Skip to main content

My truck ran over me

More
6 years 10 months ago #184394 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic My truck ran over me
Once, you d make a mistake,have a quick look around see if anyone saw it,and get on with it.Now its a big crime if you dont dob yourself in.I used to like the drivers who would hang out of the cab looking backward to back a semi.I remember one bloke used to stand up on the seat and look over the roof,steering with one foot.Love to see that in one of the orange jacket and safety rails depots.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184401 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic My truck ran over me
A 2233 benz tipper almost got me at christmas time, I got under it on "flat" ground to connect an air line to the wet tank and give the apparently stuck starter a whack with a big hammer, lucky I had that hammer because as soon as that tank was full the POS started to roll, thinking quickly I jammed the hammer under the drive tyres and shot out of there quick time, when I got out I was shaking looking at how close I came to having my head run over, it can happen that easily.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184402 by BigAl
Replied by BigAl on topic My truck ran over me
Similar for me years back, Had a call out to a truck and dog that had jammed the trailer. Ol mate tells me its ready, truck brake is on but trailer is supplied.
Lay down under the draw bar and take a few swings and the slacky, brake frees up and the whole combo starts to roll away. Lucky he was a fast runner and I wasn't laying across the tyre path

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
6 years 10 months ago #184404 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic My truck ran over me
.Only a couple of years ago a B double driver in one of the well known transport companies was hooking up the
trailers . As he plugged in the air lines the whole thing took off and ran over him. The finding was, after backing
under the trailers, the truck was left in neutral and the maxis were not applied..... a fatal mistake........
.........................Billy...........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #184405 by busman
Replied by busman on topic My truck ran over me
Yups, easily done.
I have learnt not to get out of the drivers seat with anything else on my mind.
First time I was at CPF for a service, I usually leave here at about 4 to miss some of that early traffic on the Bruce (here is Morayfield)
When I got there this time, there was a bloody prime mover in my spot !!!!
Hummpphh! Will have to pull in behind him. Busting for an early morning dump so took off to the crapper. Sitting there felt some sort of movement, then a thump. Fook me. Looked out the window and the prime mover had backed into me ! Or I had rolled down the hill into him ?
Yup, that was the case, head pokes out of the sleeper and WTF ?
Both get out and start discussing the mangled light bar across the tractor rear, can't remember if it was $5K or $8K he said it cost.
After hanging me out to dry for a few minutes he started pointing out which one the boss had done, which one Dave had done, which one he had done, seems I had only broken one lens of one of the LED's, phew !
Second time, head of our driveway which has a bridge on it, over an easement, off by myself but on a promise, stopped at the top to double check, decided to check the kitchen cupboard doors again, as I was doing that looked out the window and saw the grass beside the driveway going past, backwards ! Up the front in double quick time and yank the lever on, got out to look at the damage, trailer was almost parallel with VP, but 180 degrees from where should have been, coupling broken, box on the front with washing machine torn off, big mess, you get the picture, took some to repair it all.
Now, so paranoid that I sit there for a bit when we stop, apply maxis, know that I have done it but still come back for a check after getting up and walking away.
Only truly happy when all the air has leaked out and I know she is anchored to the ground !

Another recent funny one, had just left Munduberra and stopped at a truck stop for a check as I usually do when it is possible. Found a coolant line to the trailer radiator was leaking and the clip was all the way up. No problem there are some others in the spare tyre well in the trailer, under the Suzuki. Take the car out, nah?
Reckon I can slide down the side of the Suzy and reach the bag of clips. As I was sliding down I had a thought, "I hope I don't get stuck here"
Got the clips out and slid them towards the door and went to get up, you got it, lot easier to slide down than up. Repeated attempts no use.
After lying there considering my options and remembering how cold it was up there the last couple of nights, I decided I had better get myself out of there or I was going to die that night. Once I had that thought in my head it seemed to give me a bit extra and I was able to slide up and out. Next time I will bother taking the car out !!!

Really glad that others make the same FU though !

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by busman.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184406 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic My truck ran over me
Have seen this before. Hook up to the trailer, give it a tug test. jump out ( WITHOUT APPLYING THE PARK BRAKE) finish coupling up and away it gos.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184407 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic My truck ran over me
Perhaps this explains a question that has been bothering me for ages.
Whenever I see an airbag equipped truck/trailer parked up, it's down on the bags in no time.
I thought it was pretty poor, having such big leaks that they drop so quickly but now I'm thinking it's deliberate so the maxis come on….just in case the sleeping driver has forgotten ????

More
6 years 10 months ago #184409 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic My truck ran over me

busman wrote: Yups, easily done.
I have learnt not to get out of the drivers seat with anything else on my mind.
First time I was at CPF for a service, I usually leave here at about 4 to miss some of that early traffic on the Bruce (here is Morayfield)
When I got there this time, there was a bloody prime mover in my spot !!!!
Hummpphh! Will have to pull in behind him. Busting for an early morning dump so took off to the crapper. Sitting there felt some sort of movement, then a thump. Fook me. Looked out the window and the prime mover had backed into me ! Or I had rolled down the hill into him ?
Yup, that was the case, head pokes out of the sleeper and WTF ?
Both get out and start discussing the mangled light bar across the tractor rear, can't remember if it was $5K or $8K he said it cost.
After hanging me out to dry for a few minutes he started pointing out which one the boss had done, which one Dave had done, which one he had done, seems I had only broken one lens of one of the LED's, phew !
Second time, head of our driveway which has a bridge on it, over an easement, off by myself but on a promise, stopped at the top to double check, decided to check the kitchen cupboard doors again, as I was doing that looked out the window and saw the grass beside the driveway going past, backwards ! Up the front in double quick time and yank the lever on, got out to look at the damage, trailer was almost parallel with VP, but 180 degrees from where should have been, coupling broken, box on the front with washing machine torn off, big mess, you get the picture, took some to repair it all.
Now, so paranoid that I sit there for a bit when we stop, apply maxis, know that I have done it but still come back for a check after getting up and walking away.
Only truly happy when all the air has leaked out and I know she is anchored to the ground !

Another recent funny one, had just left Munduberra and stopped at a truck stop for a check as I usually do when it is possible. Found a coolant line to the trailer radiator was leaking and the clip was all the way up. No problem there are some others in the spare tyre well in the trailer, under the Suzuki. Take the car out, nah?
Reckon I can slide down the side of the Suzy and reach the bag of clips. As I was sliding down I had a thought, "I hope I don't get stuck here"
Got the clips out and slid them towards the door and went to get up, you got it, lot easier to slide down than up. Repeated attempts no use.
After lying there considering my options and remembering how cold it was up there the last couple of nights, I decided I had better get myself out of there or I was going to die that night. Once I had that thought in my head it seemed to give me a bit extra and I was able to slide up and out. Next time I will bother taking the car out !!!

Really glad that others make the same FU though !

Bugger me I think we may need to wrap you in bubble wrap LOL

All jokes aside it is good people talk about these things as that is how we learn
It also shows that no matter how good we think we are most times the human is the weak link in the chain
Those that have never stuffed up are either full of crap or have never tried

As a farmer most of my stuff ups are farm related so dont really apply to this forum but saying that I think good luck has a lot to do with the fact that Im still alive rather than just good planning

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 10 months ago #184410 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic My truck ran over me
A cousin of mine had an Inter with a dodgy starter switch/wiring and would get under it and bridge the starter with a screwdriver.
One day did it but it was in gear and it jumped forward with front tyre ending up to him.
Unfortunately it killed him.
Have seen a bottle gas delivery truck here in the West with some sort of interlock to the parkbrake, no sure how it was setup but would sound an alarm if you tried to get out without the brake being on.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184411 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic My truck ran over me
I can remember 15-20 yrs ago one of the Large Concrete/Quarry Mobs trialing a gadget that put the Parkbrake on every time the Drivers door was opened.
From memory It was some type of solenoid wired into the interior light switch at the Drivers door..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds