Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #250920 by grumpy gumpy
Some videos are a bit long winded, but it’s something to do in the evening other than watch the idiot box and the drivel that passes for "entertainment " these days. He has a series on metal forming that may be of benefit to you with the truck (of which I am enjoying your progress) .
Gumpy
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #250921 by PDU
Yes I agree grumpy gumpy, and I apologise for putting capital letters on your moniker last time. 

Despite horrible weather around here I cut my way through the atmosphere and made it out to the shed, hot but determined to try out an idea I have been considering . . . Picked up some piece of scrap and tried forming a small piece of material in the vice. Nothing special, two piece of surplus (cut from the side of one of my shower screen windows (tinted, toughened glass) taped them to either side of the sacrificial piece of the thinner sheet. Set all this in between the two crappy pieces of rusty metal in a vice and "pressed" 

Idea looked plausible but would be hard trying to use this for metal wider than the vice. As the strips I had used were too narrow I found some more 3mm scrap, cut one at the height I want the joggle/swage line. Then with an off-cut from the sheet metal used on the turret attempted to set it up in the vice again (not easy by myself), something like this:

Again the vice proved itself to be too narrow and an attempt to shift the metal side ways resulted in alignment being compromised . . . not excessively but obvious:

I am going to give this a go using a bender so I can lay it out flat and hammer evenly along the length of the fold with the upper jaw. No doubt 180wannabe will see this as we have been communicating about what I was going to try. He was planning to do likewise on his brake press so it will be interesting what his turns out like? Your turn to add a picture or two 180wannabe . . .  

UPDATE: After some experimentation, trying several ways to achieve an end result, and some fine tuning to boot 180wannabe has come up with a result that look to be closer to the mark than my effort. Consequently this means a three hour round trip south for me next Wednesday and, needless to say, I will duly include pictures of the process as it may assist others later. Now it's time to take the four required panels off once more.

I can't thank him enough for his efforts in assisting me - meeting him through the forum, and eventually on one of the South Australian Runs, has been a real boost for me and makes being a member of this club so much more worthwhile.  
Last edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #250923 by oliver1950
I have used reasonably thick (so as not to flex or bend) pieces of angle iron in the vice to extend the jaws to bend sheet metal. I also clamp the ends so they don't open under pressure

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, PDU

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #250924 by Zuffen
I recently acquired one of these for a future project.

www.kangindustrial.com.au/products/kaka-...FUDFz7hoCT3AQAvD_BwE

It would make that so much easier and is cheap enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, PDU

More
1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #250925 by PDU
Exactly what I have been looking for Zuffen, I know what they can do but for the life of me could not find anyone who had one locally. No doubt you will make good use of yours and assist those around you, more strength to you.

I have come to that point in my life where I realise this will probably be my last big project. Basically my money is so tight it truly doesn't make sense for me to buy something that I will only use once, sad though that may be. 

Fortunately it looks like an alternative has been found. IF the Bedford ever gets finished I will drive it with a greater sense of fulfilment and with heartfelt appreciation to those who have supported me along the way, even if it is not as perfect or shiny as I might like. So be it.   
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #250930 by Morris
PDU
I was mistaken in thinking that you wanted a half-rounded bead type swage along your panels.

Sometimes there is a used metal swaging/beading/ shaping tools or sale on eBay or a similar site.
You could buy it ,use it and then sell it again on the same site.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, PDU

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #250931 by PDU
Rest assured I had been looking, with that thought in mind Morris. Perhaps if I had seen Zuffen's ad earlier I might have bought one that I could then pass on to the Men's Shed. 

No problem now, issue solved, and you'll see the results Wednesday, or Thursday.  

NB   Along with other regular responders on here you are also included in my comment last night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 month 4 weeks ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #250936 by PDU
Mad dogs and Englishmen go out to their sheds and work in the midday sun . . .

Removed the four sheets ready for the joggles, with all the lower screws removed B for looked like it was ready to take off - wings spread out kinda flight of the Phoenix . . .  

Now waiting for Wednesday.

The T shirt I was swimming inside of is now in the wash and  I'm off to the shower. Commiserations to any of you who are also attempting to work in it. Why do we do it? Perhaps we are all mad?    
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #250937 by Southbound
Why do we do it he asks...
A lot of things are needed to do a restoration and the thing that is the hardest is persistence. I find that doing something everyday gets the job done. 

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis, PDU

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #251000 by PDU
Interestingly came across this sign when I stopped for fuel enroute to 180wannabe's shed (albeit machine shop) . . .

. . . that sounds about right, and with that in mind the joggling begins.

Step 1  Sheets were marked (both sides) and folded 45 degrees

Step 2  3mm strip added to lower edge, sheet was flipped over, re-aligned with marks and flattened

Step 3  Sheet was flipped again with joggle uppermost and out of the way from upper jaw which then came down again to flatten things to be sure, to be sure (as the Oirish would say). 

End result once back on the Bedford) following . . .

Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds