Skip to main content

Some EX Kwikasair / Comet 8 wheelers

More
7 years 6 months ago #175128 by overnite
Different ratios.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #175133 by werkhorse
the diffs were in different ratios ...being duel range I reckon one was in low gear and the other in high

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by werkhorse.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 6 months ago #175134 by Swishy
BillyPeee
Gudday M8
me rekons Ovrnight m Werkorse R on the munee

I had the problem of one diff in hi n other in low
When gross n 100 ton I slip the diffs into low
but when I had lift off the beast left black tyre marks on Rd (18t on drive)
flik the switch n try a few more times ... n eventually all in low
contacted KW next day n they said contact Eaton ...tiz there diffs
Mr Eaton came on the next trip n it worked fine
Eaton wiped there hands on the problem as they said KW plumbed m up
so there problem
the 2 speed air operated doodadd takes 10w oil
n wen the internal seal leaks all the 10w disappears in ....... n in leaks the 140 diff oil back into 2 speed
th@ can make it slo n stiky wen cold to change from hi to low or viky versa

When the truck twaz ordered for ovr 100ton heavy haul work
they were worried about a few failures with the Eaton 2 peed diff
n were hesitant on fit n with a 15 speed RR
we ask why n they sed sum of the road train boys were have n diff problems
mainly from shifting on the run
so we sed fit the 2 speed switch out side the cab
they sed why din we think of th@
LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 6 months ago #175135 by olddon
I seem to remember someone telling me that a KAA Kenny had the same problem going up the Putty at some stage. It was only truckstop rumour though. Cheers Don

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #175162 by BillyP
..Pretty right $wishy...they would have been handy to have around back then...........
We didnt have much to go on ,,,.... just a casual word about the diff lock not coming out from one bloke,
a service call to get the lock out on another truck, then the RS Williams truck breaking the odd bolt in the
top suspension rods, but that might only happen every fourth or fifth trip, so the major issue didnt arise
till the Williams truck stuffed the diffs. How ever. even though the diffs were running one in high & the other
in low , every thing appeared to be sweet, as the power divider ,(inter axle diff ) was coping with the situation,.
........ until the diff lock (inter axle lock) was actuated.....Then the axles were trying to climb over one another.
Bearing in mind these axles could be set up as three speed units. low ....both in low range...............intermediate...
one low one high...........then high being ...both in high range.
When the diff lock was actuated,,,axle wind up would prevent the thing disengaging, even though the switch was
flicked off. So the Williams truck , being on the out back run, if the diff lock was actuated for what ever reason,
could have been running in the wind up situation for who knows how long. Maybe till he reversed and it popped out.
If the diff lock was not used , that trip may have been sweet....................
I dont know if a change from low to high range would ease the load and let the diff lock pop out.,
The air piping was a bit of a nightmare as they were set so if you were in high range and you actuated the
the diff lock, there was an automatic change to low range at the same time.............that change was the one that
didnt go too good if you were on the trot.........same again coming out of diff lock if the range switch was still in high.
A normal change from high to low ( or vice versa) on the trot was what the things were designed for, so dropping into
low range before engaging the diff lock was the way to go if you were moving.....still with care mind you.........
I suppose i should have twigged a bit earlier on ..............but it was only when i took Merciecas truck for a run that i
realised what might be going on.........when i did a range change on the trot, engine revs stayed the same and the speedo
jumped up (or down as the case may be). That meant the tail shaft speed was constant...........so either no change was
happening or it was a one high one low situation .The speedo jump was the speedo drive doing its job.
If the range switch was moved only at rest ,.i may not have noticed the no eng rev drop (or rise ) between the ranges...
(does that make sense)..........................
SSSOOOO.......IF the inter axle diff could stand up to the hiding, and the diff lock was not actuated,there could
have been more trucks running around with the plumbing problem that were not detected.
I dont recall just where the air plumbing mistake was located after it was rectified ..............
Another thing about the Eatons ,some people said not to run them for extended periods in low range
(As that is when the planetary bit is operating) because wear may occur....
Well...........Some of the single range 44 diffs (may be all of them i dont know) were duel range with the
thing locked in low range for all of their life .................
We fitted the change bizzos and plumbing etc to a couple of single range axles , thereby turning them into
dual range .( this did give the truck a nice turn of pace)
Well, hows that for an explanation................Maybe a bit long winded................
After the diff repair and revised plumbing the R S Williams truck (to my knowledge ) didnt break any
more suspension rod bolts............so there you go.................
...............................Billy..................................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by BillyP.

• Swishy
More
7 years 6 months ago #175164 by Swishy
BillyPeee
SMe again

With the duel range eatons you could only engage diff lock in low range
(STOP ..... getout.......flick switch to LO........jump in.........flik Diff lock IN.......engage gear cog... ease clutch out...n away we go)

for memory Eaton 44DT ..... ratios 4.56/6.21 mounted under KW big 6

cya

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 6 months ago #175166 by BillyP
..$wishy...........
Did your thingo have a plumbing error or was it just a sticky shift syndrome.............
How old was it at the time??????????????
..............................Billy.............................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

• Swishy
More
7 years 6 months ago #175169 by Swishy
BillyPeee
M80
twaz plumbd up th@ way from day one az in bran new
with th@ much screeem n HP me dun need lo range
LOL
spose eye'v had it in a cupla times to N gage Diff lock
n also to climb up on to the service ramp

cya
ยง

More
7 years 6 months ago #175176 by rex
Gentlemen
Please ease up on the discussions, Paccar say see Eaton they made the axles go see Eaton, Eaton say Paccar plumbed it go see Paccar.
Given we had a couple of KWs with these axles it only brings back bad memories, we named the Eaton rep WINDOWS every time you questioned the problem he would reply "I will look into it".
Swishy mate
Is the service ramp the biggest incline you climb ?
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
7 years 6 months ago #175187 by overnite
Rex, mate, not to be pedantic, but its mirrors not windows. You look out of windows, into mirrors.

Time to create page: 0.596 seconds