This is the one in Claire's link

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by grandad. Reason: add text
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188691 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Austin 245F
After much cleaning of connections, sussing out the odd short here and there I now have all the lights up and working once more. I even managed to get the wiper motor working for two days and then nothing :angry: - it will be overcome even if I have to run a new power line to it! :dry:
I have discovered two things during this process:
1. Wiring diagrams are absolutely useless in trying to trace where the wires actually go - physically
2. LED lights require negative earth, definitely did not work on positive earth. Now I'll have to re-polarize the generator and switch my coil connections around; anything else? (Ammeter as is?)

Attachments:

More
6 years 5 months ago #188702 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Austin 245F
Hi PDU
Ammeter will have to have the wires swapped from side to side
If your combo taillights have a separate earth to each light you could
just wire them A*** about running power in through earth and earthing
the live feed wires clearence lights are easy
Another option would be to fit an alternator save repoloriseing your genny

Bluey

More
6 years 5 months ago #188705 by PDU
Thanks Bluey, it is reasonably easy to repolarize (I believe :huh: ), and more importantly cost will be zero.
I was planning to change anyway so I can fit my GPS, a UHF, and a radio. Wishful thinking that I might be able to hear them!? :lol:
Not fussed whether the ammeter reads backwards :blink: so that depends on how easy it is to change over . . . yeah, I know, I'll admit it, I'm basically lazy. :blush:

More
6 years 5 months ago #188707 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Austin 245F
Ammeter should be easy if it's the same as my 5 60 f they just have push on
connections just pull off and swap from side to side
Yep hearing them could be a problem a fair bit of the noise comes in the form
of fan roar from their six blade fan hit a big puddle when the fan belt is a bit loose
and everything goes quiet for a few seconds

Bluey

More
6 years 5 months ago #188717 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Austin 245F
Polarising is very easy and you're right free.

If the fan is that noisy why not fit an electric fan and have some peace and quiet?

More
6 years 5 months ago #188725 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Austin 245F

PDU wrote: 2. LED lights require negative earth, definitely did not work on positive earth. Now I'll have to re-polarize the generator and switch my coil connections around; anything else?

LEDs are polarity sensitive, but should work by switching the wires around. Red to earth. Have done it on a couple of mine.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire
The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree, PDU

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #188744 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Austin 245F
I found repolarizing the genny is easy,not so easy working out the regulator,I ended up with a system that i couldnt get working or figure out.I read somewhere that positive earth was to eliminate battery terminal corrosion.I also found that a genny cant keep up with electric fans on a truck,and the battery goes flat.Some Austins had multiple fan blades,and some could be removed.My Austin 6cyl diesel only needed one piece/two blades.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
4 years 2 months ago #207020 by PDU
Damn! Two years plus later and the Austin is still basically in the same state it was at the end of 2017.
I did re-visit the brakes, treating the master cylinder and front slave cylinders to new seals after freeing up sticking pistons, plus replaced the dodgy looking front brake hoses. For the first time I actually had a brake pedal AND brakes (other than the hand brake) BUT after a week the master cylinder stuck again!? Basically it probably needs to be sleeved OR have a heavier spring inside it to push the piston forward again???
However, other things have happened in the last month that have changed things around here . . .
But first some history: When I bought the Austin I was at a clearing sale - to potentially buy a pointy nose Bedford (1939-53), which was two lots after the Austin, but could not bear to see the 15ft long steel chequer plate tray (and truck) sold off for a pittance, so bid on it anyway. The ruckus my wife made about what I was doing caused considerable amusement amongst the other auction participants whilst the auctioneer calmly carried on, with a huge smirk on his face, calling out for more bids until he announced, "Sold to the happy man on my right." Wife was not impressed - more amusement all round.
I decided that it would have been more than somewhat imprudent to attempt any bidding on the Bedford thereafter, and wondered how on earth I was going to get the Austin home!?
AND so we move on to February 2020 - lo and behold an O type Bedford was spotted for sale locally, viewed, and ultimately purchased.
It's like going back three years to where I had originally intended to be and the Austin is now available for sale - reasonable offers please, preferably without the tray but if the offer is suitable I'll even let that go too. It will fit on to a car trailer (the Bedford did, just, with the same wheelbase) and it can be driven on and off which is eminently easier than I was able to do with the Bedford - another seized engine to sort out!! :pinch: :dry:
More on the Bedford later - most probably in a post all of its own . . . B)
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago #207023 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Austin 245F
Looks Good PDU, Your Wife can Drive the Beddy & you the Austin ..........LOL

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds