Skip to main content

My truck ran over me

More
6 years 10 months ago #184412 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic My truck ran over me

Blackduck59 wrote: A cousin of mine had an Inter with a dodgy starter switch/wiring and would get under it and bridge the starter with a screwdriver.
One day did it but it was in gear and it jumped forward with front tyre ending up to him.

I had a very lucky escape doing the same thing to a large articulated Tractor...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
6 years 10 months ago #184417 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic My truck ran over me
.Another thing that worried me was the amount of experienced drivers that used the trailer brakes as parking brakes.
One day I was loading in the brick yard and a out of town semi pulled up behind me.The driver jumped out and took off
to where ever, I finished wrapping my load up and climbed into the cab to fill out my paperwork etc.
Fires old 838 up when Bang, what in the hell was that ???
Jumps out and here is that semi jammed up against the back of my old girl.........
Has a look in the cab, sure enough, the trailer handle is on and the maxis are off and box not in gear.
Finds the driver and he accuses me of backing into him.......
A lot of people don't (or didn't back then) realise once the handle is pulled and the burst of air puts the brakes on.,
that's it,, no more air supply, if there is a leak , once that bit of air is gone ,off come the brakes and away she goes...........
(That's the way the system used to work anyway)
.............................Billy..............................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184418 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic My truck ran over me
Yes Billy, in the olden days there was a lever on the dash called Emergency Trailer Brake.
Just a valve that dumped the air to the trailer so the trailer break-away valve thought she was disconnected and applied full brakes from its tank. Of course if there were any leaks to the boosters etc pretty soon the brakes came off.
Bloke who drove the foundry semi had the bad habit of using it for a handbrake and vehicle maintenance was sad on a unit that only drove the 500 metres from scrap yard to foundry.
Looked out the window one smoko and here's the old Acco semi with 2-full charge ladles wobbling on the back. She's doing her own thing, rolling backwards down the street with parked cars on one side and half completed rail cars on the other.
Didn't hit a thing and came to rest all by itself, gentle as you like at the scrap yard, bottom of the incline.
Driver appeared after smoko and would not believe someone hadn't moved it.
No lesson learned that day.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184433 by mercskeepmeinajob
Seen it too many times. Buses when the driver opens the front door and some buses apply a small pressure to the footbrake front wheels to hold the bus. Buses leak air and bus departs stop without any passengers. Had a good job once to a coal mine where a bus had ended up at the bottom of the pit after being parked for a while. 2 days plane flights to Emerald all to unplug one wire.

Many years ago with Clayton Dewandre handbrakes, driver sets park brake and parks bus at terminus at top of the hill. Driver ambles down to public telephone at bottom of hill to ring depot regarding problem with bus brakes and says it just went past me while I'm talking to despatcher. wiped out 4 cars and crossed a major road and took out a major fence and an 11kva transformer.

Across the road from me 1st work day after Christmas one year the guy couldn't get his car carrying truck to go so called for a jump start. An hour later when the truck is running all sweet it decided to go to work without him. Took out 3 cars 1 of them his own and the telegraph pole at the end of the street. I went out after electricity in my place went off straight after I heard loud bang, heard driver on phone saying to his boss You won't believe what happened took off the jumper leads and truck just left without me.

Funniest one was on a Variety Bash few years ago couple of guys in a HR holden stopped just before this creek and were standing beside the car as we pulled up beside them. They both came over to my passenger side window and explained since they had been driving on dirt the brakes had been making a squeeling noise. As i was looking at them & seeing their car slowing rolling forward to the creek I said that perhaps they should try using the handbrake, because if they don't use it soon they will both be squeeling louder than the brakes.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184436 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic My truck ran over me

hayseed wrote:

Blackduck59 wrote: A cousin of mine had an Inter with a dodgy starter switch/wiring and would get under it and bridge the starter with a screwdriver.
One day did it but it was in gear and it jumped forward with front tyre ending up to him.

I had a very lucky escape doing the same thing to a large articulated Tractor...

Uncle of mine on his rice farm at Deni didnt have the lucky escape doing the exact same thing on his Muir Hill tractor
They found him tractor and scarifier in the irrigation channel

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds