Skip to main content

1948 Fordson E83W pickup

More
9 years 10 months ago #134364 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup

I was always told .003 per inch of bore in normal engines as well

Hi Ray and Geoff - I too was also told around 3-5 thou per inch of bore diameter as a ball-park gap, but these are the figures given by the ring supplier. Perhaps when he said "ring gap" he meant "ring gap per inch of bore diameter". Clarry's bore diameter is 2.5", so I might err on the side of caution and gap to around 10 thou. If it ran before with the big gap it had, it'll run better with 0.010! ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #134365 by Bugly
While I was waiting for the bits for the engine rebuild to arrive from the UK, I scrubbed down the engine block and gearbox in preparation for painting. Like the Dennis F1 fire truck engine, I used Wattyl Killrust epoxy gloss enamel in 'pewter'. The traditional dark colours make it hard for an old bloke to see things inside the engine compartment, like the dip stick hole. Also, it'll be easier to pick leaks and things. The add-ons like the oil filler, generator and starter motor will be black.

I will be taking Clarry to the Humpty Doo 'show and shine' next Sunday, so I'll dummy-mount the engine and gearbox in the chassis, even though it'll be missing the crankshaft, pistons, flywheel and things.

[img

[img

[img

More
9 years 10 months ago #134366 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Very nice work Bugly clarry has come a long way since the start of your post the old boy will be better than new on completion thanks for posting plenty of updates cheers bryant :)

More
9 years 10 months ago #134367 by Bugly
Thanks Bryant, appreciated! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] After work tonight I gave the painted bits a second coat ... they can now stay outside in the sun for a couple of days to bake out a little.

I also stripped down and cleaned the oil pump, and reassembled it ready for fitting. It was quite dirty around the gauze screen, which in the small Fords is the primary filter, as there is no other. There's an after-market filter arrangement available, which I have already purchased to fit to Clarry when I re-fit the engine. I hate the thought of unfiltered oil passing around the engine!!

More
9 years 9 months ago #134368 by Bugly
Clarry is all spruced up with the engine fitted (without internals) ready for tomorrow's 'show and shine' with the NT's Motor Vehicle Enthusiasts Club (MVEC) at Humpy Doo. See you there!!! ::) ::)

[img

[img

[img

More
9 years 9 months ago #134369 by plastic bertrand
credit to you Bugly and a super fast build too. ps ur putting me to shame. at the rate im doing my cab build

More
9 years 9 months ago #134370 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Just a quick question Bugly what paint did you use on Clarys chassis and how did you apply it looks fantastic :D

More
9 years 9 months ago #134371 by Bugly

Just a quick question Bugly what paint did you use on Clarys chassis and how did you apply it looks fantastic :D

This should answer that one ...

Hi Barnyard. With all of Clarry's undercarriage and other bits, I scraped all the crud off and gave it a good wire brush down. I then gave it a treatment of White Knight Rust Converter www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/specialty-p.../prep/rust-converter before a couple of coats of White Knight Epoxy Enamel applied by brush www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/specialty-p...topcoat/epoxy-enamel

The paint is quite hard, and I'm happy with it. I keep a couple of cans of White Knight Epoxy Enamel in aerosol cans for touch-ups and for painting the little bits. Except for the chassis, the rest of the bits and pieces were primed with White Knight All Purpose Primer www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/specialty-p...r/all-purpose-primer

Forgive me if I sound like an ad for 'W-K' ::)

... and the aerosol cans are invaluable for quick touch-ups!! ;)

More
9 years 9 months ago #134372 by Bugly

credit to you Bugly and a super fast build too. ps ur putting me to shame. at the rate im doing my cab build

Don't worry P-B ... I'll slow up drastically once I get to the body repair!! ;D

More
9 years 9 months ago #134373 by Bobsboy
Ahhh

A thing of beauty.

love your work. 8-)

-b

Mucking about on the edge

Time to create page: 0.618 seconds