Skip to main content

Turbo Perkins into a A359D Dodge

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #201351 by Dazza1949
I’LL NEVER REUSE A BOLT AGAIN . Lesson No 1

I usually use new bright and shiney bolts on my projects but I’d run out of 3/8” unf bolts and was feeling a bit impatient and wanted the bell housing on ASAP. I decided to go with the bolts I had taken out. I checked them out and they all (8) looked fine. Unfortunately this one clearly wasn’t. It must have been cracked half way thru and broke off as I tightened it..... had to take the bell housing off again and then use an easi-out.
Lesson No 2 Don’t be impatient.
I now have to wait till late this arvo for the courier from Bendigo to get here with my new bolts.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Dazza1949. Reason: Spelling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201354 by JOHN.K.
I never fitted a tank or non return on my conversions..........but very few went for inspection.....I just used to notify a change of engine number,get it checked ,and that was it..........the PBR booster has a no return valve in the fitting...IIRC........incidentally,the air from the booster goes into the engine,this is why the Inter trucks ahd the little canister oil bath filters fitted on the firewall............I never worried about this either,just relying on the little felt pad in the booster.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201355 by JOHN.K.
never reuse a bolt.....sounds good,until you realise every bolt and nut on the market is Chinese rubbish.......I had repeated breakages with Chinese gr 8 bolts used in a machine at the sandblasters......every one cracked thru the threads.......replaced them with some old ,used gr5 bolts from my stash,and never had any more trouble.......in fact the only bolts you can trust now are from Caterpillar.....and costly.

More
4 years 4 months ago #205395 by Dazza1949
I’ve finally bitten the bullet and made a start

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

More
4 years 4 months ago #205402 by Morris
Dazza 49,
Somebody/something out there in computerland says i do not have "permissions" to access your page.

I don't know what I need permissions for or who from.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 4 months ago #205406 by 14B-Beaver
Dazza, It would be worth checking out the Regs. re your booster. It was mandatory in Victoria that all trucks with vacuum assisted brakes must be fitted with a reserve tank and a low vacuum warning light in the cabin. The reserve tank had to be capable of holding enough vacuum for x amount of applications of the pedal.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #205407 by JOHN.K.
I think the big chamber on the VH90 must have complied with this rule.....the same rule applied to air brakes ,and you had to be able to release the maxis when all the main tanks were empty.....a vac tank is a good idea,stops brake fluid going into the motor when (not if) the PBR booster starts leaking......you nearly always find PBRs with fluid in the diaphragm chambers,sometimes half full.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
4 years 4 months ago #205608 by 14B-Beaver
Dazza, Attached is a page out of the Hydropower Instruction Brochure showing the Low Vacuum Switch, Check Valve, Air Cleaner and Reserve Tank.
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago #205609 by JOHN.K.
The last Inter D1710 i cut up for scrap was V8,and it had a vacuum tank.....but the tanks are thin sheet metal and rust away quickly........I reckon an old fire extinguisher would fit the bill for a tank.

Time to create page: 0.613 seconds