Skip to main content

What model Kenworth?

More
14 years 3 months ago #20397 by aussiebigbangers
Nice .Can not recall ever seeing a photo of these ones with the guards.. :o

David.

! !  Without Trucks Australia Stops  ! !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 2 months ago #20398 by
Replied by on topic Re: What model Kenworth?

G'day all.

Can someone provide the details of this Kenworth model? Pic taken around 1971-1973. Adelaide Darwin run.

Cheers

Roland Holder

Roland, truck was ordered for Petrocarb Exploration. Model: W 924. NTC 350. RT 12513. KWM. 44DTC, 4.11/5.60:1 . 190"WB. It was operated by Mick Evans in Darwin for a while. It turned up at KW Lansvale about 79. regards Jeff

14 years 2 months ago #20399 by
Roland, the chassis # 400274... Jeff

More
14 years 2 months ago #20400 by Roland Holder

G'day all.

Can someone provide the details of this Kenworth model? Pic taken around 1971-1973. Adelaide Darwin run.

Cheers

Roland Holder

Roland, truck was ordered for Petrocarb Exploration. Model: W 924. NTC 350. RT 12513. KWM. 44DTC, 4.11/5.60:1 . 190"WB. It was operated by Mick Evans in Darwin for a while. It turned up at KW Lansvale about 79. regards Jeff

Cheers Jeff thats interesting to hear. Any thoughts where she ended up after that?

Thanks

Roland Holder

would be great

11 years 2 months ago #20401 by
I know that i have resurrected an old thread,but the thread has the answer I was looking for.
I took this pic at the Gatton 2012 truck show,

I had not seen a 'w' model with Fiberglass guards before. I than find a lot more pics of the same 'w' model at Gatton and Allora,

Thanks to Krusy, Bigcam,and Elgindale for their pics. I need to know more.
To day i found this pic on Google

andI know that they must be more than one.
I also found a pic of three Kenworths at Ayers Rock with the same guards and that led me back to the h.c.v.c site and here was the answer that you guys knew all along
A big thanks to all that had posted on this subject.
LN 700

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #20402 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: What model Kenworth?

that my friend is actually an LW924 very similar to a W924 but with the different front guards. Not overly common here in Aus but quite a few were sent to NZ, I believe they were the first model of KW for NZ.

Werkhorse, I think the first KWs in N.Z. were Canadian L923R or L924R models built at the Canadian Kenworth plant at Burnaby, British Colombia, they had the old cab with the doors with the squared off corners. LW923R/LW924R models had the W model cab with the bulkhead doors. The L models and the first LWs had steel guards, later LWs had the fibreglass guards like the ones in the photos in this topic. The first Kiwi KWs were supplied to N.Z. Forest Products and Wilkins and Davies Construction Company in 1964 or 1965. W & D's ones had NH250 Cummins, 4 x 4 speed Spicers, and Timken SUD 55,000 lbs rearends. NZFP also had a couple of Canadian heavy spec off road L848 models with NT280 Cummins motors, 4 x 4 twin stick Spicer boxes and Timken SFD/SFDD4640 65,000 lbs rearend on 24" rims.

NZFP L848-courtesy NZFP Archive.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 2 months ago #20403 by fageol100

Another photo of one of the big L848s-courtesy NZFP archive.

More
11 years 2 months ago #20404 by fageol100

NZFP KW L923R-courtesy Kerry Hill Archive.

11 years 2 months ago #20405 by
Just reading through this post,never noticed it before....
In a nutshell... CemNTepede & JmackB are pretty much "spot on"....
The photo at the start is a Australian built W924 not a LW and the steel folding hood with fibreglass guards is original,my info on Aussie built KWs is pretty limited but I don't know of any LW900s built in Australia for Australia.From what I can gather LWs are a on-highway/off-highway application and usually have heavy specced rears and fairly low ratio as well.
Love the pics of the NZ KWs fageol.For some reason most or all of the early NZ KWs in the 1960s came from Canada,I've heard some story about dealing within the commonwealth but not sure if there is any truth in it and I do believe the majority of the steel hooded ones were L900s or LW900s. Cheers James.

More
9 years 8 months ago #20406 by JC
Replied by JC on topic Re: What model Kenworth?
just because I thought a pic or two of Dad's old girl belonged here in this thread too :)
jc junior

[IMG

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds