Skip to main content

How rusty is too rusty

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #135440 by Hardtopman
My old mans truck was in end of the hay shed in Serpentine and is still rusted to buggery

I reckon find another cab, they are not that rare yet. I picked up a 200 D5N last year with a ok cab on it for $500. Has rust in floors and some in planum but otherwise ok and fixable.
Look out the eastern wheat belt i got my blue truck from Doodlakine and its almost rust free and to good to pull apart.

Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Hardtopman.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #135441 by Hardtopman

More
10 years 2 months ago #135442 by Hemi74
Replied by Hemi74 on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
that floor is quite repairable, im a panel beater by trade and yea no problems just buy some sheet and make up a floor pan, orcut one out of another cab, depending if the rest of the cab is ok

More
10 years 2 months ago #135443 by Hemi74
Replied by Hemi74 on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
problem with the dodges is that they wernt made from bad steel but were not etch primed in the factory what is a huge factor for rust, and under the roof in the cab where the structual roof comes up to the roof skin has no paint in there at all , thats why the roofs rust out, best thing to do with these ol girls is to strip em back to bare metal and etch prime them and last a life time, or another method is go nuts with fish oil

More
10 years 2 months ago #135444 by Hardtopman
Floor rust is just one part of it all, when's its everywhere its just not worth it. I could go and look at 1/2 dozen trucks that are advertised. There is better ones out there to start with, they are not that rare

More
10 years 2 months ago #135445 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
Hey Hardtop do you know of anyone that has done a roof change on a Dodge? I'm thinking that the roof change would be easier than a full cab change. That one in Koji looks pretty clean.

More
10 years 2 months ago #135446 by Backyard Fixer
It's too rusty!

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

More
10 years 2 months ago #135447 by Hardtopman
A roof swap could be done but is a lot of work and more than swapping cabs i feel. A fair bit of work would go into keeping it square so everything fitted back as it should. Remember the working tolerances of these old vehicles was pretty slack so the "new" roof may well not fit that well.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #135448 by ERF
Replied by ERF on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
This LAD Kew Dodge was too rusty......but it still got restored!.

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by ERF.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #135449 by Bigfieldy
Having swapped cabs and done a roof replacement, the roof replacement is definitely the easier option. Roof replacement on the Dodge's is pretty straightforward. The hardest part is finding a good rust free roof!

I've got a few pic's, had more but the old PC crashed. From memory the roof only has the spot welds around it holding it in place. Sits on a nice solid framework. Having been advised by a crashie mate who has had Dodge's. He recommended using Lord's Fusor www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/adhesives/metal-bonding.xml and clamped it up, all nice and straight. Tidy up afterwards with a few welds. All easy and straightforward. In fact gave the new roof some colour before putting back on. Made things easier.
http://rs1292.pbsrc.com/albums/b572/bigfieldy/utf-8QFILE297_zpsc9338a87.jpg~c100?t=1397137740
http://rs1292.pbsrc.com/albums/b572/bigfieldy/utf-8Qat4_cab_on_rear_zps50185d4e.jpg~c100?t=1397137738

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds