Skip to main content

1948 Fordson E83W pickup

More
10 years 5 days ago #134314 by rb057
Replied by rb057 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Hi Bugly,

The '39 prefect ute (E93A) we had looks a lot like your chassis/suspension, but without the engine offset to the passanger side.

Both springs on the ute we had, had hollow centre bolts with grease nipples in them. From memory the springs also had grease groves in them. I am sure that there was evidence of paint inbetween the leaves also. Maybe the 10 years diffrence in age, changed the need for greasing.

I remember an old "know-it-all" would tell the story keeping the grease up to the springs made his ute ride better. But when the lever-arm shockies stopped working, he stopped greasing the springs and the ride stiffened up...

Regards
Roger

AB120 4x4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 days ago #134315 by lantana jack

When I reassemble the spring packs should I grease the leaves to give them some 'slip' in service, or should I leave them dry?

Just had a look at the old 48 Fordson ute out back of me shed. The rear spring is covered in old hard grease. Certainly protected it from the elements.

Probably with your tropical corrosive climate a bit of grease wouldn't go astray. :)

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
10 years 5 days ago #134316 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Thanks Roger and Lantana Jack. The rear springs had the standard bolt with a joining nut, and a grease nipple in the other end of the nut. The nut thread had a linear broached hollow running along the thread, for the grease to bypass the bolt into the hole in the springs and thus passed into the springs. The front was missing this arrangement The front was also fitted with the longer rear shackle pins, so at some stage somebody has worked on it and eliminated the grease point. I

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 4 days ago #134317 by rb057
Replied by rb057 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
No worries Bugly.

Since yesterday I have been thinking more on your springs. I have turned our shed upside down trying to find the old prefect springs, i thought I kept them. Unfortunately I have not found them, must be really well hidden.

I recall that the spring shackles on the prefect were one peice as if they were fasioned from a peice of chanel. I think this would serve to stop the spring twisting. Were your original shackles this way?

Here is a sketch trying to show what I mean. Might be worth a thought.

Regards
Roger

AB120 4x4

More
10 years 4 days ago #134318 by lantana jack

The front was missing this arrangement The front was also fitted with the longer rear shackle pins, so at some stage somebody has worked on it and eliminated the grease point. I

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
10 years 4 days ago #134319 by Bugly
Great picture Roger!! According to my parts book the one-piece type of shackle was used on the Prefect, Anglia, Popular and 5cwt vans. The E83W (10cwt) van however always had the two

More
10 years 4 days ago #134320 by trucksyd
Looks good Lou, the mollasses tank worked great , good to see there was no bog in the guards etc.

More
10 years 4 days ago #134321 by Bugly

Looks good Lou, the mollasses tank worked great , good to see there was no bog in the guards etc.

Thanks trucksyd ... I swear by the molasses treatment now!! Old Clarry hasn't got any bog at all that I've found. Some of the panels are a bit sad, but I reckon they're all repairable. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] It'll be interesting when I start on the body, 'cos I've never done any body repair work before!! ::)

More
9 years 11 months ago #134322 by Bugly
Following a wire brushing of each leaf spring, and painting them last weekend, I was able to finish reassembling the front and rear spring packs today, on to the main leaf that I had already fitted to the new shackle pins. Each leaf was greased before the next leaf was fitted, which took a bit of juggling during assembly, but it all worked out in the end. :)

[img

A bit of measuring for distance and offset, and I was able to lift the chassis onto the springs, where it sat nicely in position.

[img

Tomorrows job after work is to fit the U-bolts to fix the springs to the chassis cross members, and start to fit the shock absorbers and link arms to stabilise the suspension. As you can imagine with transverse springs, there would be a lot of rocking from side-to-side if it wasn't for the shockies! ;)

More
9 years 11 months ago #134323 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
I thought the rule was NOT to grease the springs, because it removes the friction between the leaves that makes the springs work properly?

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds