Skip to main content

1949 Fargo Truck Restoration Update

More
13 years 6 days ago - 13 years 6 days ago #49918 by MMKNJL
Does anyone know the sequence of the switches - the gauges and std lucas light and ignition are obvious, however I don't know what goes where. There are five smaller holes above the gauges and another original small hole on the right side of the driver's windscreen (don't know what goes there either).
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m602/maxandmarie/Fargo/P1020621-1.jpg?t=1303723357
'
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m602/maxandmarie/Fargo/P1020618.jpg?t=1303723357
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m602/maxandmarie/Fargo/P1020600.jpg?t=1303723683
Does anyone know who fabricates windscreen frames. I've searched, but found nothing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Max

Max
Last edit: 13 years 6 days ago by MMKNJL.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 days ago #49919 by slantie
Max - check out this web page - www.old-dodge-trucks.co.uk/dodge_kew2.htm

If you don't find someone that can make windcreen frames you will have to make your own. :( a good panelbeater should be up to the task! 8-)

Beautiful job so far - keep the photos coming Max! :)

More
13 years 6 days ago #49920 by atkipete
There is one comes to Lake Goldsmith, will try and get a photo for you

More
13 years 6 days ago #49921 by Bugly
Great looking restore so far! Sure can't beat a "body off" restoration job. Good sized workshop too! ::)

What tyre size are you running? Looks to be about 7.50x20, or are they 6.50x20?

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
13 years 6 days ago #49922 by mammoth
An advertiser in Restored Cars magazine makes windscreen frames. www.redfoxframes.com.au

More
13 years 6 days ago #49923 by Aussiehooker
looks like you are doing a great job so far and not missing any bits and pieces just a couple of hints with your sand blasted cab there are a few light rust spots this is caused by the salt that comes out of the pores of your hands when you touch or move parts use rags or gloves until you get things primed de oxidine or rs1 [ phosphoric acid ] will remove the light rust and stop problems with paint at a later stage . when i did my apprenticeship we were taught that brakes diffs and radiators were painted black to attract heat to disapate into the air quickly therefore stopping things like brake fade and engines from over heating i am just wondering if the engine colour will keep the heat in causing over heating or engine damage' just wanting to see you get years of pleasure after all the hard work

More
13 years 6 days ago #49924 by The Ferret
"i am just wondering if the engine colour will keep the heat in causing over heating or engine damage"
I think the color would be fairly safe....
look at all the different colored engines available..
Perhaps the type of paint or compound used may hinder the dispersion of heat..
plenty of engines painted gray or white, particularly in marine applcations
max

If only i had a camera

13 years 5 days ago - 13 years 5 days ago #49925 by
The paint colour on the engine would only have a barely-measureable effect on cooling. The type of paint, as Ferret says, would possibly have more effect on heat transfer (a thick epoxy paint would have higher insulating properties than a thin enamel) .. but in the overall cooling effect, the greatest % of cooling is done via heat transfer from the block and head, to the coolant.

In that case, it's vital to ensure that all scale buildup is removed from the block and head when reconditioning. Caterpillar repeatedly talk about the massive insulation ability of scale buildup in cooling systems.
According to Cat, 1.6mm (1/16") thickness of scale inside a block or head has the same insulating potential as 100mm (4") thickness of cast iron.
This relatively small thickness of scale can reduce heat transfer by up to 40%.

In the Dodge/Chrysler flathead motors, it's also important to ensure the block cooling tube insert is in good shape. This tube is vital for correct coolant flow and dispersion, for maximum heat transfer.

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 5 days ago #49926 by gilly

This old truck is still on the farm, minus tray & hyd equip, could be worth buying for spares, in good condition for its age, dont expect it for nothing, farmer who owns it would be reasonable!!
Gilly

More
13 years 5 days ago #49927 by gilly
Whoops, this is the other photo.

Time to create page: 0.563 seconds