Skip to main content

International C1820

More
9 years 5 months ago #150686 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Re: International C1820
I'd be all over that like a rash. So it's free - does it need any more sweetening? The engine's the least of the worries with these IMO, options are everywhere. If it's rooted good excuse to put a diesel in it. Rust is more important (body harder than chassis) and as everyone's said it actually looks not too bad at all as far as they go.

What are you waiting for!?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #150687 by geoffa
Replied by geoffa on topic Re: International C1820
This is example of the rust that can form between the main chassis rail and the L plate reinforcement on an AB180 International truck. (And probably any other make with a double rail chassis).

We removed the section of L plate reinforcement that had the rust between it and the main chassis rail, sanded all surfaces back to bare metal, painted them and refitted the L plate reinforcement.

Before any one comments that we only used vertical welds when replacing the outer reinforcement, when we removed the outer plate we found that truck was originally built as a 171"WB. 18" had been added to make it a 189" WB before the one piece L plate reinforcement had been fitted. The ID plate on the door shows it as a 189" WB with the correct chassis number shown. One would assume the extension was done by IH before the truck left the factory. The 18' extension only had vertical welds. The welds on the outer plate are away from the welds on the main chassis rail and we don't intend carrying heavy loads on the truck.

Geoff.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by geoffa.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150688 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Re: International C1820
Well Urchy there's nothing there that can't be fixed and it's free so your out in front already so you can put your resources into the resto good luck and will be looking forward to seeing it at Yarra Glen or Clunes

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
9 years 5 months ago #150689 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Re: International C1820
Thanks for the help guys. Now that I know the chassis rust is a non issue it's next stop will be my place. You will be hearing from me for sure during the project as this is my first attempt at a rebuild. I'll keep you posted.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150690 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: International C1820
Urchy, see what Scout means, Geoffa only had one truck, then got a spare.... like rabbits...

Whereabouts in our wide world will are you??? Might need to set some Rabbit Traps... ;) ;) ;)

IDSTBC... I think the info on the ACCO and C line is the same except for the obvious body differences...

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150691 by Urchy87
Thanks Sarge. I live in the Western Queensland. The traps are being set as we speak.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150692 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: International C1820
Geoffa, so the outer rail's only an "L" section, not a "C" section? That makes things so much easier.....

Urchy, U know we love piccies! Also, just how far would you be from Ipswich and in which direction? if you turn up an AB110 parts truck.......

Cheers, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 5 months ago #150693 by Urchy87
About 5 hours west. I'm getting this one off my step father. In general conversation he was saying there is another Inter out at one of his brothers places. I think he said it was an AS though. If its at the brothers place where the trailer for this rig is I will have a look and ask the million dollar question...'Is it for sale?'.

As I progress I will definitely be posting photos. Most of them will probably have question attached to them.

Urchy87

More
9 years 5 months ago #150694 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: International C1820
Hi Urchy, just notice the bonnet on yours is off a the later D-line as it has the horizontal INTERNATIONAL badge across the front. The C-Line has the perpendicular IH badge. C and D bonnets respectively below. Not that it matter much, but if you are going to replace the bonnet you may as well get the right one.

[img][url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/29207984@N06/9064279423/][img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/9064279423_57b98e4aaa_z.jpg[/img][/url]
DSC00321 by 718scout , on Flickr[/img]

Dennis

More
9 years 5 months ago #150695 by Urchy87
Thanks IHScout.

Yeah the bonnet it has is from a D1310. I think it has rust through its frame so it will get replaced. Are you able to tell me what year it was manufactured by the tags?

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds