Skip to main content

Kenworth K-100 Grey Ghosts

More
9 years 1 month ago #15083 by overnite

Hi mate .. the original rigid 'ghosts were boxed and crated in Seattle (after testing) and imported to Australia to be re-assembled at Bell St Preston Vic....with the first ones having the earlier so-called "B" cab and spiralflow mufflers, with 4.11 rears 15 O/D RoadRanger and 8V71 apparently screwed out to give them their mythical 100 MPH (in certain situations)

15 O/D RR? Me thinks 1O O/D from memory .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #15084 by werkhorse

Hi mate .. the original rigid 'ghosts were boxed and crated in Seattle (after testing) and imported to Australia to be re-assembled at Bell St Preston Vic....with the first ones having the earlier so-called "B" cab and spiralflow mufflers, with 4.11 rears 15 O/D RoadRanger and 8V71 apparently screwed out to give them their mythical 100 MPH (in certain situations)

15 O/D RR? Me thinks 1O O/D from memory .

Correct ..... The first 15 speed ghost was the 4th Aussie built one .... Then there was a mix of 10 and 15 then they settled on 15 .... But all the 15s had deep reduction disconnected ....NFI exactly why though

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
9 years 1 month ago #15085 by BillyP
Considerin those buggies were driven by every body & their dog............i think usin the 15 o/d box....

(it matched the 871 pretty good & gave a turn of pace) was about the best way to go.

It was virtually indestructible & handled the floggin pretty good.........plus havin most of the fleet

with the same box made it a hellava lot easier on the change overs.

As for the Deep Reduction bit,,......well it just came with the box.....wasnt required.........so was

blanked off............(just another thing to get mixed up with.)

So, why not just use the 10 speed box,????well...........as i recall .....the 10 had bigger steps ( bidstbc)

& you couldnt keep the 871 up on the goveners all the time as with the 15 .

Thats my take on the situation. Hoo Roo ...................Billy................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
9 years 1 month ago #15086 by greenie

But all the 15s had deep reduction disconnected ....NFI exactly why though

Werk, weren't you on the 'spanners' at one time ? [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Think real hard about now,
" why in the hell, would a 'ghost' - EVER - need to drop the box into deep ?" [smiley=lolk.gif]

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
9 years 1 month ago #15087 by BillyP

Option (B)
There was a fire sale on 15 speed boxes at the time...................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

• Topic Author
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #15088 by
Replied by on topic Re: Kenworth K-100 Grey Ghosts
...sorry fellas .. i goofed on the RR (too lazy to dig out the bible ::))

...also the first 20 400*** series Kenworths were in fact assembled and tested at the Kansas Missouri plant prior to being boxed and shipped to Australia (or possibly even direct to New Zealand?)....these ones assisted the start of our local production, and as more local vendor suppliers came on board, the less reliance on the imported American bits was achieved....

More
9 years 1 month ago #15089 by Dave_64
Werkhorse,

Thanks for that clarification early days K-A-A, comet, TNT, etc etc.

I think I'll wait until the book comes out!

You did mention a Wes Searle and his 'newspapers', where did he fit into things? Cheers.

Dave 64

More
9 years 1 month ago #15090 by werkhorse

But all the 15s had deep reduction disconnected ....NFI exactly why though

Werk, weren't you on the 'spanners' at one time ? [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Think real hard about now,
" why in the hell, would a 'ghost' - EVER - need to drop the box into deep ?" [smiley=lolk.gif]

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Yar i got that part of it .... But why spec them in the first place? I have a theory .... They were thinking of the after linehaul uses like Bulk etc .... I would have thought all the added weight and parasitic power loss would be a disadvantage .... But I guess it didn't matter.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
9 years 1 month ago #15091 by werkhorse

...sorry fellas .. i goofed on the RR (too lazy to dig out the bible ::))

...also the first 20 400*** series Kenworths were in fact assembled and tested at the Kansas Missouri plant prior to being boxed and shipped to Australia (or possibly even direct to New Zealand?)....these ones assisted the start of our local production, and as more local vendor suppliers came on board, the less reliance on the imported American bits was achieved....

I believe they sent them here and then sent them on to NZ Phil .... I'll e mail you a little bit of info I have acquired ;)

More
9 years 1 month ago #15092 by werkhorse

Werkhorse,

Thanks for that clarification early days K-A-A, comet, TNT, etc etc.

I think I'll wait until the book comes out!

You did mention a Wes Searle and his 'newspapers', where did he fit into things? Cheers.

Dave 64

Dave ... All that was off the top of my twisted little brain .... I'll look through my notes tonight and see what surfaces

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds