Skip to main content

1948 Fordson E83W pickup

More
10 years 3 months ago #134284 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
After the success I had with the wheel rims, I think I've done my dash. After removing the rims, I loaded the tank with guards and other bits. Taking the covers off the top yesterday after six days in the tank, there was no scummy stuff or signs of activity so it looks like the molasses may have been killed by the high temperature this week. Certainly would have been hot under the steel cladding I used for a cover.

When I treated the rims, it was overcast and rainy, and the tank temperature would have been much lower.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134285 by dieseldog
Just put some fresh molasses in there, maybe a few handfuls of sugar and let the bugs build up again for a few days. Might pay to give it a bit of aeration as well so it doesn't turn sour.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134286 by Bugly

Just put some fresh molasses in there, maybe a few handfuls of sugar and let the bugs build up again for a few days. Might pay to give it a bit of aeration as well so it doesn't turn sour.

Thanks DD ... I'll try that!!

More
10 years 3 months ago #134287 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
I read on another Forum of a guy putting and air line in the bottom of the tank and using his compressor to stir it up every few days.

Said it speeded things up a bit.

Also another member used a pump to pump the mix over an item too big for his tank and whilst it wasn't immersed it did still work.

That could save time by not needing to invert (say) a mudguard that was too tall for the depth of the tank.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134288 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
I now this mite sound a little strange but how about using a cheap fish tank air pump to stir things about :o

More
10 years 3 months ago #134289 by invested energy
Compressed air is great for stirring up molasses...

We found 40% molasses was good for us, but maybe that was the particular type or temperature in Adelaide.

Have fun.

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
10 years 2 months ago #134290 by Bugly
Thanks for the tip, Invested Energy!! I stirred it up with compressed air and it took off again!!

I have been spending quite a bit of time lately taking apart the braking system. It is a cable-and-rod system, full of linkages, clevises and pins. Many of the pins have worn, so quite a few of them will need replacement. Some I'll have to go over-size due to the wear in the clevis and the eye.

Most everything about the brakes had seized up, so it has been very time consuming just freeing up the bits enough to remove them. Then a big clean down and wire-brush operation, and a prime/paint treatment before they are set aside ready for rebuilding later.

I'm glad I'm not charging me an hourly rate!! :-)

[img

More
10 years 2 months ago #134291 by Bugly
The brake cable on both sides had frozen into the rear aluminium alloy brake expanders, and locked in there with some aluminium corrosion. After finally freeing the cable, I found that the expander had actually corroded away the side of the housing that the cable sat in.

I cleaned it up, and made a repair from Selleys 'Knead-it'. After leaving it for 24 hours to harden, I could then file it into shape. Result ... just like a bought one!!

I must point out that I don't own the Selley's brand, nor am I an advertising agent for them. I'm just happy with this product!! ;)

[img

[img

More
10 years 1 month ago #134292 by Bugly
It's a while since I've updated, but have been doing lots of fiddly stuff like freeing seized brake cables, cleaning parts and painting them up so they're ready for reassembly. Getting quite a collection now, which is where Mum's freezer bags come into play. ;) They are ideal for keeping 'sets' together with their nuts and bolts.

[img

I've lifted the engine out of the chassis, and it's now sitting in a frame ready to strip down.

[img

The engine strip down will be interesting, as somebody at some time must have broken the mounting lugs on the bell housing that the radius rods connected to. Their 'fix' was to weld a lug on each side of the block, and they've successfully welded the bell housing to the engine block. Clowns!! :(

[img

Clarry has a major crack on the RHS chassis rail :o which will need welding, and probably plating as well to strengthen it.

[img

Now that the chassis is free I can realign the chassis rails and look to repairing the crack in the side rail. It is just forward of the step-down in the rail, so my realigning jig has to be a little bit tricky ...

[img

This has lined the chassis up beautifully, and with it sitting on the axle stands on the concrete floor is now perfectly level across the rails at any point. I'm happy with that! I'll just have to 'dog' the rail sideways a little to line it up vertically. There are also a couple of minor cracks on the rear chassis cross member which will be easy to repair. Once it's all repaired, there'll be the wire-brush down, the rust treatment, and then the paint job before I can start bolting things back on to the chassis. I've got an exchange set of original Armstrong lever-type shock absorbers on the way now from the UK so the timing will be perfect!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

More
10 years 1 month ago #134293 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Lookin good Bugly.

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds