Skip to main content

1948 Fordson E83W pickup

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #134424 by Mairjimmy

Hi Bugly

It turned out the nut had bottomed on the stud thread so wasn't applying the correct force on the head. I fitted a washer to the stud under the nut and the problem went away. I noticed in the photo there is no washer on the relevant stud.

I have also notice that there is a lot of thread above the nut on that stud, maybe david is onto something, only if life with old stuff was so simple ;)
Any way welcome davidm1521, good to have you on here :) :) :) Bugly life without Murphy would be a little dull ;) ;)
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Mairjimmy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #134425 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Hi David and Colin (and of course others :) ) I haven't done too much to Clarry lately as I've been tied up with other things. But there's three more days this weekend, so who can tell??

David, I had wondered if I needed washers under the nuts. All the photos of the E93A engine I have seen in manuals and handbooks don't show any. I might fit some anyway. They'll need to be hard steel washers and not the Bunnings-type as there might be a tendency to squash a bit. I've got the Coppercoat and a new gasket ready. This time I'll take plenty of time to torque and re-torque down the nuts. I've also bought a Warren and Brown deflecting beam torque wrench, so it's for sure I'll get the right torque this time!! 8-)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
9 years 1 month ago #134426 by hayseed

Hi Bugly

Firstly I wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed your posts on the pick-up. I'm not suggesting this is the cause of your coolant leaking problem but it is perhaps something worth checking. I had the same symptom of coolant escaping from one of the stud holes after I had fitted the cylinder head to the 10hp E93A engine in my Buckler. It turned out the nut had bottomed on the stud thread so wasn't applying the correct force on the head. I fitted a washer to the stud under the nut and the problem went away. I noticed in the photo there is no washer on the relevant stud.

Welcome david.. Would you mind telling us more about your Buckler???
I had to let Google being My friend & tell me what a Buckler Is,
Sounds Like you have rare vehicle ..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 1 month ago #134427 by davidm1521
Well, here goes. I've got two Bucklers a Mk 6 year not known but 1952 would be about right and a 90 first registered in 1961 though it was a long time in the build before I bought it. I'd appreciate instruction on posting photos of the two cars. The Insert Image button just inserts [img][/img]. Both cars have the Ford E93A 10hp engine and 103E mechanicals. I've had the Mk 6 for 7 years and have done quite a bit of work on mechanicals, interior and bodywork. I've had the 90 for more years than I'd care to admit. It is undergoing slow re-assembly which I hope to finish by the end of this year. Even though I'm retired there never seems enough hours in the day to get things done.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #134428 by hayseed

Well, here goes. I've got two Bucklers a Mk 6 year not known but 1952 would be about right and a 90 first registered in 1961 though it was a long time in the build before I bought it. I'd appreciate instruction on posting photos of the two cars. The Insert Image button just inserts [img][/img]. Both cars have the Ford E93A 10hp engine and 103E mechanicals. I've had the Mk 6 for 7 years and have done quite a bit of work on mechanicals, interior and bodywork. I've had the 90 for more years than I'd care to admit. It is undergoing slow re-assembly which I hope to finish by the end of this year. Even though I'm retired there never seems enough hours in the day to get things done.

David, Check out the FAQ section regarding posting photos..

in essence you have to first upload your pics to a photo hosting site (photobucket & Flicker are popular & free) then copy & paste the Image links here..

If you have trouble email some to me, (address in my profile) & I'll stick 'em up for you

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #134429 by davidm1521

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #134430 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Quite pretty little thing, the 90.

I'd never heard of them until now.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #134431 by Mrsmackpaul
I have never heard of them either

looks like VW wheels it looks like you would get the whole driving experience with those cars

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #134432 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
The Ford 10hp vehicles (Fordson van and Prefect, Anglia and Popular cars) all had wheels which looked like VW. I would say without a doubt that the Buckler ran the 10hp Ford running gear and probably used the same chassis.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
8 years 11 months ago #134433 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Hey bulgy any updates I've been keen to see if you've made any progress cheers Bryant ;)

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds