Skip to main content

1948 Fordson E83W pickup

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #134394 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
VicHung ... nothing wrong with your memory!! At some stage Clarry's original 1948 engine and gearbox was replaced, and according to the present engine number it is now a 'first Quarter' 1950 E493A Prefect engine and gearbox. This Prefect was the first of the English small fords with the headlights recessed into the front guards ... before that, they were mounted on the top of the guards. This'll explain the different gearstick ;)

Bobsboy, there is a casting on the engine front cover plate which sits over the transverse bracket, which actually holds the weight of the engine. The small bolts just hold the bracket into this casting. I still have to extend the original E83W engine radius rods from the second chassis cross member to the engine brackets I've fitted with the sump bolts. The E83W had lugs as part of the gearbox that the rods were mounted to, but these were changed with the Prefect to the sump brackets. I'll stick a picture up later once they're fabricated.

Edit: If you have a look at the above picture of the engine suspended on the block and tackle, you can see the radius rod brackets at the sump line under the red strap. The radius rod brackets on the car fixed these brackets to the front chassis cross member, on the E83A van they went the other way and fixed the gearbox to the next cross member to the rear.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Bugly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #134395 by Bugly
I just had time tonight to mount my bypass oil filter on Clarry. This is a 'retro' item styled along the optional Ford oil filter at the time. Inside the black 'look-alike' canister is a spin-on cartridge filter.

And I checked that the fan and belt clears everything!! :)

[img

More
9 years 8 months ago #134396 by Bugly
Here's a couple of photos taken tonight of Clarry with some other bits fitted after stripping, cleaning, painting and bolting back on. The air cleaner was missing when I bought Clarry, so it now has a new AC oil-bath air cleaner from a (Lister?) stationary engine. Ebay can be good!!

[img

[img

More
9 years 8 months ago #134397 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Looking good Bugly clarry must almost be ready to fire up :) cheers Bryant

More
9 years 8 months ago #134398 by grahamjb
Looking very nice :)

More
9 years 8 months ago #134399 by Bugly

The RAC (British) formula for calculating tax horsepower:

RAC h.p = D squared multiplied by n divided by 2.5
where
D is the diameter (or bore) of the cylinder in inches
n is the number of cylinders

Absolutely no relationship to actual horsepower.

This works for Clarry. Bore diameter is 2.5 inches, squared is 6.25 square inches, multiplied by four (number of cylinders) equals 25, and divided by 2.5 gives 10hp.

So actual horsepower may be much much greater!! :o Lookout!! ::)

More
9 years 8 months ago #134400 by dieseldog
What about imperial horsepower? How about metric, mechanical, brake, electrical, boiler, DIN, PS, hydraulic, flywheel and drawbar horsepowers?

Just work out which one is the biggest and go with that... ;)

More
9 years 8 months ago #134401 by Bugly
Clarry's got a muffler. To be more correct, it's a 1.5" x 18" Superdog resonator. Tom's Mufflers in Darwin supplied this and made up a replacement front pipe, and reckons it'll fit the bill nicely. When I said something about a cackle out the tail pipe, he laughed and said that at 10hp it wouldn't make too much noise! ::)

[img

More
9 years 7 months ago #134402 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Hey Bugly how's Clarrys progress going ? I hope all is well regards Bryant :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #134403 by Bugly
Gidday Bryant - All is good. I'm working on the fuel tank now trying to sort out past dents, patches and bogged up bits to stop it weeping fuel. I took the fuel pickup/sender unit off, and 3 out of 5 screws sheered off. Got two broken stubs out but Murphy's Law says there will still be one stubborn one left. Using an 'ezy-out' extractor I'm almost at sheer pressure, so I've given that away. With all my grinding and drilling I have hardened the steel screw shank and am having a sh!t of a time removing it. But I'll win! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Once the fuel tank is back on the chassis and plumbed up, I reckon I can start Clarry up! 8-)

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds