Skip to main content

1949 Dennis F1 Fire Truck Restoration

More
10 years 4 months ago #47183 by Bugly
Thanks Bobsboy. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] A lot of the advice I've been getting is based on boatbuilding methodology, but timber-framed boats are also headed towards the dark ages too, especially in the NT. Most of the boats up here are steel, aluminium or fibreglass, with the odd ferro hull from time to time.

Whether its boat or vehicle repair, it's a matter of trying to understand firstly how to work the timber to the shape you want, and then decide the best products to use. In my case, I also have the outer steel skin to consider, which will need to go back on the timber frame later and be welded and nailed back into position.

So ... just one step at a time!! :)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #47184 by Bugly
To steam-bend my timber for the Dennis body frame, firstly I need a boiler to generate the steam. Take one dead super cheap 40 litre compressor ...

[IMG

Modify it a little ...

[IMG

Add a base to it ...

[IMG

Grab a high-pressure gas burner from where they sell lots of BBQs ...

[IMG

Stick 30 litres of water in the tank and light the burner ...

[IMG

And in 30 minutes we have good steady steam.

[IMG

I turned the boiler off after steaming for an hour and a quarter, and used only 15 litres of water and not much gas, so Bugly is very happy. :) :) To bend timber it is recommended that it is steamed for an hour per inch thickness of timber, so I'll have plenty of capacity for my 19mm (3/4 inch) Tassie Oak. Next task is to make up the steam box. ::)

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #47185 by Bobsboy
Well,
you've certainly got the steam making part under control.

Stand back folks, man at work, he has a plan.
Bugly is going to bend something "sci-en-tif-ic-ally" (i.e. without a hammer).

This is going to be, at the very least. . . educational.
One hour of steam for every for inch thickness of timber. Hands up everyone that already knew that.
See, some of us have learned something new, free for nothing already.

Maaate, we'll be right there with you, side by side, shoulder to shoulder, massed as one, brothers, united to the cause and ready to offer sound advice at a moments notice.

Remember that big shed we all helped with?

Ya right, looking on crackin' tinies from the side lines, at a safe respectful distance more like . . . while you do the toil.
(What are mates for? It's an Australian Tradition right?)

LOL
(watch this space)

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
10 years 3 months ago #47186 by Darren81
Amazing work, my fire truck used to sit in front of this, I always told Simon it would take a brave man to tackle the restoration, amazing work.

More
10 years 3 months ago #47187 by Bugly

Amazing work, my fire truck used to sit in front of this, I always told Simon it would take a brave man to tackle the restoration, amazing work.

Gidday Darren - yep, it has taken a while to get it to this stage. If you didn't see the link on the start-up of the engine at Reply #267 on page 14, here's the link again ...

Please make sure Simon sees the link too! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #47188 by Bugly
I really must do some more on Dennis! Maybe next week, as I'm taking the three days between Easter and ANZAC Day off, which will give me 10 days straight off work. :) :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #166072 by Bugly
No progress still since way back when, but I am starting and running the engine from time to time. Now I have resigned from the volunteer fire brigade I should have more time for the toys!!

Aussiehooker, pm sent regarding the window frame you were going to duplicate for me.

More
8 years 3 months ago #166073 by Mrsmackpaul
Bugly all good mate I started something over 20 years ago never brave enough to put pictures up here to much dust on it would give everyone something to laugh at so your not as side tracked as me all good mate you have years to go before your as side tracked as me LOL

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 3 months ago #166074 by asw120
Cat's outa the bag now Paul, come on - bung 'em up!

Jarrod. ;)

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 2 months ago #167418 by Bugly

Bugly wrote: No progress still since way back when, but I am starting and running the engine from time to time. Now I have resigned from the volunteer fire brigade I should have more time for the toys!!

Aussiehooker, pm sent regarding the window frame you were going to duplicate for me.

Aussiehooker, another pm sent regarding the window frame. I really would like to contact you about it please.

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds