Skip to main content

1948 Fordson E83W pickup

More
10 years 3 months ago #134254 by damogeelong
looks like a lot of work are u goin to keep original running gear it would be a shame to see it ratroded!

old gear metal not plastic

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134255 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup

looks like a lot of work are u goin to keep original running gear it would be a shame to see it ratroded!

Yep, it will have a full mechanical and body make-over and when back on the road it'll still be a 10hp sidevalve Fordson pickup flat out doing about 70kmh on the open road! ;D It will get a few mod-cons like flashing indicators and an after-market oil filter (no oil filter when new). It will be finished as a tray-back ute. 8-)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 3 months ago #134256 by damogeelong
cheers it will be a great jigga

Yep, it will have a full mechanical and body make-over and when back on the road it'll still be a 10hp sidevalve Fordson pickup flat out doing about 70kmh on the open road! ;D It will get a few mod-cons like flashing indicators and an after-market oil filter (no oil filter when new). It will be finished as a tray-back ute. 8-)

old gear metal not plastic

More
10 years 3 months ago #134257 by hypermung
G'day Lou...
It's great to finally see 'Clarry' in the flesh. Mate, that offset engine thingy & one footwell is very quirky indeed. Where will Mrs Bugly sit, or more importantly, where will she put her feet?... Rocking chair in the back with the shotgun?
Me thinks me hears the sound of banjos ;D
Keep up the good work buddy & I'll keep my eyes peeled for those 5" rims for ya

More
10 years 3 months ago #134258 by Bugly
The chassis is up on axle stands, and the wheels have been taken off with tyres removed. The old caked-on grease and crud on the chassis will be cleaned down to expose all of the mechanical bits, to make removing of the bits and pieces easier.

[img

Along the way I have gathered a couple of IBC containers, one of them having been damaged by a forklift. I repaired the holes and cut off the top of the tank and frame to make a very usable molasses tank for de-rusting my panels. :)

[img

The rims were loaded in this afternoon, and mixing of molasses started ...

[img

Here we are with about 180 litres of molasses solution in the tank, mixed at one litre of stock-feed grade molasses to ten litres of water. 200 litres just covered the rims. The local stock feed guy sells molasses at $2 per litre, so this tank of de-rusting solution is only $40. Once the rims are de-rusted, the solution is still OK to stick more steel panels in. Alloy and aluminium bits are a 'no-no' though. :o

[img

Once the rims were covered with the molasses solution, I covered the tank with a few bits of colorbond sheeting to keep the rain and stray cats out. It'll need a bit of a stir around every day or two, and a week will probably make a big difference to the condition of the rims. I'll pull one out next weekend and see how its going. ;)

More
10 years 3 months ago #134259 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Appreciate the updates, thanks.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 3 months ago #134260 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Your not messing around there Bugly the old girls coming along nicely I'm very keen to see how the rims turn out after there bath cheers Bryant :)

10 years 3 months ago #134261 by
Replied by on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Bulgy

You must have a good boss as you are really making some progress.

Am really enjoying the pictures.

Trevor

More
10 years 3 months ago #134262 by Bugly
Thanks guys. The boss keeps asking when am I going to do some more on the Dennis!! :) :)

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #134263 by Bobsboy
First Pic - Post #5
And a picture of my favourite hammer.
Fits a 1' cold chisel perfectly. (fix it or. . . it)
-b 8-)

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Bobsboy.

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds