Skip to main content

Kenworth K-100 Grey Ghosts

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #170893 by werkhorse
Dave ... the original 19 Ghost Rigids ordered by Wally Shapowloff were fitted with 4.11s then when TNT took over they moved to the slightly slower 4.63s .... the semis ran 5.29s ..... Ansett were running 4.44s right through ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by werkhorse.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #170894 by defective
The "grey" part of the Ghost story may confer to when the metallic enamel paint had been washed and broomed a few too many times and the lovely German Racing Silver dulled off alarmingly quickly to a shabby flat grey....

....It didn't stop them going like the clappers all the same, and I'm pretty sure you'll find the term "Grey Ghost " came about a little while later into the 1970's when there were quite a few of these bangers rounding up all and sundry very regularly on a nightly basis......of course, the Kwikasair drivers just lapped it all up ... B) B) B)
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by defective.

More
7 years 11 months ago #170895 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Kenworth K-100 Grey Ghosts
Speeding tickets were not a real problem, as tickets obtained out of city limits paid by the company. In the 35mph zones, you paid your own. (Doesn't take long to figure out were you speed.) No such thing as demerit points in those days.

More
7 years 11 months ago #170896 by werkhorse
One story I've been told by the driver of the second ever ghost ....

.... did a trip ... got booked about 6-7 times between Melbourne/Sydney .... hands the tickets in with everything else .... old Wally is in the office ... has a look .. turns and says ... "is that all you got this trip" ...

If only it was like that nowadays.....

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
7 years 11 months ago #170899 by Dave01
Replied by Dave01 on topic Kenworth K-100 Grey Ghosts
I think I can see signwriting on the fuel tank in Paul's image (PT232.?)
Perhaps another signage variation?
Were CB radios in use during the high speed ghost period? can image they would have been useful for calling through from the 'wood duck' up front?
Regards Dave

More
7 years 11 months ago #170900 by Mrsmackpaul
thanks for the replies fellas I didnt think the semis would have been Grey Ghosts mainly because they would be slower and with a 5.29 they would be a lot slower than the rigid trucks still would have been lively enough though for back in those days I would think

And those pictures arent mine i pinched them from the other forum that got me thinking about this

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 11 months ago #170903 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Kenworth K-100 Grey Ghosts
Few comments to add to the discussion:
. Ansetts were 4.44 but with direct boxes (same spec I experienced for a period at B&M - best I was booked at was 106 kmh downhill)
. The 4.63 in the KAA rigids were with od boxes (which is also the Super 8x4 setup)
. By the time CB's came in around '77 the rigid ghosts that were left were starting to transition to peaches and cream and were mainly semi's so you can imagine the skill, blinker communication and trust they relied on in their heyday..
. I can only assume that the semi ghosts at 5.29 and od boxes were considered quick because they were generally more lightly loaded and at least went up hills quicker than most, but there was a whole differnt breed of small fleets that were seriously quick through the late 70's and early 80's

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #170917 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Kenworth K-100 Grey Ghosts

I some times wonder...............
Did the name Grey Ghost come from Gelignite Jack Murray , who ,with Bill Murray
won the 1954 redex trial in a 1948 Ford sedan, painted in grey
undercoat and named GREY GHOST , ...
They not only won but did not lose one point while going
like the clappers of hell most of the time.
Their antics created quite a bit of discussion (U mite say)......
The car was an ex taxi ..of canadain heritage......
Here is a carbon copy of the 48 Ford.............
............................Billy.......................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mairjimmy

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #170919 by defective
...Gee Billy .. you might've nailed it...is there a period photo or tale from back in the day about their "Grey Ghost" ?

...would've been easy for the wags runnin' the Hume back then to christen those fast moving grey rockets that very name with those Redex trials still something very memorable to a lot of 'em....
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by defective.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 11 months ago #170920 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Kenworth K-100 Grey Ghosts
Tec........if you google (Gelignite Jack Murray)....you will have enough
reading to last you a month...............
....................Billy......................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

Time to create page: 0.607 seconds