Skip to main content

Crusader

More
14 years 6 months ago #15910 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Crusader
it sure is a pitty the germans did not make a copy of the 2 stroke GM with a air cooled version
wouldn,t that cause some drama's, some blokes would not know what they wanted 8-) ;D ;D ;D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #15911 by VicHung
Replied by VicHung on topic Re: Crusader

I have found out something today - the Scammell Crusader and the Leyland Crusader are pretty much the same truck.... I am looking at a Leyland Crusader to do up.... :(

Joe

Joe, The Scammell Crusader and the Leyland Crusader ARE the same truck, the only difference is the badge. In spite of the Leyland badge on many of the Australian and Kiwi ones, they are a true Scammell, designed and built by Scammell, not Leyland. They were only badged as Leylands in some markets for marketing reasons as at this time British Leyland owned Scammell Lorries. Quite a number of operators removed the LEYLAND lettering and replaced it with SCAMMELL, including Stan Williamson in the first photos.

Cheers, Vic

More
14 years 5 months ago #15912 by plantters
Replied by plantters on topic Re: Crusader
Greetings from Watford fella's, Home of the Crusader and every other Mighty Scammell out there.... Or should I say down there!!
Stumbled accross this forum after searching on line for info on my favourite subject... Yes the Crusader.
Have 3 of the old girls myself, 2 wreckers and a 35 ton Tractor, 61 Ton gross.
All three have the Rolls Royce Eagle 305 engine in them which was about the same power as the Detroit but the Roller had more torque.
I have cobbled together a small web site about this great truck so feel free to take a look
www.scammell-crusader.co.uk
I have a vast collection of information on these so if I can be of any help to anyone please just drop me a line and I will do my best to answer what I can!

Here is one of them in all her glory.....

All the best from Blighty!!! ;D

<a href="http://www.scammell-crusader.co.uk" rel="blank">For the love of S

More
14 years 5 months ago #15913 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Crusader
Welcome to the forum, Plantters we must have a few Scammell photos kicking around here somewhere.

More
14 years 5 months ago #15914 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Crusader
Hi Plantters ,welcome to the forum . What do you reckon atkipete ,think we will have him converted to the ways of OZ and have him visting out here for sandown next year ,as roland did ? ian .

More
14 years 5 months ago #15915 by monty
Replied by monty on topic Re: Crusader
A Not to shabby site planter, well done,
-Monty ;)

More
12 years 10 months ago #15916 by tjy77
Replied by tjy77 on topic Re: Crusader
Hi all, stumbled across this forum the other night while searching for something else and glued to it every spare minute I get since!
One of the first trucks I rode in as a kid of about 2 or 3 was a Leyland crusader. The old man worked for a bloke who had 3 of them, a 1/2 sleeper and 2 daycabs.
Got an idea they were GM powered. They were using them to cart livestock throughout SA. Pretty sure all 3 of them would still be sitting up the back of the blokes yard now. Will ask the old man more about the specs if he remembers, all I really remember is it being hot, loud and slow.
I actually saw one working in Adelaide around 4 or 5 years ago belonging to Dickerson's from Kingston SE.

Time to create page: 0.475 seconds