Skip to main content

Turbo Perkins into a A359D Dodge

More
4 years 10 months ago #201176 by JOHN.K.
Another little snippet......in the 60s ,many farmers wouldnt have diesel trucks.......they were too frightened of the Customs and Excise ....Of course ,all they had to do was keep records,but a lot couldnt read or write,so it was easier to have petrol trucks and have your certficate for the tractors and pumps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #201192 by Dazza1949

This is a photo of how the engine mounts sit in relation to the crank pulley

These are the ‘boxes’ I’ve made up to take the engine mounts. I have cut two slots in the backside of the front cross member and plan to weld them in. I have deliberately mad them too deep and plan to trim to size once the engine is properly located in the chassis.

The cut out in the rear of the front cross member is where the engine mount boxes will be welded in. Ignore the flat bar tacked on the crossmember as I cut the holes in the wrong place originally. The plate across the rear of the front member will be shaped and slotted to take the engine side of the ‘boxes’ and the plat will also bolted to the left and right chassis.
This is an old chassis that I’ve been doing my mock ups on. It has been in an accident and is visibley bent.....front track is about 25 mm to one side of the rear track so I can’t be too precise with my measurements. Final tweaking will be done on my truck.
Note the rear cross member of the D3F sitting between the chassis rail further back
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Dazza1949. Reason: Insert photo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark60

More
4 years 10 months ago #201193 by Dazza1949
As a matter of interest the Commer 6 speed ratios are as follows
First 7.497
Second 3.983
Third 2.983
Forth. 1.590
Fifth. 1
Sixth. 0.78

My Diff is 5.85

Type radius 445mm

More
4 years 10 months ago #201207 by allan
What rpm are you thinking? A quick theoretical on your data says in 6th, 2,000 rpm would be 74 kph, 2,500 would be 92 and if you can get 3,000 it'd be 110, so I'm guessing 100 kph would be somewhere near 2750 rpm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dazza1949

More
4 years 10 months ago #201216 by Dazza1949
I’ll be more than happy with the 92 at 2500 with a little in reserve. This truck is over 60 years old so holding it on the road at too higher a speed is a challenge not to mention the ability to stop the thing. Very little engine braking in 6th O/D.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201230 by Morris
Any time a vehicle is modified to increase it's speed, It is extremely important that the braking system is modified to cope with the extra speed!

Ask any Hot Rodder!

Road handling (steering, front end geometry, etc.) is also very important but can be much more difficult to improve.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #201327 by Dazza1949

I’ve fitted a power brake booster and I’ve got an exhauster on the turbo Perkins to give some vacuum. The engineer will have the final word on whether that will be sufficient.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Dazza1949. Reason: Add Perkins

More
4 years 10 months ago #201333 by Mrsmackpaul
He might want you to have a vacuum tank and a none return valve if the truck doesnt alreafy have one

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 10 months ago #201334 by JOHN.K.
I d paint the booster and chassis same colour,and pretend it was on the truck already if asked.........incidentlally,i dont like single line systems on trucks.........had a few inters run out of brakes when a single fluid leak occurred.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201350 by Dazza1949
I’m definitely going to fit a vacuum tank. I painted and mounted the booster and Bendigo Speciallist Brakes did all the plumbing. Isn’t that a no return valve on the chassis so I imagine I would fit the vacuum tank inline between it and the Booster.....what ever I do the truck will go back to the Brake place for checking.
If my brakes are still not sufficient the easiest option is to fit a dual circuit master cylinder and a second booster. 1 for the front and the other for the back. I’ve seen this done on a XY GT....2 boosters were fitted in the boot.
Another option is to take the air over hydraulic system off the D3F and adapt it to my truck. This will require heaps of plumbing and work under the dash. Would also have to take the Exhauster off and refit the compressor.

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds