Skip to main content

1948 Fordson E83W pickup

More
9 years 11 months ago #134324 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup

I thought the rule was NOT to grease the springs, because it removes the friction between the leaves that makes the springs work properly?

The Fordson has a grease-point at the centre fixing bolt, that greases between each leaf along a longitudinal depression ground into both sides of the springs. This system ran through all the Fordson, Prefect, Anglia and Populars. If it makes it too slippery, I'll take them out again, clean them down and reassemble them.

They were bloomin' slippery assembling them all greased up!! :D

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #134325 by Bugly

I thought the rule was NOT to grease the springs, because it removes the friction between the leaves that makes the springs work properly?

Stooging around on google, it looks like springs should remain dry (ungreased) if the suspension does not include shock absorbers. This then (as Beaver points out) relies on the friction of the individual leaves to dampen the ride. If the springs are designed to be greased, then a shock absorber is included in the design to dampen the ride. If the shockies are kaput, then the ride becomes pretty bouncy.

More
9 years 11 months ago #134326 by Bugly
I fitted up the left and right stub axles to the axle beam tonight, and connected the tie rod between them. I was lucky in that the king pins and bushes were OK, with no movement in the pins. I did renew the thrust bearings under the head of the king pins, the retainer washers and felt seals above the lower stub axle bushes, and the tie rod ends. That should give me nice positive steering with no slop. It's looking more like its heading towards completion now. At least mechanically! ::)

[img

[img

More
9 years 11 months ago #134327 by Bugly
The brake back-plates were fitted last weekend, with the brake expanders and actuators. I had the brake drums skimmed and they now look great.

The new Excelsior 6.50-16 tyres arrived during the week so I've started to fit them up the hard way with plenty of detergent and a couple of tyre levers. :) The rear drums were then fitted with the new bearings and seals and mounted to the axles ... I can't do the front yet as the new bearings don't arrive until Monday.

So far on the rear we've got new spring shackle pins and bushes, new shock absorbers and link arms, new brake linings, wheel bearings and seals, new tyres, plus the general strip down, clean and free up of the various seized bits and pieces, paint, grease up and reassemble. All in all, Clarry is starting to look like he's coming together at last!!

[img

[img

[img

More
9 years 11 months ago #134328 by lantana jack
Looking good :)

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
9 years 11 months ago #134329 by lantana jack
One slightly moded E83W fer sale back of Mackay:
www.justauto.com.au/justcars/cars-for-sa...text=Back+to+results

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #134330 by wouldyou
Bugly,
After looking at the previous post, thanks for your story and sticking to original.
Cheers, David.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by wouldyou.

More
9 years 11 months ago #134331 by Bugly
Yep David, sticking to original where I can, with some safety improvements like halogen bulbs in the headlights, flashing indicators and improved tail lights. I might even upgrade from 6V to 12V, but not decided yet.

It's a good thing I'm doing up Clarry's brakes though ... I've just realised I've been fitting 'POWER' tubes!! :) :)

[img

I've started to strip Clarry's engine down so I can see what I've got. There's a factory rebuild plate on the right side of the block which shows that the engine has already had a rebore to 30 thou oversize, so I guess I haven't got anything up my sleeve there ... just hope I don't need a rebore this time! The crank has only been ground to 10 thou undersize, so I've got a fair bit of life left in that. Cross fingers!!

[img

[img

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #134332 by lantana jack

the engine has already had a rebore to 30 thou oversize, so I guess I haven't got anything up my sleeve there...

Probably easy enuf to re sleeve if yer need to. :)

Looks like the ute at Dalby has sold. Wonder if a lurker here bought it :-?

Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by lantana jack.

9 years 11 months ago #134333 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Bulgy

Bloody fantastic workmanship.

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.648 seconds