Skip to main content

International C1820

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #150676 by Urchy87
International C1820 was created by Urchy87
I'v been looking at an International C1820 for a project build. I've looked at other trucks of differnt makes but the body of these draw my attention. This would be my first project build so I'm not expirienced and know little about trucks but driven to do a project with my son (still a little young at the moment).

I've found one which I can have for nothing. I've looked at the truck and will post some photos to get your opinion on if the work it needs is achievable by a first time hack and worth doing. Currently it has a flat bed tray but it also comes with a single axle tipper which I have not seen but that sweetens the deal a bit. The current owner said he used a turn table which was bolted down with U bolts that I could also have. Is this still legal and if not is it possible to install a modern setup with little fuss?

Adventure before Dementia.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Urchy87.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150677 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: International C1800
Hi Urchy,
Sounds like a good project to start off on as these trucks are still plentiful. U-bolted turntables are no longer legal, but not too hard to make a permanent installation, however you may need an engineer to look at it before you can get it on full rego. Club plates might be a different matter.

Dennis

More
9 years 5 months ago #150678 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Re: International C1820
Thanks for your reply IHScout. I hope it is also. I am trying to upload some photos to get your opinion on its worthiness of repair but my phone won't copy URL's so I will do it when I get home tomorrow. The main issue I can see is some rust on the chassis. Not sure what the limits are with that sort of thing. Hopefully someone on here can help with that also.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150679 by Urchy87
Here is the rundown with some pics

Bad
Engine needs a rebuild/replacement, front windscreen is missing, bonnet needs replacement, needs new seals and rubbers, rust holes in both foot wells, roof has rust holes and damage, rust on chassis (This is my main worry. Not sure on roadworthyness with this even once cleaned up) and needs some interior parts. That's the obvious stuff.

Good
FREE with trailer, relatively complete, gearbox worked well including 2 speed diff (before engine issues), not a lot of body damage, I've always liked the style, parts should be easily sourced, I'm up for a challenge and this one seems to be achievable from an inexperienced eye.

Please give me your experienced thoughts on suitability for a first timer.

Overview

Tags

Chassis Rust

Roof Rust and Damage

Regards

Urchy87

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #150680 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: International C1820
Sure, it looks a bit nasty, but the cab is better than most (around here, anyway). The bonnet is far better than anything I have.
The chassis; if I'm looking at it right, yes it has rust bubbles, but still plenty of thickness. Tray/whatever will need to come off to fix it. (or is it a double chassis?)
Windscreens are readily available and I'd think there are 345's around (what's wrong with it, anyway?)

It looks fixable from the pictures and the price is right ;)

If you go for it, you know where to come for advice.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by asw120.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150681 by Urchy87
Thanks for the response asw120. That is what I was mostly hoping to hear. Yeah it is a double chassis. Does that change anything? He wasn't sure what happened. Just stopped running so he parked it up.

Urchy87

More
9 years 5 months ago #150682 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: International C1820
Hi Urchy,
I agree with Jarrod, the rust in the chasis looks like it might clean up ok, and the cab doesn't look to bad. However, be prepared that it may not be as easy to repair as expected. How much space have you got to do you work in? It's inevitable that as soon as you get this one home, someone will tell you about another one available with a better cab or a better chassis, and before you know it you'll have two parked in the driveway with the intention of making one good one. But be warned, they are like rabbits, once you get two together, they start breeding and before you know it you'll have 5 and a wife who is threatening divorce. Not trying to discourage you, just making sure you not looking through rose coloured glasses (or is that International Red coloured glasses). :D ;D ;D ;D

Dennis

More
9 years 5 months ago #150683 by Urchy87
Hey IHScout

Luckily I have 1550 acres with a dam wall that hides all my important belongings from the wife's vision. I have a machinery shed to complete the work which also helps.

I'm not too concerned if it is a little hard as I do want a bit of a challenge. Just don't want to waste a heap of time and money. It doesn't hurt as much if things are worth what you put into them. Looks like the old girl might get another lash at life.

Are you able to interpret the tags for me? There is little I for on these trucks. Most of it is on Acco's.

Thanks

More
9 years 5 months ago #150684 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: International C1820
The difference with a double chassis.....again, if I'm looking at it right, then the rust bubbles might be in between the rails. The only proper way to fix this is to split the rails. I have no experience with this, myself. I imagine the rust could be chased out with a cutting disc, but a bit dodgy. I don't know at what stage such rust becomes a machinery fail.
On the upside, it's basically complete and there are plenty of trucks with dead cabs around, or just rolling chassis. If you do decide to split the rails, they're a simple truck without millions of bits in the way. Most of those bits will be fine out in the weather for a while if shed space is a bit tight. (they take up triple the space once you get them apart!)

Someone who knows about rust in double chassis please educate us!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 5 months ago #150685 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: International C1820
Hi urchy I agree with scout and asw very honest looking old truck the rust in the cab looks to be virgin rust that hasn't had the bodgey filler quick fix as for the chassis I'm sure with some elbow greese it will come up fantastic please keep us posted with your progress cheers Bryant :)

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds