a historic vehicle.

But if it doesn't look period (not worried about paint or chrome, more the stance, body and wheels). Or modern drivetrain or other substantial changes or modern then it should be treated as a hot rod. and might need engineers certificates etc.

Policing this I believe are generally up to the individual clubs. Based on guidelines from the different state bodies. So it would be best to talk to your own club what they require. In any case putting a vehicle on historic rego shouldn't be used to get unsafe or unregisterable vehicles on the road!

I appreciate both! So don't mind either setup.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121203 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
To a Commer enthusiast and concourse restorer...probably..

To someone who likes to look at any and every old truck at a show or event...probably not..

If its destiny was down the back of the waterhole to rust away...probably not..

If you own it and want to do that..do it...its your choice..

chocs 8-)

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121204 by
Jbran,

In my mind for rego purposes it would be yes it is a hotrod. And I believe Officially for getting historic rego in south Australia and nsw at least I think the answer would be yes also. It would be considered a rod. Due to the amount of modern parts in it. But if it looks original from outside i would still welcome it at a historic vehicle get together!

Talk to your local club and see what they can suggest. They would know what is needed.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121205 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
What about...
Norling Engineered Accos and Inters..
'Rodded' just after they came off the assembly line.

Bedford cabbed RFWs...

What about blokes like Mick Gardner..
Period trucks, period parts, period paint..
Complete with the Engineering ability to build them and run them up the highway every day of the week..

Good thing Ol Ron Horse and his mates 'Rodded' a few ol bangas or Bugly would be livin in Melbourne..lol :D

Perhaps there will always be a difference in opinion from those that 'play' with them, and those that operated them.. :-/

chocs 8-)

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121206 by
Gee you blokes have just given me some fantastic ideas for the 1918, bugger the timber wheels and solid rubber tyres I can go and get some nice fat 30 x 20's for the rear 30 x 4's for the front gotta be bloody cheaper, im sure I can also shoe horn in a big block and auto, but still use the original rear brakes only.

What a weapon and could drive it at 100kph to all the shows. WIN WIN.

Might be able to start on it real soon now.

Now still want to club rego it as a 1918 international or maybe also as a daily driver, might have to check out some of these other clubs that just let em thru.

?? Anyone got some contact numbers.

Trevor

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121207 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?

Gee you blokes have just given me some fantastic ideas for the 1918, bugger the timber wheels and solid rubber tyres I can go and get some nice fat 30 x 20's for the rear 30 x 4's for the front gotta be bloody cheaper, im sure I can also shoe horn in a big block and auto, but still use the original rear brakes only.

See?
Even SloSpeed gets it now ! !

He's probably got enough spare bits lying about
to build most of it now! (maybe with a Slant 6?) (and go down on the rear bags)
No mate, it sounds a very good idea to me.
Go for it.

-b

;D

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 9 months ago #121208 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?

Good thing Ol Ron Horse and his mates 'Rodded' a few ol bangas or Bugly would be livin in Melbourne..lol :D
chocs 8-)

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] Good ol' Ron Horse ... at the time necessity was the mother of invention. Doesn't matter what he did to his old trucks, today they are still old trucks.

My take on all this? If it looks like a hot-rod it's a hot-rod. If it looks like a historic vehicle, it's a historic vehicle. Whether you 'rod it, restore it, or use it somehow else it's stopping it rusting away in a paddock. ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 9 months ago #121209 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
In Victoria Street Rod registration only applies to vehicles built before around 1948 with a separate chassis. Anything later with similar modifications may go on full registration if it complies with Vic roads regulations. Providing it complies with them and the primary vehicle is more than 25 years old it may go on historic registration providing a club will authorise it.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #121210 by geoffa
Replied by geoffa on topic Re: Hot Rod or HCV?
Re historic vehicle registration.

My understanding of the situation in NSW is as follows. What is commonly called
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by geoffa.

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds