Skip to main content

1948 Fordson E83W pickup

9 years 9 months ago #134384 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Hi Bugly

I have been watching your restoration and am very impressed.
I was talking to a retired mechanic regarding the KEW Side Valve motor in my Dodge Truck a while back. One thing he told me was with side valve motors the valve springs go in with the closed end up and in OHV the closed end goes down.

I noticed your springs are closed end down...........is that the way they came out.

I cant see how it would make any difference but this guy was adamant.

Daz

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #134385 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup

G'day Bugly, if I can make a suggestion, using a piston, push the ring towards the bottom of the bore and measure the ring gap. Any taper in the bore will show up then, and ensure that the rings don't bind at the bottom of the stroke.

Thanks Ray, I should have thought of that! :-? I'll do that tomorrow, but I'm picking it'll be OK because I don't think it was too long ago that it had the 0.030" rebore.

Checked tonight and all good, Ray. No taper in the bore that I could measure!!

Bulgy those rings look much bet a ru.

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing

Trevor

You're not wrong Trev!! Can't have had much compression before!!

Hi Bugly

I have been watching your restoration and am very impressed.
I was talking to a retired mechanic regarding the KEW Side Valve motor in my Dodge Truck a while back. One thing he told me was with side valve motors the valve springs go in with the closed end up and in OHV the closed end goes down.

I noticed your springs are closed end down...........is that the way they came out.

I cant see how it would make any difference but this guy was adamant.

Daz

I pulled one out tonight Daz, and as I thought they are same-same both ways. So with this engine, which ever way you fit them it's the right way up!!

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
9 years 9 months ago #134386 by Bugly
Pistons in ;)

[img

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #134387 by Bobsboy

um er,
closed end open end ?
huh?

But I do know from personal experience [as a tadpole] that putting 'progressively wound' valve springs in upside down is a prerequisite for taking it all apart again and doing it right the second time.

That is, the lightest, (easiest to compress) bits on top.
It allows the valve to seat/ unseat - respond to the cam lobe - quickly, and so expose the port to the maximum gas flow. [?]

Mine 'ran' but it wouldn't rev for shite, not good on a 250 Honda. [smiley=cry.gif]

Yours look to be the same 'pitch' from top to bottom, hence the "closed end open end" bewilderment.

bwwik?

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Bobsboy.

9 years 9 months ago #134388 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Had a look on the 'Net' re valve springs and there is definitely a right way to install them.

In my earlier post I referred to the closed/open end of the springs. After more research the terms should be 'Closer wound end and Open wound end' The Closer wound end should go to the Valve Head..ie down in OHV and up in SV. This has something to do with lighter wound open end being easier to compress/recoil by the tappets or cam followers.

More
9 years 9 months ago #134389 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
BUGLY
Can you put up a photo of the valve spring in its un-compressed state?

More
9 years 9 months ago #134390 by Bugly

BUGLY
Can you put up a photo of the valve spring in its un-compressed state?

Hee hee ... too late!! The Ford E93A engine has valve springs at a constant pitch from one end to the other. This engine was first manufactured in 1938, and didn't change much right through to 1959.

I made good progress this weekend. Con-rods fixed to the crankshaft, oil pump refitted, timing gears and new timing chain on, and the new ring gear fitted to the flywheel. I used mum's gas oven again, preheated to 260 degrees centigrade with the fan on, popped in the ring gear about mid-oven and baked it for about 10 minutes. Removed it while wearing my welding gloves and popped it straight on to the flywheel. Beautiful!!

[img

Fitted up the flywheel and new spigot bearing, and lock-wired the bolts. Then fitted the clutch plate and pressure plate, lining up the bearing and the spline using my eyechrometer ...

[img

The eyechrometer doesn't need recalibrating yet as the gearbox slipped straight on!! I bolted it up, checked everything over, and fitted the head gasket ...

[img

The head was fitted to the block and torqued down, and we're ready to lift it off the workbench and slip it onto the chassis ...

[img

Torque tube (driveshaft) fitted, front and rear engine mounts bolted up, manifold on, oil filler and dipstick tube fiitted and its looking good! So far I haven't found any bits left over that should be inside somewhere ::)

[img

[img

More
9 years 9 months ago #134391 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
WOW Bugly the chassis and running gear look to nice to be hidden by body work very nice :)

More
9 years 9 months ago #134392 by VicHung
Hi Bugly

I have been following this story with admiration and a lot of interest as I used to drive an E83W van when I left school in 1955. I seem to remember that because of the forward driving position it had a shorter and more upright gear lever than shown in your photos. It was certainly much shorter than the equivalent Prefects etc of the day.

I can remember when I was flying around at its top speed of about 35mph I would change gear with this beautiful short gear lever imagining I was in an MG.

Congratulations on the job you are doing, it looks amazing!

More
9 years 9 months ago #134393 by Bobsboy
Hi,
Front engine mount bracket to the engine - 2 little bolts.
Bracket to the chassis - 2 big bolts.

Oh well, it worked well enough for the first 76 years. :D

Good work.

-b

Mucking about on the edge

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds