Skip to main content

Cummins 160 parked for 10 years. Will it run?

More
10 months 3 days ago #246293 by IHScout
To borrow a line from my favourite YouTuber Vice Grip Garage "Parked for 10 years. Will it run?", now I've almost got the gearbox sorted I am almost ready to take the D-Line Inter for a test run, but, as the truck has been sitting patiently for at least 10 years waiting for me to pull my finger out, I need to think about what tender loving care might need to be administered before I turn the key. I've already noted that the brake pedal is hard as a rock, so a master cylinder overhaul might be on the cards. Any other suggestions?

Dennis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 days ago #246296 by PaulFH
Check for movement and lubrication at as many moving components that you can access.
Coolant condition is most important. Check water pump and belts.
Clean fresh fuel through the whole system.
Sump oil in serviceable condition, free of water contamination.
Crank with fuel off until oil pressure present.

Those U - Tube stories are a concern. I would prefer to see some more preparation done.

Good luck with the project. They were good machinery in the day if well cared for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, wee-allis, JOHN.K.

More
10 months 3 days ago #246297 by JOHN.K.
Turn the motor over by hand before you try to turn with the starter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
10 months 3 days ago #246299 by jon_d
Check behind the sun visor for a Huntsman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, overlander, PaulFH, asw120

More
10 months 3 days ago #246301 by Mrsmackpaul
No real good answers from me

Maybe check the vent on the brake booster wasp nest

Check oil, clean diesel

Maybe pull the injectors out and wind it over with no compression until you get oil pressure

Dunno if thats needed or not

I would wind it over a couple of times by hand to feel for any tight spots

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, PaulFH

More
10 months 3 days ago #246303 by PaulFH
With rocker cover off you can check for stuck valves, avoiding camshaft, pushrod and rocker damage.
Army plant training included cranking the larger diesel engines, decompressed and fuel off until oil pressure evident. They had plenty of money for new batteries.
Some had trouble with the C160 from not keeping the correct coolant. Old habits, just put some water in it. We know better these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, overlander

More
10 months 3 days ago #246304 by JOHN.K.
Funny mention of the spider ........I was driving the D2F I had ,with a new driver ,when a spider the size of a dinner plate came out .....the guy was out on the mudguard screaming ,and we were doing close to 60 mph..........dont mention I was hanging out the other door.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian

More
10 months 3 days ago - 10 months 3 days ago #246307 by 77louie400
A good chance the water pipe to the oil cooler on the righthand side will leek, you can make a new one out of stainless pretty easy, I got a real good 160 with a 20 foot ally tray 25 or so years ago, because of that pipe leaking, at a clearing sale for $800, sold for enough 10 years later after using it for a stock truck to buy the Louie that I have now.
Last edit: 10 months 3 days ago by 77louie400.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, overlander, PaulFH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
10 months 3 days ago #246308 by BillyP
Will it run ......Of corse it will.......
If your pre-flight check is OK ......and a little sniff no doubt ......

...............Billy.............

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, PaulFH

More
10 months 1 day ago #246324 by PaulFH
Wisconsin V4 motors on engine function hay balers only used for 3 months a year.
Shut down at end of season, remove a plug from intake manifold and pour in oil until engine stalled. Prevent valves sticking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds